2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
Cecil Cooper wrote down the wrong lineup for the Astros tonight and Michael Bourn went up to bat 2x in the first inning.

Rangers turned a triple play.

David Ortiz (no I will not call him by his nickname) hit his first HR of the season.

First Maddon, now Cooper, what are these guys thinking about?

So Yanks went back to back to back, but only Melky sent one really deep, the other two, well.. 71 HR in 19 games in the new stadium. That's a lot.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
First Maddon, now Cooper, what are these guys thinking about?

So Yanks went back to back to back, but only Melky sent one really deep, the other two, well.. 71 HR in 19 games in the new stadium. That's a lot.

and I've heard they're afraid when they take down the old stadium it's going to be worse! Uncle Bud is going to have to step in if this keeps up and force them to put up wind screens or whatever is necessary, it's not in the best interest of baseball to have this going on

Even though we're playing them tonight, I really feel bad for the Pirates. They used to be such a storied franchise, and they have been just remarkably bad for so long now. They have one of the nicest, if not THE nicest new stadium in Baseball and no fans to pack it.

I hope they can put together a competitive team sometime soon, I know they have Pedro Alvarez coming soon, maybe that will help...

QUOTE (Cali @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Even though we're playing them tonight, I really feel bad for the Pirates. They used to be such a storied franchise, and they have been just remarkably bad for so long now. They have one of the nicest, if not THE nicest new stadium in Baseball and no fans to pack it.

I hope they can put together a competitive team sometime soon, I know they have Pedro Alvarez coming soon, maybe that will help...

Alvarez has been atrocious in the minors thus far. No one has hit the panic button yet, but this is his 2nd straight dissapointing season, the first being his final season at Vandy. Oh and I fully would love him in our organization so I'm not writing him off or anything. Clearly still one of the elite prospects in baseball.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)

Yeah, it's amazing how bad that team has been in the last 10-15 years. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but Cuban has expressed interest in buying them, at least it would give the fans some hope, maybe false hope, but they could get excited for a little.

The Brewers are a real great example of how you can build through the farm and then add a guy at the deadline to give yourself a legit shot... didn't work out for them, but if you picked the Brewers to go deep into the playoffs last year, it wasn't a bad pick. Even after losing Captain Cheesburger and Sheets they are putting up a hell of a showing, and from what I understand they have the system to make another impact move if they think they have a shot. Look, people can stroke the Cubs all they want, but that team has real issues and if a team wants to jump up they can give them a hell of a fight.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 25, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Anyone see that home run by Tex the other day? WTF? There is no way that ball should have even come close to leaving the park, let alone around 10 rows up.

That ball has to be juiced up.

Was it to the RF in Yankee Stadium? Because that has nothing to do with the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Was it to the RF in Yankee Stadium? Because that has nothing to do with the ball.

Nah. It was to left field.

Big Hurt did in KC. I think it was 2001 or 2002.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
Wandy Rodriguez of the Astros came in to today 3rd in MLB with a 1.83 ERA. It's up to 2.55 after a 5 run first put on him by the Reds.

Actually he lowered his ERA to 1.71 after the official scorer reversed his atrocious ruling from the first inning (Tejada straight up muffed a grounder from Taveras, ruled a hit) making all 5 runs unearned. The Reds added a 6th unearned run in the 3rd.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)
I've adopted the Diamondbacks as my (sorta) National League team. I really like the concept of a moneyball team actually hiring a moneyball manager. It was a bold move, and i love that kinda stuff.

Yep, and they suck. It's too bad, as they have the best announcer in baseball, Darren Sutton.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
I still can't figure out how that roster has turned out that poorly.

Chris Young has just been awful, Y. Petit is one of the worst pitchers I've ever seen, and Eric Byrnes should give a refund on his contract, as it's obvious he was a juicer.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
Yep, and they suck. It's too bad, as they have the best announcer in baseball, Darren Sutton.

They've improved, but you're right. The team is an utter contradiction. They're ran top to bottom by sabermetric guys, but they're entire roster is littered with guys who swing at EVERYTHING. They need to purge half of those guys, starting with Chris Young.