2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
I'm still not sold on Jones. I haven't been too impressed when I've seen him play and he needs to fix that strike out and no plate discipline problem before I consider him a future top player. However, he's got a ton of potential. Hell, even Pie still has a lot of potential.

Most importantly though, Markakis is 99.9999% of the sex in the O's outfield. I'd possibly give not just one, but both of my nuts to have Markakis on this team. He's like an even awesomer version of Sweeney! I don't know, it seems like I have a fetish for lefty throwing and hitting outfielders. I love Sweeney, Ethier, and Markakis.

He's not a finished product by any stretch. But he might be (and this is ridiculous considering how young he is) the best defensive CF in all of baseball. His offense should without question catch up with his d.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
He's not a finished product by any stretch. But he might be (and this is ridiculous considering how young he is) the best defensive CF in all of baseball. His offense should without question catch up with his d.

Yeah, you can see this better at the games, too. He gets reads on the ball and he has fantastic range thanks to his feet. Many times you see him camped right under a ball because he got there so fast, which as far as I'm concerned is the mark of an elite defensive CF. Then you have Markakis over on his left, so there really isn't much of a gap out there in right-center.

Padres Closer Heath Bell.

“I saw John Kruk on “Baseball Tonight” and he said, ‘They’re playing really well, but I don’t believe in them,’” Bell said before Monday’s game. “And I saw ESPN’s promo for tonight’s game. They mention the Mets are opening Citi Field, they mentioned the starting time, but nowhere did they mention the Padres. That gave me the (expletive).”

Bell was just getting warmed up in his pregame commentary.

“I truly believe ESPN only cares about promoting the Red Sox and Yankees and Mets - and nobody else,” said the closer, a former Met. “That’s why I like the MLB Network, because they promote everybody. I’m really turned off by ESPN and ‘Baseball Tonight.’ When Jake Peavy threw 8 1/3 innings on Saturday, they showed one pitch in the third inning and that was it. It’s all about the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets.”

Former Royals and Mets hurler Ambiorix Burgos (yeah, remember him?) was sentenced to 9 months in jail for beating his now ex-girlfriend.

Former Mets and Royals pitcher Ambiorix Burgos has been sentenced to nine months in jail for beating his girlfriend in a hotel near Shea Stadium, prosecutors told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old reliever was sentenced after a jury convicted him of assault last month in the Sept. 8 attack, during which he threw his girlfriend against the wall and hit her repeatedly.

Prosecutors say Burgos punched, slapped and stepped on his then-girlfriend Maria Lopez when she tried to leave the hotel.

She testified that he told her, "The police won't do anything to me. I am a baseball player."

Burgos was released by New York in December. He was 1-0 with a 3.42 ERA in 17 games with the Mets in 2007, and he pitched in the Minor Leagues last season.

Nice guy.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
4 extra inning games today and boston vs oakland is tied in the 8th

Ended up being the longest of the day (12 innings) and was ended on a travis buck single with the bases load off lopez.

Obviously not the most important thing, but I'm curious what others think about grass mowing patterns. I'm kind of sick of the Cell's plain stripe pattern in the grass. This is no commentary on the Sodfather's fine field or the quality of his grass or drainage system, just the pattern in which it's cut. I like, for instance, what Citi Field looks like, kind of a plaid look. Fenway has a nice pattern (which they switch up with some frequency, so I liked what I happened to see last year). I like the team logos painted behind home plate or mowed into the outfield. It would be difficult to put the script Sox in the OF, but what about the sock logo? I also dig Comerica's dirt path between home and the mound.