2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 9, 2009 -> 04:56 AM)
Since 1957, the MLB record for the longest consecutive game streak of 20 _____ or less (not including zero) by a player who was in the starting lineup is three games, by the "the big hurt".

What word belongs in the blank?

I will answer it in a day or so if anyone wants to take a crack at it... unless someone of course gets it before hand.

Answer?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ May 11, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Answer?

In 1958, starting pitcher Stan Williams of the Dodgers had less than 20 pitches (12, 17, and 13) in three consecutive games. No other starting pitcher from 1957-2007 has ever thrown less than 20 pitches in 3 straight starts. The funny thing is, he did not get shelled in these games. He only gave up 3 runs total. According to his baseball-reference bio, Stan's nicknames were "Big Daddy" and "The Big Hurt". He was/is 6'5", 230 lbs.

I'm here to jinx Ryan Zimmerman.

Is anyone else sick of ESPN kind of encouraging throwing back baseballs from the stands?

Watching some highlights today WSH - SF lady holding a baby ends up getting the ball, and she throws it right back on the field, while she is applauded by everyone, ESPN showing it like it's 'cool' /end rant

QUOTE (G&T @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
The only word I could come up with for the trivia question that made sense was pitches, but I thought it was Frank Thomas and then I got really confused.

I dont know if this has been posted anywhere else on here, but did anyone listen to Clemens interview with Mike and Mike this morning? He actually said it would be suicide if he took steroids because of the history of heart disease in his family and used his step dad as an example of said heart disease running through his family.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
I dont know if this has been posted anywhere else on here, but did anyone listen to Clemens interview with Mike and Mike this morning? He actually said it would be suicide if he took steroids because of the history of heart disease in his family and used his step dad as an example of said heart disease running through his family.

This is my exact reasoning for thinking derosa is not a candidate for steroids, been known for quite a while now that he has heart problems.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)

Heyman today

My favorite part of the Roger Clemens interview came when he said steroids could be bad for him because of his family history, and then cited his stepfather's heart attack as evidence.

My second favorite part was when he said he was going to be the same "outgoing" person he's always been. Funny, I missed that side of him. In my experiences covering him over the years, he was intense, dark, snobby, aloof and intimidating, but rarely outgoing. The only times he seemed to really get excited was when another person of close or equal fame was around.

He loved the rich and famous, like himself. As for others, well, they were just bit players in the play in which he starred. So it shouldn't be surprising he's suing his former trainer, Brian McNamee, who was a mere pawn in his game and is now the enemy for telling the truth when pressed by the feds about Clemens' steroid use.

Clemens also repeated the claim that McNamee never gave him steroids or HGH on ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning," calling the show's stars "Greeny" and "Goli" (Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic). It seems he is intent on repeating these claims until no one believes him (even Greeny said he thought Clemens was guilty).

I texted McNamee as to whether he'd like to respond to Clemens' latest claims, which were timed to counter the release of the Daily News' book American Icon, which Clemens claims is full of "lies." The response from McNamee: "Noooo! Sorry." Which makes sense. It's best to quit while you're ahead. And while we're still in the fifth inning of this drama, it's about 20-zip for McNamee.

I will never understand Clemens' "strategy" to lie on 60 Minutes, (I watched that with McNamee), and then lie to Congress, but I do suspect that since Clemens was so impressed by celebrity, he figured everyone else would be, too. I don't believe, as some have hypothesized, that Clemens believes his own lies. His denials aren't even close to convincing. He stammers and stutters and doesn't sound nearly convincing enough. I firmly believe Clemens thought the PED use was justified to enhance a career he felt his admirers were enjoying immensely and deserved to enjoy more. So in his mind, he believes he was doing it to help his fans, his subjects, his followers and other pawns in his play.

But now he is helping no one with these lies, least of all himself. While the feds haven't made their move on him yet, I firmly believe -- and many baseball people believe -- he has more chance to wind up in jail than Barry Bonds. And frankly, he deserves it more.

Bonds' alleged crime is that he told a grand jury years ago that he didn't "knowingly" take steroids. Sure, technically, I wouldn't buy it. But Bonds didn't go on 60 Minutes to lie. He didn't lie to Congress while under oath. And as one baseball person said to me yesterday, there's something almost admirable in Bonds' defiance. Maybe, maybe not. But I do think six years is long enough to pursue a case against someone who tells a murky story about steroids, even under oath.

Sources say Clemens is being pursued even harder by the feds at this point, and I think that's the right course. Sources say the feds are taking their time and making sure they get their man. Steroids are a silly reason to go to jail, but I don't feel sorry for Clemens, whose ego is as big as all of Texas. As hard as it is to fathom, I am starting to feel sorry for Bonds.

Bonds didn't drag his wife into it like Clemens did. Bonds didn't drag his buddy's father into it like Clemens did (Andy Pettitte's dad). Bonds didn't lie about anyone else like Clemens did. Bonds didn't falsely sue anyone like Clemens did. Right now, Bonds looks like the better guy. And more importantly, he looks like the guy with the better case, too.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
Did anyone else see the highlights of Jayson Werth stealing 3 bases in an inning the other night?

That might be the first time I've ever seen a guy steal home on the throw back to the pitcher rather than on the pitch itself. I'm sure it's been done I've just never seen it.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)

Step dad? that is not part of his DNA what am I missing.