2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
does anyone else find it sad that Roy Halladay's 133 pitches thrown tonight is the most by any pitcher in the MLB since last year?

Hawk and Stone were talking about it today, and it's really stupid how pitchers are babied now and in result, some pitchers actually lose stuff and have their arms weakened.

I agree with Stone 100%. While maybe you shouldn't work pitchers as much as you did 20-30 years ago and beyond, there's no reason why pitchers shouldn't be able to average at least 120 pitches a game and even get up into the 150 range. I understand you want to be cautious with all the money that goes to pitchers, but more and more teams will hopefully go to a more old school way of thinking when it comes to developing pitchers. With guys right out of high school, you could/should baby them some. However, once they turn 20 or 21, there is no reason why they can't average 120 a game and not only stay healthy but build up their arm.

I'm against that in some circumstances for purely baseball reasons: it depends on how stressful the game is, like how many times does a pitcher reach back for something extra in a tight situation as one example, plus it depends on playing conditions, score, and availability of the pen. You don't want to work your staff harder just because you can.

I'm wholly 100% completely against that in nearly ALL circumstances for non-baseball reasons: you don't want to get a bad rep for over-working pitchers which can affect your relationship with the players association, agents, and your ability to recruit free agent pitchers or trade candidates with full or partial NTC's.

The Dusty Baker/Nolan Ryan school of thought is not going to work in this era of baseball. Old school types may favor it, but it's not coming back, at least not for a long time.

BTW can you image how many pitches an African American starting pitcher on the Rangers would throw in 110 degree heat in a relatively meaningless game in August if Dusty Baker was his manager?

Edit: I have to say I agree with extending starters in extremely important games as long as the manager feels that is the best option for winning the game. Doing that in May or June in order to make a guy happy, or to prove a point, or to pad stats, or because you have no confidence in your bullpen is short-sighted and foolish. The idea that throwing more and putting even more stress on your elbow and shoulder is in some way safer is very confusing to me.

And keep in mind, many of the older-era guys who are proponents of extending starters further played under different conditions altogether, from mound height to heavier ball to less HR parks, etc. which all made it more of a pitcher's game. There have to be at least twice as many situations in today's game that are stressful on a pitcher than in the past. Also, bullpens are specialized and sticking with a starter instead of going with your set-up guy will get a manager fired. Plus, because of all the home run parks and all the home run hitters, if a starter loses his control in the 7th inning with men on base you can't just count on him to rediscover it, because the next 3 guys coming up are all threats to go yard.

Much of the time it actually seems that starters begin to get themselves in big trouble around the 85-100 pitch mark and the managers react more to the situation than the pitch count. There's no reason to put blind faith in your starter that is losing it when you have a guy in the pen making $3-4M+ per season who is fresh and has nasty stuff, especially if that guy presents a different look and a more favorable lefty/righty matchup. So the pitch count is often not the only reason, or even the main reason, why pitchers routinely get pulled around that magical 100 mark.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:40 AM)
I'd love to have Glavine come on in and replace Bartolo when he gets hurt. Plus I think Glavine could again be a valuable asset in the rotation. He won't come though and I'm sure he'll be back in New york.

No thanks

Supposedly he was only topping out at 83 on his rehab assignment and had a 5.54 ERA last year. IMO we would be better off calling Poreda up.

not sure if this has been brought up but has anyone seen what Ben Zobrist is doing lately? .303/.414/.659 1.073 10HR

drays bay had a nice write up about it here

apparently hes crediting Jaime Cevallos

thoughts?

I was thinking about him too after he hit a slam. I remember him getting hype in the minors leagues and then showing zero power in the big leagues.

Laynce Nix seems to be really coming into his own in Cincinnati, really hitting the ball well.

Also, big fan of Ian Stewart. Saw him for the first time in a while yesterday, and he's got a really nice approach at bat and has a nice swing with some serious pop. Just looked his mlb page and looked at his highlights, and man, he hits the ball hard. However, the question is when he hits it, and he's batting below .200 right now, and still K's a lot. I'd love to get him if the Rockies give up on him after this year and decide to trade him. However, I severly doubt they'll give up on him after a rough first quarter to his first year playing in the majoirty of the games in the bigs.

I also watched some clips of Jeff Clement the other day, and I really like his style as well. He's been raking in AAA. Looks like he'll be limited to DH, 1B, or even LF though.

