2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

Was Todd Helton a steroid user?

If you look at the stats, his HR totals declined big time after 04 (when PED testing first got some-what serious). Plus, after 04, he started to suffer from various injuries... However, his HR numbers really began to drop after 2001 when they started using the humidor for the balls.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Was Todd Helton a steroid user?

If you look at the stats, his HR totals declined big time after 04 (when PED testing first got some-what serious). Plus, after 04, he started to suffer from various injuries... However, his HR numbers really began to drop after 2001 when they started using the humidor for the balls.

The only person I've heard more vehemently deny a steroid use accusation than Todd Helton was Rafael Palmeiro. I have no idea what that means.

Ian Stewart absolutely raking right now. Had 2 homers Saturday night (4 in his last 4 games), both were bombs, a double, 5 rbi's, and made a hell of a defensive play at 3B.

Colorado's never gonna trade him, but I'd love to have him as our 3B.

Ian Stewart absolutely raking right now. Had 2 homers Saturday night (4 in his last 4 games), both were bombs, a double, 5 rbi's, and made a hell of a defensive play at 3B.

Colorado's never gonna trade him, but I'd love to have him as our 3B.

Probably one of the most versitle young (or old really) players in the game. He's 6'3 mind you.. he can play 1B, 2B, 3B, LF or RF. 1B and 3B are probably his strongest positions range wise. Rockies can put him literally anywhere. He can play.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
Probably one of the most versitle young (or old really) players in the game. He's 6'3 mind you.. he can play 1B, 2B, 3B, LF or RF. 1B and 3B are probably his strongest positions range wise. Rockies can put him literally anywhere. He can play.

The guy just has a ridiculous amount of power. The ball flies off his bat. He's got his average up to .230 after being down below .200 just a week ago. Man, I love watching him hit. He hits the ball HARD!

Wonder if KW would take a look at Atkins?? He isn't hitting right now but Walker will fix em

Atkins Could Lose Playing Time, Trade Value?

By Nat Boyle [June 7 at 12:14pm CST]

What to do with Garrett Atkins? The cleanup hitter for the Rockies has not been cleaning up, hitting .190 with only 5 homeruns and a mere .579 OPS. He's seen his slugging percentage decline each year since 2006.

Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says the Rockies have five players for four infield spots and Atkins is likely to be the odd man out. If he can produce at the plate, the Rockies will play him with hopes that he'll regain significant trade value. If he can't, will the Rockies want to use him off the bench? Atkins does have minor league options remaining.

Atkins recently changed contact lenses and has seen recent improvement (albeit in a small sample size), hitting 2 of his 5 homeruns on June 4. Yesterday, Renck wrote, "Atkins has three hits in the past two games, emerging from his offensive coma. The Cardinals are seeking a third a baseman, but like all suitors, are waiting to see if Atkins consistently regains his swing." Atkins is making $7.05MM this season.

What would you do? Choose your own adventure: Send Atkins down to hope he regains his swing in Triple A? Shop him at his current value? Wait until the trade deadline to see if Atkins can demonstrate his power potential?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
From today's game:

Bot 1st: St. Louis

- A. Pujols hit sacrifice fly to deep left, S. Schumaker and C. Rasmus scored

Just how far did he hit it?

Looks like it was probably something similar to that play last year vs. KC where Alexei scored from 2nd on a sac fly... If you don't recall, the CF made a fine play and crashed into the wall or made a diving catch and was down, while the Missile flew around the bases.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Wonder if KW would take a look at Atkins?? He isn't hitting right now but Walker will fix em

Problem is...who do we bench to put Atkins in the lineup? Fields? Getz? Beckham? Ramirez? Hell, throw in Nix while we're at it. We already have 4 guys who should be solid contributors with the bats if we can develop them. Going after Atkins means you'd be giving up on at least 2 of them, and I'm not yet convinced Beckham's a bust.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
They just showed Andrew McCutchen's two triples on SC....that f*** is fast.

He might be the fastest player in the majors. 50+ steals should be a cinch for this guy. And here's his line since his promotion last week: .400/.423/1.023. That, my friends, is what you call making an immediate impact. Hopefully Sox fans will see this from a top prospect sometime before 2025.

Edited by Jordan4life

BMAC out 6 weeks + with a stress fracture in his throwing shoulder blade.

Not good.

Didn't he already have that injury once before (I remember it was a stress fracture of some sort) Man I knew that was a brilliant trade by KW, but I'm a huge BMac fan. I hate seeing a young guy who we developed, getting his career f***ed up by another team. From the proposed adding weight, ditching the slider, etc.. It's been a mental chaos for him from what the Ranger organization has done.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
Didn't he already have that injury once before (I remember it was a stress fracture of some sort) Man I knew that was a brilliant trade by KW, but I'm a huge BMac fan. I hate seeing a young guy who we developed, getting his career f***ed up by another team. From the proposed adding weight, ditching the slider, etc.. It's been a mental chaos for him from what the Ranger organization has done.

Yeah, I feel awful for the guy. He really is a great kid, he deserves better.

Wow, I guess I've reached 'that age'.

While browsing the "2010 and Beyond" potential Hall of Fame class, I notice how I can recall seeing every single one of those players play. Yea, i'm sure it's probably been that way for the past few years, but this is the first time I've noticed how well I know the entire list.

Craziness

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Wow, I guess I've reached 'that age'.

While browsing the "2010 and Beyond" potential Hall of Fame class, I notice how I can recall seeing every single one of those players play. Yea, i'm sure it's probably been that way for the past few years, but this is the first time I've noticed how well I know the entire list.

Craziness

Mike Jackson has to be a shoo-in next year right?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
I'm in the minority when talking to friends, but I would put Larkin in, first ballot I would understand getting stoned

I agree. I know they sort of played in different eras, but Larkin had a better career than Ozzie Smith.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
MacDougal continues to look good. Also, Masset's pitching in the same game. He looks absolutely awesome this season. 95 mph fastball with fantastic offspeed pitches.

MacDougal could be good to great for the next 10 years and I would still have ZERO regrets about letting him go. As for Masset, I'm not sure what has gotten into him. We always heard from people like Steve Stone how great his stuff was, but I never saw it personally when he pitched for us and the numbers never bore it out. Eventually, the law of averages will catch up with him and he will regress to the means in my opinion. Either that, or maybe he found a nice stash of something which is helping out his stuff a little bit.