2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
I really don't care what each players OPS+ is. The fact is that odds are greater that Hill will get a hit instead of Kinsler, and Hill has a slight advantage in most categories. That's all I need to know, and it's pretty clear to me.

Defensive aside, who should be starting the all-star game at 2B for the AL if it was between Hill or Kinsler? Liks I already said, it's clear to me that Hill has earned it over Kinsler this season.

So you care about their OPS, but not their OPS+?

That's a bit contradictory. OPS+ is obviously the much better stat because it takes the league and ballpark each player plays in and neutralizes any kind of an advantage.

And I do agree with you that Aaron Hill should start the ASG, but not entirely because of his offensive contribution.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
NOOOOOO! Now I have to start Carlos Lee on my fantasy team. :(

Does this mean that JD might get a chance to go to the ASG after all?

Lol. Nelson Cruz replaced him.

Link

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Lol. Nelson Cruz replaced him.

Link

Are you f***ing serious?

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Cruz is having a nice year, but he's one of the streakiest hitters around and yet, you have Dye and Adam Lind sitting at home with MUCH better numbers.

Is Joe Maddon stupid? First Granderson and now Cruz...wow. He loves OFs with .800 OPS when he could have guys with .900+ OPS out there.

Edited by chw42

Mets acquire Jeff Francoeur for Ryan Church.

Francoeur has an OPS of just .634. Church has an OPS of .707.

Pretty much trading bad for bad, but I don't see why the Mets would give up the better player in the deal when they actually need to get better, not worse.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Betancourt and Francouer were both traded today and are seen as "upgrades" to their respective teams. This is a sabermaticians nightmare.

You know it.

Ryan Church was actually a barely below average hitter this year.

Francoeur on the other hand...I'm speechless.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Francoeur on the other hand...I'm speechless.

I'm assuming they like his youth (still only 25) and think he has some upside, to go with that killer arm of his. Might not be bother that he can't take a walk, but hey.. it's the aggressiveness that counts right... :huh

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
I'm assuming they like his youth (still only 25) and think he has some upside, to go with that killer arm of his. Might not be bother that he can't take a walk, but hey.. it's the aggressiveness that counts right... :huh

Jeff Francouer is similar to Carl Everett in that, Everett doesn’t believe in dinosaur’s and Francouer doesn’t believe in OBP.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
Jeff Francouer is similar to Carl Everett in that, Everett doesn’t believe in dinosaur’s and Francouer doesn’t believe in OBP.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

Nice.

p350.bmp

He's called that for a reason. A true "free-loader".

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)

:lolhitting

He's not even hitting for power anymore. His SLG is about as good as Paul Konerko's OBP.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
:lolhitting

He's not even hitting for power anymore. His SLG is about as good as Paul Konerko's OBP.

You have to figure the Mets are hoping they can fix him. There's always been serious talent there, the Braves just haven't figured out how to get in his head.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I would have traded BA for Francouer and taken a flier. At least Jeff has put up some semblance over major league numbers in his career. That said Jeff is probably a lost cause.

Yeah, don't see why the Braves would do that one though.

This makes no sense for the Braves. Perhaps the Braves see Francouer as a lost cause, but why would you risk him tapping into his potential with one of your top divisional rivals? That makes no sense unless the Braves are planning on doing a complete rebuilding.

As for the Mets, they don't lose much on offense and maybe even gain, but they upgrade big time on D. Church was mediocre out there with a lot of boneheaded plays it seemed like to me, but Francouer is a legit GG caliber defender, IMO.

As for Church, he's a mediocre player. I'd trade his mediocrity for a player of Francouers age and potential anyday of the week. He's still only 25.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
A NO NO! Wow. That'll increase your trade value, huh?

I was just telling Heads that same thing on AIM. His value is crazy high right now. :lol: Outstanding performance though.

Edited by SoxAce