Edited by BearSox

Yeah I couldnt believe the Rockies werent playing Stewart everyday and actually giving Clint Barmes more playing time. I havent been paying attention since they fired Clint Hurdle though, maybe the new manager has some sense in him. But Stewart would definitely be a guy I'd love to see starting for the whitesox at 3B next season if it was reasonable.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Laynce Nix seems to be really coming into his own in Cincinnati, really hitting the ball well.

Also, big fan of Ian Stewart Saw him for the first time in a while yesterday, and he's got a really nice approach at bat and has a nice swing with some serious pop. Just looked his mlb page and looked at his highlights, and man, he hits the ball hard. However, the question is when he hits it, and he's batting below .200 right now, and still K's a lot. I'd love to get him if the Rockies give up on him after this year and decide to trade him. However, I severly doubt they'll give up on him after a rough first quarter to his first year playing in the majoirty of the games in the bigs.

Sounds like a certain someone I already know of...

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 03:34 AM)
Yeah I couldnt believe the Rockies werent playing Stewart everyday and actually giving Clint Barmes more playing time. I havent been paying attention since they fired Clint Hurdle though, maybe the new manager has some sense in him. But Stewart would definitely be a guy I'd love to see starting for the whitesox at 3B next season if it was reasonable.

and his names rhymes with wields...

It makes sense for the Rockies to stick with Stewart. It does not make sense for the Sox to stick with...whats his name now?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)

It makes sense for the Rockies to stick with Stewart. It does not make sense for the Sox to stick with...whats his name now?

Well a lot of differences, for one, Stewart can hit a fastball. Besides that, Stewart hasn't been able to play everyday, has come in as a pinch hitter a lot of games, playing out of position already, has 8 HR's compared to Fields 2, is three years younger, and while both are not good a better BB/K ratio as well. I'm not sure what kind of defense Stewart brings to the table, but if he has the ability to play 2B, I'm assuming it is better than Fields as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)

Completely different and SoxFan101 said a lot of it already.

1.) Stewart is younger and was always considered a better prospect than Fields.

2.) Stewart actually has a good stance at bat with a very nice swing. Fields changes his swing, stance, and approach almost daily is seems like.

3.) Stewart provides a ton of power from the left side, and that's always a plus.

4.) I'm not sure how his D is, but with him being able to play 2B and LF fairly decent, I'd say he's on par with Fields.

5.) Stewart shown the ability to hit a major league fastball.

6.) While both have poor K rates and have pretty putrid averages (Stewart's is actually quite worse), Stewart has provided a lot more power.

7.) This is really Stewart's first go around in the major leagues with some consistent playing time.

I really don't see the similarities.

Edited by BearSox

Didn't KW want this guy at one point??

I can see why they dumped him though....

Orioles Release Jamie Walker

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 5 at 2:44pm CST]

2:44pm: Roch Kubatko of MASN.com reports that it's official; the O's announced they've released Walker.

Our View:This move has been rumored for days, and not surprising given the veteran's recent performance. Left-handed hitters were hitting a whopping .458 against him and he had given up five home runs in last nine appearances. Alberto Castillo is being called up from Triple-A Norfolk to take his roster spot.

Edited by EvilJester99

Yeah, IIRC, we almost signed him. Thank goodness in retrospect.

However, I wouldn't mind if we signed him to a minor league deal and hope he regained some of that form he had with Detroit. I mean, look at the two lefties we have in the pen, outside of Thornton. The only thing that bringing him in could hurt is Charlotte.

Edited by BearSox

K watch:

Chris Davis: 81 in 181 at-bats

Mark Reynolds: 77 in in 198 at-bats

The scary thing is Reynolds produces so he gets constitent playing time. He has about two full seasons worth of plate appearances under his belt and he has 410 career K's.

Mark Reynolds is a good hitter, he just K's a ton. Plus, he makes some of the most amazing plays you'll ever see at 3B. However, he seems to pile up the E's... but I'm sure some of those are a result of him getting to balls regular 3B wouldn't get to. But he's a solid player, he just really really needs to cut down on the K's.

How much longer until we see the Rangers bench/send down Davis and call up Smoak?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Mark Reynolds is a good hitter, he just K's a ton. Plus, he makes some of the most amazing plays you'll ever see at 3B. However, he seems to pile up the E's... but I'm sure some of those are a result of him getting to balls regular 3B wouldn't get to. But he's a solid player, he just really really needs to cut down on the K's.

How much longer until we see the Rangers bench/send down Davis and call up Smoak?

Isn't Smoak out with an injury?