2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Ian Kinsler is amazing. 6-6 while hitting with for cycle.

That offense is devastating. I love the way they're using Andruw Jones. And it looks like Nelson Cruz has finally figured things out. Just imagine the offensive numbers Texas will be putting up during the summer months, especially in their ballpark.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
I thought the Mariners would be good this year, never though they would look this good, this fast.

I thought they could surprise. They have probably the best defensive club in the majors (or at least the best defensive outfield).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
Obviously not the most important thing, but I'm curious what others think about grass mowing patterns. I'm kind of sick of the Cell's plain stripe pattern in the grass. This is no commentary on the Sodfather's fine field or the quality of his grass or drainage system, just the pattern in which it's cut. I like, for instance, what Citi Field looks like, kind of a plaid look. Fenway has a nice pattern (which they switch up with some frequency, so I liked what I happened to see last year). I like the team logos painted behind home plate or mowed into the outfield. It would be difficult to put the script Sox in the OF, but what about the sock logo? I also dig Comerica's dirt path between home and the mound.

Honestly, I care about that as much as I care what number Scotty Pods will wear if he gets called up.

QUOTE (tommy @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
Gary Sizemore just hit a grand slam at the new Yankees stadium, it is now 8-1 Indians.

Slam was off D. Marte.

I was watching on MLB Network and Harold Reynolds asked the 3rd guy in the booth, haven't caught who it is, if the NYY bullpen woes are do to it being early in the season. The 3rd guy actually gave an honest answer and said no, that's what ST is for... I can only imagine if one of ESPN guys was asked that question.

I used to love watching Dodgers games late at night when Gagne would come in and dominate the opposition. Broxton is getting to that level now also. He has the best fastball in the majors. That Dodgers team is fantastic, especially if Martin remembers he's supposed to be good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
I used to love watching Dodgers games late at night when Gagne would come in and dominate the opposition. Broxton is getting to that level now also. He has the best fastball in the majors. That Dodgers team is fantastic, especially if Martin remembers he's supposed to be good.

billingsly really coming into his own too....that team is probably the best in the NL...and alot of their young guys are only gonna get better (kemp, ethier, loney, broxton, billlingsly, kershaw)

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
billingsly really coming into his own too....that team is probably the best in the NL...and alot of their young guys are only gonna get better (kemp, ethier, loney, broxton, billlingsly, kershaw)

Logan White and even Paul Depodesta did some great things for that organization.

NOTE: THE BELOW COMMENT IS TAKEN FROM A DEADSPIN WRITE-IN AND SHOULD BE REGARDED AS SPECULATION

however it is still pretty interesting

I'm sure you get thousands of these types of e-mails and I wouldn't blame you for not believing me and I'm probably being naive for believing a Yankee loving Massachusetts Statie but he told me that one of his cop friends works regularly at Fenway and stated in no uncertain terms that Manny Ramierz had intercourse with Edgar Renteria's wife all up and down the 2005 baseball season, thus being the reason Edgar had such problems adapting to Boston and the Red Sox as a whole. Me, personally, I have no way of verifying such a claim, since I'm, you know, a construction worker with no sources inside of the game of baseball, but this gentleman was adamant about such a claim and I believe him because that just sounds too stupid to make up. Please do some investigative reporting and let me know what you find out. Thanks.

if this was something that is known, I missed it. But DAAAAAAAYUM that is quite the explanation of Renteria's problems in beantown

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)

I watched baseball tonight for the first time in a while last night, and they barely showed anything of Grienke's or Wandy Rodriguez's outings and they, guess what, focused on the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, and Manny! They had Tim Kurkijan do one those 5 minute things about how the Yankees allowed 14 in an inning. I mean, who the hell cares? Yankees gave up a lot of runs, big whoop. The Royals could have allowed 27 runs in one inning vs. the Mariners, and they wouldn't do anything special. But because it was the Yankees, they had to talk about how it was the most runs ever allowed in one inning, etc. I doubt they did any special s*** for when JD and PK went back to back for no. 300 each, and that is a whole lot more impressive and special than the Yankees allowing 14 in one inning.

And then last night they spent time actually talking about how Jed Lowrie is likely out for the year! Are you freaking kidding me? You are actually spending more than 3 seconds talking about Jed Lowrie's injury? It is just god awful.

MLBN is lightyears better than ESPN and Baseball Tonight. While we're on the subject, NFLN >>>>>> ESPN and NFL Live. The only thing I use ESPN for anymore is Sports Center once in a while, and College Gameday during the football season.