2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Stras signed for less than expected, I'm surprised Rizzo was fired for that. Quite frankly, it was more than just the GM and if he was fired for that than you got to look at ownership who had no problem approving the signing.

I think he's just a fall guy.

Heard an interesting stat on the radio this morning... In the last 10 years, the team with the largest division lead at the end of the regular season is only 5-5 in their opening round playoff series's. Going to the next step, they have only even made it to the World Series once during those 10 years, and they have not won a single WS title.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 07:08 AM)
Heard an interesting stat on the radio this morning... In the last 10 years, the team with the largest division lead at the end of the regular season is only 5-5 in their opening round playoff series's. Going to the next step, they have only even made it to the World Series once during those 10 years, and they have not won a single WS title.

Right now the Yankees are 7.5 up and the Cardinals are 7 up. Probably soon to be more for both teams.

The Phillies just beat the Mets and I'm looking at the box score. The Mets used 7 different pitchers. Tim Redding pitched 5 scoreless innings and was taken out. Pat Misch came in the 6th and gave up 2 runs and ended up taking the loss. What I don't understand is mlb.com also counts as a Blown Save along with a Loss. I don't get how it could be a blown save when you can only pitch a maximum of 3 innings to earn a save. Seems to me that the 6th inning is too early to register a blown save.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
The Phillies just beat the Mets and I'm looking at the box score. The Mets used 7 different pitchers. Tim Redding pitched 5 scoreless innings and was taken out. Pat Misch came in the 6th and gave up 2 runs and ended up taking the loss. What I don't understand is mlb.com also counts as a Blown Save along with a Loss. I don't get how it could be a blown save when you can only pitch a maximum of 3 innings to earn a save. Seems to me that the 6th inning is too early to register a blown save.

any time a reliever comes in after a starter has pitched enough innings to qualify for the win and the lead is blown, it is a blown save

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)

I don't think that maximum of 3 innings pitched is correct.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
watching MLBN and they are reporting that Mets players are saying Johan Santana is going to require surgery on his left elbow, but no word on the severity of the surgery

that should be about expected out of every starting pitcher. It's rare when a power pitcher doesn't have surgery anymore.

Do the Rockies have the mojo going right now or what? Down 4-1 in the bottom of the 14th and they come up with 5 runs, highlighted by a walk-off grand slam by Ryan Spilborghs, to beat the Giants 6-4. Colorado is 53-26 since Jim Tracy took over for Clint Hurdle. They're only 3 games behind the Dodgers. Amazing run they're on right now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 06:25 AM)
Do the Rockies have the mojo going right now or what? Down 4-1 in the bottom of the 14th and they come up with 5 runs, highlighted by a walk-off grand slam by Ryan Spilborghs, to beat the Giants 6-4. Colorado is 53-26 since Jim Tracy took over for Clint Hurdle. They're only 3 games behind the Dodgers. Amazing run they're on right now.

Watching the highlights, Spilboroughs sprints around the bases as fast as he can like he's a little leaguer, pretty awesome to watch how pumped he is

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 06:25 AM)

They are really fun to watch. My second favorite team in the MLB now (and I'm not just saying that cause I'm the GM of their team in a fantasy baseball league) I mean I love watching the young guys play. Dexter Fowler.. :wub:

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Wainwright is awesome. He just doesn't make mistakes. Like at all. He doesn't hang his curve and his fastball moves.

he and Carpenter in a 5 game series is going to be ridiculously tough and if one of Loshe/Piniero/Smoltz can step up they're insanely tough in a 7 game.

Although, we shouldn't be discussing Cardinals in the playoffs, because from what I've heard and read the Cubs have a bunch of home games against .500 teams, so they'll make the playoffs pretty easily.