knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love The Onion...

Outfielders Take Knee, Infielders Move Up In New 'Jason Varitek Shift'

Varitek.article_large.jpg

BOSTON—As the 2009 baseball season progresses, major-league managers are defending against Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek by employing what they call the "Varitek Shift," a defensive maneuver in which infielders move up past the pitcher's mound and outfielders take a knee and relax. "It's very effective," Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters. "If Jason makes contact with the ball, which is rare in itself, he usually hits slow dribblers that catch infielders by surprise because of how weak they're hit. So, by moving the infielders up, and having the pitcher rush home plate after the pitch has been thrown, [Varitek] has virtually no chance of reaching base. If runners are on when he comes up, we may have the outfielders cover first, second, and third to ensure a double or triple play." Gardenhire added that it doesn't matter if the switch-hitting Varitek bats right- or left-handed, as the shift is foolproof.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)

LETS BRING HIM BACK! EVERY FORMER WHITE SOX MEMBER WHO HAS EXPERIENCED ANY TYPE OF SUCCESS MUST BE RUMORED TO RETURN HERE!

FORMER WORLD SERIES MEMBER!

COOP WILL FIX HIM!

WHY NOT? LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD!

HE HAS THAT SPICY LATIN PERSONALITY GUILLEN LOVES!

Nothing against you bschmanranz, you were just reporting the news, but I have to throw out these lines before anyone else does.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
LETS BRING HIM BACK! EVERY FORMER WHITE SOX MEMBER WHO HAS EXPERIENCED ANY TYPE OF SUCCESS MUST BE RUMORED TO RETURN HERE!

COOP WILL FIX HIM!

Nothing against you bschmanranz, you were just reporting the news, but I have to throw out these lines before anyone else does.

Plus he has perfected a new pitch he calls The Sweat Ball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
Anybody notice that the Red Sox are emphatically debunking the myth that you can't have a contending ML team while maintaining a productive farm system at the same time? Since 2005, their farm has produced Papelbon, Ramirez (who they turned into Beckett), Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Delcarmen and Lowrie. Lowrie goes down a couple weeks ago and they insert Nick Green, who at his age doesn't qualify as a true prospect, but is putting up a line so far of .302/.375/.488/.863. Daisuke Matsuzaka, who's overrated as hell, but still a big part of their rotation, goes down and all they do is insert Justin Masterson, who in 6 games (the last two as a starter) is sporting a 2.70 ERA. They just called up Michael Bowden (who's ranked #83 on BA's top 100 prospects list) for one day, I guess. And he looked f***in' awesome in two innings against NY last night. It won't be long before he's back up to stay. I don't even know who the hell Hunter Jones is. But he looked good as well. They've got Lars Anderson, who's ranked the 17th best prospect by BA, waiting in the wings. Daniel Bard, who's ranked the 98th best prospect by BA, is putting up filthy numbers at AAA right now. That just gives them more quality depth pitching wise. Say what you will about the Red Sox and their fans (who I despise), but that organization has got it's s*** together. They've blown right by the Yankees as the premier franchise in baseball.

Yes, while I don't like the Red Sox I'm glad they are debunking that myth. We always heard that about the White Sox farm, that it's tough to produce a great farm system when you're drafting low. I always thought that was the most ridiculous argument to make, especially in baseball, but people pointed to a majority of the Rays top guys as being high picks. So I'm glad there is an organization out there that's proving winning and developing are not counter to each other.

COOP WILL FIX HIM!

It's good to get them all out of the way now.

VETERAN LEADERSHIP

COULD HE BE WORSE THAN CONTRERAS RIGHT NOW?

IT WON'T COST MUCH

IT CAN'T HURT

anymore?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Matt Vasgersian displays a complete lack of tact:

I love the MLB Network and it blows away BBTN, but the one complaint I have is with their live updates/cut-ins. They constantly have wrong names or are confused to what is going on and there's been some other bad ad-lib attempts. Now this is obviously an extreme example, but if there's one complaint that they can tighten up is their live cuts and updates.

Which is something that is going to inevitably happen, unfortunately with the live cut-ins. Obviously, it's last minute stuff, there's no way to do a teleprompter read or anything like that, but wrong names are inexcusable.

COOP WILL FIX HIM!

You son of a... :chair

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
I wish they would get Peavy and a healthy Hoffman.

it's a small sample, but September of last year and this year haven't been anything great. Again, it's a small sample size so it could be just a blip, but I imagine if the Pads put him on the market again scouts will scrutinize him heavily and look for red flags

Stat-Minded Player Recalculating VORP Before Every At Bat

Mutaro.article_large.jpg

TORONTO—Always mindful of his contributions on offense, Blue Jays shortstop Marco Scutaro has been observed determining his precise value over replacement player (VORP) before every at bat. "Let me see here.... Subtract hits from my total number of at bats, okay, and multiply the league's current average runs per out by my total number of outs so far this year, which is 57. Bring in the old Marginal Lineup Value, and just quickly normalize the numbers with the park factors," Scutaro said to himself while writing mathematical equations in the dirt next to the on-deck circle. "Carry the one. That leaves me with an 8.8, I think. Nice." Scutaro then struck out on three consecutive pitches.

via The Onion

for one of the worst calls you'll ever see, check out the bottom of the 6th inning of today's yankees game. Jeter swings all the way thru strike three but ducks as if he's avoiding a ball in too tight. Neither the HP of 1b ump called it a swing. two pitches later he hits a lead off double in a 1-1 game.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 2, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
for one of the worst calls you'll ever see, check out the bottom of the 6th inning of today's yankees game. Jeter swings all the way thru strike three but ducks as if he's avoiding a ball in too tight. Neither the HP of 1b ump called it a swing. two pitches later he hits a lead off double in a 1-1 game.

Justice served, Yankees lose.

Just watching MLB Network and highlights of 1996 World Series. Jermaine Dye's defense was terrible as always, but I got quite the laugh out of seeing him pulled for LUIS F'N POLONIA with 2 on, 2 outs in game 5. A future World Series MVP got yanked so a future pedophile could hit.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Just watching MLB Network and highlights of 1996 World Series. Jermaine Dye's defense was terrible as always, but I got quite the laugh out of seeing him pulled for LUIS F'N POLONIA with 2 on, 2 outs in game 5. A future World Series MVP got yanked so a future pedophile could hit.

Polonia was a good veteran hitter with postseason experience who hit over .400 in pinch hitting duties that year.

Dye was a 22 year old rookie who was hitting under .200 in his first postseason.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
Polonia was a good veteran hitter with postseason experience who hit over .400 in pinch hitting duties that year.

Dye was a 22 year old rookie who was hitting under .200 in his first postseason.

And the funny thing was that Polonia crushed it, but got caught at the fence.