2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching the Rockies game because Jose is pitching and I'm getting a glimpse of some really good young hitters.

Carlos Gonzalez is turning into what the Diamondbacks envisioned him as. He's hitting .300 with a 127 OPS+. Seth Smith is also hitting above .300 with a 137 OPS+. Add Tulo, Helton, and Hawpe and you have yourself a pretty damn good offense.

BTW, Allen homered off of Jose. Let the madness begin.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)
I'm watching the Rockies game because Jose is pitching and I'm getting a glimpse of some really good young hitters.

Carlos Gonzalez is turning into what the Diamondbacks envisioned him as. He's hitting .300 with a 127 OPS+. Seth Smith is also hitting above .300 with a 137 OPS+. Add Tulo, Helton, and Hawpe and you have yourself a pretty damn good offense.

BTW, Allen homered off of Jose. Let the madness begin.

Jose has given up 1 run through 6.2 innings.

We ask again...really, how bad is the NL? Could the Royals win a division out there?

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
Thome with a pinch-hit single in his Dodger debut last night. :headbang I miss that guy.

I saw that highlight. Seeing the entire crowd give him a standing ovation was awesome, gotta be the best guy in baseball. Hope they make the world series so he can be DH and hit a WS winning homer over the BoSox or Yankees

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
It seems wild that suddenly Jim Thome is a pinch hitter.

They can't play him anywhere in the field can they? One bat a game for Thome max? Weird.

Joe Torre liked to use Darryl Strawberry in exactly that role when he was with the Yankees, although he had the DH instead of the pitcher's spot. If the Dodgers do make the Series though, they're better set up than any other NL team for the DH.

Chris Young hit three solo homers and walked twice Sunday against the Rockies.

This is why we're simply never giving up on the kid. Of course, the three homers are impressive enough, but it's also telling that he had a chance to go for the fourth in the ninth inning and ended up taking a walk. Young entered with a .191 average for the season, but the power hasn't gone anywhere and he has worked 49 walks in 343 at-bats. The Diamondbacks need to keep playing him regularly and see what happens. Sep. 6 - 7:03 pm et

There's a Phil Rogers column dying to be written here.

Anyone see Prince Fielder's walk-off shot and his teammates ritual for it? If not it's a must see. Quite a good/tight clubhouse they got over there.

Prince's Walkoff. Also they turned an around the horn triple play. The batter was who you ask for the other team? Aaron Rowand.

Oh, and congrats to Ichiro too on his 2,000th hit in just his 9th season. He will break the record for 200 hits in consecutive seasons as well. What a career.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
They were pretty much done for anyway, but this puts the nails in the coffin.

That's going to be an interesting team to watch this offseason. With Crawford being 1 year away from FA and them looking at cost-cutting again (Kazmir), and on the other hand their minors still having a good amount of talent, there are a lot of options for the Rays. I'll bet they're going to gamble on taking the best offer for Crawford and calling up current 22 year old OF Desmond Jennings, who's tearing up AA and now AAA for them this year. Another youngster for their rotation, Wade Davis, just had a solid MLB debut. If they're smart about what they do with Crawford, they can be right in it again next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
Who would you rather face in a 7 game series, the team with Cain/Lincecum or the team with Carpenter/Wainright (Neglect the lineups for a moment).

Cain and Lincecum.

If anyone votes against Pujols for MVP, i wanna hear why.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Cain and Lincecum.

If anyone votes against Pujols for MVP, i wanna hear why.

Random math interlude:

ERA of Wainright + ERA of Carpenter = 4.75

ERA of Lincecum + ERA of Cain = 4.85.

Of course, this year St. Louis is playing like a more difficult park for people, but it's always hard to evaluate those and S.F. isn't exactly known as a hitter's park.

And I'll vote against Pujols. That ball he hit off of Lidge in 2005 landed last week and killed my dog.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Oh, and congrats to Ichiro too on his 2,000th hit in just his 9th season. He will break the record for 200 hits in consecutive seasons as well. What a career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
It ought to be interesting to see if Ichiro can make it to 3000 hits in the MLB alone.

Ichiro's 2000th hit.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
Cain & Lincecum...but not by much.

Don't forget that both Carpenter and Wainwright have rings. With Carpenter being at the top of that '06 Cardinals staff and Wainwright shutting down opponents in the closer's role. Neither Cain nor Lincecum has ever even made a postseason appearance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Random math interlude:

ERA of Wainright + ERA of Carpenter = 4.75

ERA of Lincecum + ERA of Cain = 4.85.

Of course, this year St. Louis is playing like a more difficult park for people, but it's always hard to evaluate those and S.F. isn't exactly known as a hitter's park.

And I'll vote against Pujols. That ball he hit off of Lidge in 2005 landed last week and killed my dog.

Combined ERA+ for Lincecum and Cain = 355

Combined ERA+ for Carpenter and Wainwright: 354

Yeah, that's a dead heat.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Combined ERA+ for Lincecum and Cain = 355

Combined ERA+ for Carpenter and Wainwright: 354

Yeah, that's a dead heat.

Thanks for the stat backup there. It's somewhat surprising how overshadowed Carpenter and Wainright have been this season by the SF duo and by the offense they have backing them up, but those 2 have just been ridiculous as well.