2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Don't forget that both Carpenter and Wainwright have rings. With Carpenter being at the top of that '06 Cardinals staff and Wainwright shutting down opponents in the closer's role. Neither Cain nor Lincecum has ever even made a postseason appearance.

I know, I meant that I'd rather face Cain & Lincecum...but it's not exactly the easiest decision.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
I'd go with Lincecain. Carpwright has a lot more assurance that even if they struggle their offense will back them up. Lincecain has no such back-up plan, and are always pitching what they see as tights games.

So what does it say that Carpwright are pitching in scenarios where they have a huge lead and yet don't give up runs anyway? Like when you're up 8-1, you could give up 2 runs in exchange for outs and no one would hold it against you, yet they don't anwyay.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
The Angels got absolutely screwed tonight by the umps. Nick Green got 5 strikes.

Angel Hernandez was in two places at once? Griffey get 5 in the Sox game although only one was actually called a strike.

Umpiring in baseball is atrocious.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
Angel Hernandez was in two places at once? Griffey get 5 in the Sox game although only one was actually called a strike.

Umpiring in baseball is atrocious.

I don't mind the Griffey thing at all because it didn't make a huge difference in the game. I didn't even see it happen, but there is also a level of respect given for guys who earn it. A player of Griffey's caliber getting calls in his favor is part of the game and will always happen.

This was Nick Green. Of the .667 OPS. Of the bounced around the league consistently for the better part of a decade. Even HE knew he went around on his 0-2 check-swing, and it wasn't called. And then Fuentes made a perfect pitch to ring him up, only to see it be called a ball to bring the game tying run home. It was brutal, and was a home-town and homer call.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
How's big Jim Thome been doing in LA?

Anybody have his exact stats?

How can he be happy pinch hitting?

1-6, 3 K, 0 BB got a single in his first at bat, nothing since

He can be happy pinch hitting, cause every night he has a nightmare of Joe Table costing him a ring in 1997, and the only way to stop it is to win one now and the Dodgers are a tad bit closer to doing that than the Sox are

Police: Giants' prospect a suspect in killing (AP) – 4 hours ago

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — A Dominican baseball prospect for the San Francisco Giants is the main suspect in the killing of a 25-year-old man, police said Sunday.

Angel Villalona turned himself in 12 hours after the man was shot at a bar in the southern coastal city of La Romana, Coronel Adrian Urbaez told The Associated Press.

Villalona was signed by the San Francisco Giants in 2006 and received a club-record $2.1 million signing bonus. He played in 74 games with a Giants minor-league team this season, posting a .267 batting average with nine home runs and 42 RBIs.

The 19-year-old was considered the Giants' most prized prospect when he signed and was chosen the top prospect in the Arizona Rookie League two years ago.

Frank Micheli, president of the Azucareros del Este — Villalona's winter baseball team — said he was aware someone was killed but that he had no further details.

Villalona will appear in court Monday and could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty in the Saturday night killing of Mario Felix de Jesus Velete, police said.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Wow, Villanova is pretty much their Viciedo. He's a really big deal in their system. Something of a bust, but with great potential.

Holy s***. I was skimming through MLB.COM and saw something that said a Giants prospect was a suspected of murder. I assumed it was a no-name nobody (not that it would be any less serious). But like Thunderbolt said, this dude is considered an elite prospect by many.

Edited by Jordan4life

The Cardinals are f***ing good. Talk about making IMPACT trades. This is what the trade deadline is all about. How often do we see big trades made that make minimal, and in some cases, no difference at all? The Cards made three outstanding ones. Derosa/Holliday/Lugo have elevated them from slightly above average (by NL standards) to WS favorite, IMO. They've got the top 1-2 punch in baseball (at least the best in the NL) heading their rotation. A murderers' row type lineup. An underrated bullpen. They play good defense. They're the total package.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 01:20 AM)
I agree the Cardinals are a great team, hell they have the TWO best 1-2 punches in the game which is just frightening but that Derosa trade isn't a clear cut winner, he's been just awful in a Cardinals uniform.

You know what, you're right about Derosa. I thought he had been producing more. He did go off last night (2 HR, 4 RBI).

SAN FRANCISCO—In a statement issued after Wednesday night's Rockies-Giants contest, home plate umpire Laz Diaz warned all catchers around the league that he is "onto their little game," and is easily able to tell when they slyly move their glove into the strike zone after catching a pitch off the plate. "You catchers seem to think that I was born yesterday," the statement, which called the catchers' tactics "dishonest, immature, and tantamount to cheating," read in part. "Some of you even believe you can fool me by holding your glove there for an extra long time, as if to say, 'See, I'm holding it here like this because it was a strike.' Well, this umpire is not falling for that. Not today, not ever." Diaz further stated that a batter who removes his elbow protector, drops his bat, and begins heading to first base will never coax him into calling ball four.

LINK