2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
Some of these players don't realize how smart it is to take an offer like that.

He'd have 120 million dollars which is plenty. My god.

And once he retires, he's guaranteed to actually have something to do the rest of his life, like be a broadcaster, a special liason to the team, or whatever. The team will employ him forever like the Royals do in giving George Brett money for no reason.

He signs that contract in Minny and he's set for life money wise and enjoyment of life wise. Hopping from team to team is overrated when you get an offer like he just got.

Why leave Minnesota?? It'd very stupid of him. 120 mill is enough.

If Mauer didnt take the offer, he wouldnt go team hopping afterwards, he would probably find an equal if not better offer and go play somewhere else for a long time(health provided)

The reason he would leave Minnesota would be to win a World Series. If he doesnt feel that Minnesota is going to give it a true shot during his time there, it would be smart of him to explore other opportunities. My god

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 01:21 AM)
Holy s***@that vid. I'm not one that gets overly emotional but damn. And I agree about the Angels being good enough to win it all. This is the best offense they've had since they won it all in '02. Their pitching isn't as good as it's been in past years. But Lackey/Weaver/Kazmir (I'm assuming those would be their top 3) is pretty formidable. Then you got Saunders and Santana, who's rounding into form, and you have a pretty deep staff. Bullpen is solid led by Fuentes. They've got a real shot. Hopefully they don't play the Red Sox in round 1 again. They're to the Angels what the Bulls used to be to the Knicks all those years we were winning titles.

Yeah, they're getting the Red Sox in round 1. Yankees have best record, Tigers/Twins will have worst record, Wild Card is Red Sox.

If he doesnt feel that Minnesota is going to give it a true shot during his time there, it would be smart of him to explore other opportunities. My god

What's with the my god?

I stand my my comment he'd be a moron to go elsewhere like New York.

You think NY gives a rats ass about him after he retires? This guy will make a zillion dollars in Minnesota and can do whatever he wants in Minny after he retires.

I'm talking about quality of life. Not just sitting around after you retire but making money doing nothing as a legend in Minny.

Len Dawson has been a hero on KC TV for decades after playing for the Chiefs. George Brett is a god here and still is making money working for the Royals.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
What's with the my god?

You think NY gives a rats ass about him after he retires? This guy will make a zillion dollars in Minnesota and can do whatever he wants in Minny after he retires.

I'm talking about quality of life. Not just sitting around after you retire but making money doing nothing as a legend in Minny.

Len Dawson has been a hero on KC TV for decades after playing for the Chiefs. George Brett is a god here and still is making money working for the Royals.

Yes because it's so hard for former great athletes to find jobs in media when their days of playing ball are over. Joe Mauer could have a stroke that robs him of his ability to form a coherent thought and ESPN would still hand him a bag full of money to mumble over highlights on the nightly Baseball Tonight.

Also: you help win a ring with the Yankees and your ass is set for life. What do you think Tino Martinez (spent 7 years with the Yankees starting at age 28) has been up to over the past 4 years? He had a gig lined up with ESPN before he even retired and when they found out he was an incompetent broadcaster he got a sweet gig with the Yankees working as an instructor, this job soon turned into a widely coveted "Special Assistant to the General Manager" job.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
What's with the my god?

I was going to ask you the same thing about your previous post.

And Kalapse pretty well explained why he would not be a moron to go to New York. I am pretty sure there is more money to be made in New York doing........well, anything as opposed to Minneapolis. And Mauer will be a legend ANYWHERE he goes, and I am sure wherever he ends up will ask him to do whatever he can for the organization whenever he is done playing.

But whatever, if Mauer wants to stay in Minnesota for his entire career, that is his prerogative. He will be a rich man whatever he wants to do. My thought is that Mauer is going to take into account his chances at sustained winning and money, not "I want to stay home when I retire and make money being a legend".

How bout the rare big leaguers that actually enjoy a city and realize 120 mill is enough?

Didn't Buehrle and Paulie give the Sox hometown discounts?

Playing in the NY fishbowl over a team that is always in the hunt in cozy Minnesota would be a stupid choice,

but if he wants to make it, go for it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
How bout the rare big leaguers that actually enjoy a city and realize 120 mill is enough?

Didn't Buehrle and Paulie give the Sox hometown discounts?

Playing in the NY fishbowl over a team that is always in the hunt in cozy Minnesota would be a stupid choice,

but if he wants to make it, go for it.

So you think Minnesota is more often "in the hunt" than the Yankees?

I'm saying he still gets the chance to go for titles in Minnesota. The Twins have had good luck contending in the Central through the years. It's not like the Twins are the Royals.

He's probably like the majority of the players and wants to go to the Big Apple.

But some have given their teams hometown discounts realizing the grass isn't always greener.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
if minny holds this lead today (4-1 in the 7th) there's a real chance the sox can play spoiler this weekend. I don't see the twinkies choking against the royals. but to play spoiler so the twins can make the playoffs is a real catch-22 for me.

The Royals have this one guy that's kind of good pitching in that series. His name is Zack Greinke. Not sure if you've heard of him or not.

The Twins have the advantage in all, but one game. (Greinke.) Meanwhile, the Tigers have to face:

Peavy- Jackson. Great Game. Advantage: Sox

Garcia-Figaro Advantage: Sox

Danks-Verlander Advantage: Tigers (But close.)

Assuming Ozzie puts the troops in order, we’re in perfect position to play the spoiler.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
If Verlander has to pitch Sunday, any chance the Tigers had in the first playoff series is gone unless they bring him back early.

That’s why they absolutely need to win the Peavy –Jackson game. If they don’t they could be in the same position the Sox were last year. With having to start a less than ideal candidate in game one of the playoffs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
The Twins have the advantage in all, but one game. (Greinke.) Meanwhile, the Tigers have to face:

Peavy- Jackson. Great Game. Advantage: Sox

Garcia-Figaro Advantage: Sox

Danks-Verlander Advantage: Tigers (But close.)

Assuming Ozzie puts the troops in order, we’re in perfect position to play the spoiler.

But if Greinke does win a game, the Tigers only need to win one game, which I'm sure they will do, especially since its in Detroit, where they play much better. Not to mention, KC has looked like more of a MLB team than the Sox have in September. Ozzie has been trying to put the troops in order all season, and he still hasnt been able to figure out the right combo. I'd say the Tigers chances look pretty good to me

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
If Verlander has to pitch Sunday, any chance the Tigers had in the first playoff series is gone unless they bring him back early.

Going into Yankee Stadium with EJax & Porcello as your game 1 & 2 starters...good luck and god bless

No doubt, the Tigers still stand the best chance to take this division. I just hope we fight them tooth and nail, for it. If they don't win the 1st game of the series, the pressure is going to be insane for them. Especially, given the fact that they desperatley want to rest Verlander for Game 1 of the playoffs.

Edited by Thunderbolt