2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)
Andy Gonzalez was just DFA’D. It’s a sad, sad day. Oh, and Cliff Lee with a CG, 4 hitter in his first start as a Phillie.

Not a bad way to start off with your new team/fans, eh? Philadelphia is legit.

Edited by dasox24

Extremely Patient Kevin Youkilis Works Count To 6-5

BOSTON—Showing the discerning eye and patient bat that have become his hallmark, the Red Sox' Kevin Youkilis pushed a third-inning at bat to a six-and-five count before finally working a walk on Tuesday. "That 5-4 pitch was tough, but in that spot I'm looking for something to drive," said Youkilis, who was down 0-3 in the count before taking the next five pitches for balls. "My job there is to make the starter work, so I usually just take the first eight pitches or so to give myself an idea of what he's got to offer. Then I try to foul off another 10 or so to get his pitch count way up. A lot of people say the most important pitch is strike one, but I've always found it to be strike seven. Because at that point you're only three pitches away from strike 10." Despite the walk, Youkilis was cut down on the base paths trying to steal fourth base.

LINK

According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Mark Prior is expected to be released from his minor league contract.

It could happen as soon as today. In a post to Twitter, Brock notes that Prior hasn't thrown since April due to pain in his throwing shoulder. What else. He never contributed after signing with the Padres last season either. Believe it or not, Prior hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors since August 10, 2006. Time flies.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Coop can fix him.

Wouldn't that be a smack in Cubs fans' faces?

This is the 1st thing I thought too. Only it was Coop followed by Herm. If we could sign the guy to a minimum deal and have him throw on the side, alter his mechanics, and abandon some pitches to alleviate stress on his shoulder/elbow, we could potentially have a steal. Then again this is exactly what the Padres thought, when they picked him up. So… who knows?

Edited by Thunderbolt

Kind of interesting following this Boston-Baltimore game today. Earlier this year it was Baltimore who had that huge comeback against Boston right? Well Boston scored 6 through the first 3, and Baltimore then scores 6 total in the bottom of the 3rd. Then Boston followed with 7 in the top of the 4, then Baltimore started to pick away at that lead, now Boston added 2 more again and the final score is currently 15-10 Boston in the 8th

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
Wonder if it's the end of the line.

I think it is. He is never going to be able to do again what made him so amazing. That hook and heater are never going to be the same again

Neftali Feliz made his ML debut last night. 2 IP, 0's across the board with 4 K's. I've tracked him for a while now. Saw him actually pitch for the first time in the Futures game. What he did to the A's last night was pretty criminal. His stuff is as good as advertised. Fastball routinely hit 99-101 MPH. A sick power change at 90-91 MPH. I know he has a solid curve as well. I guess they're gonna start him out in the 'pen with the idea of making him a starter next year. For all the talk of how awful the Bedard trade was, you don't hear as much about how the Rangers completely swindled the Braves in dealing Teixeira for Feliz, Andrus, ect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
Neftali Feliz made his ML debut last night. 2 IP, 0's across the board with 4 K's. I've tracked him for a while now. Saw him actually pitch for the first time in the Futures game. What he did to the A's last night was pretty criminal. His stuff is as good as advertised. Fastball routinely hit 99-101 MPH. A sick power change at 90-91 MPH. I know he has a solid curve as well. I guess they're gonna start him out in the 'pen with the idea of making him a starter next year. For all the talk of how awful the Bedard trade was, you don't hear as much about how the Rangers completely swindled the Braves in dealing Teixeira for Feliz, Andrus, ect.

Prob has something to do with he was pretty sick for the braves for the 50 or so games they had him that season and they were able to trade him next season to the Angels. Although I do agree the Rangers got a pretty sick haul for Teix. I am surprised how weak of a package the Braves got for Teix when they traded him.