2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Chris Carpenter today vs the Reds:

Pitching: 5 IP, 3 H, 6K, 1 BB 0 ER

Batting: 2-3, 1 r, 1 2b, GRANDSLAM, 6 RBI

Daaaaaaamn

edit: he's now 17-4 and lowered his ERA to 2.24 Hell of a year

1.01 WHIP and only 7 HR allowed on the season. Unfortunately for him he spent a month on the DL earlier in the year which will keep him from reaching 200 IP and probably cost him the NL Cy Young.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
I'll be rooting for the Sox to lose this weekend. I can't stand the Yankees, and I think the Tigers have at least some shot of beating them, especially if Verlander and Jackson can start games 1-2.

I'd be right there with you if it weren't Peavy starting tomorrow, there's just no way I can cheer against him.

If Detroit does make it, I sure hope Verlander gets to start Game One and not the game on Sunday.

That would really really make the playoff series interesting.

You win Game One behind Verlander and steal Game Two a few hours later (assuming it's night game, then day game in games one and two) and before you know it ... upset city!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Dodgers go down early, 2-0 to teh Rockies. I seriously wonder if they might not just be in a terrible place mentally right now, where they might just break.

Thome is the physical manifestation of the little Taboo that the Bradys found in Hawaii.

He's neat to look at and seems nice, but he'll make you fall off your surfboard and disappear.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
Sabathia in October, sun rises

Unfortunately only 5 of the 9 runs were earned. 9 ER in 2.2 IP would have ballooned his ERA to 3.52, rather than the more palatable 3.37 that he currently holds. A 3.50+ ERA from Sabathia would have sealed the CY award for Greinke 100%, this definitely helps but I still have that tiny shred of doubt in the back of my mind. I'm thinking Zack should just go out there tomorrow, throw 7 innings of shutout ball, get his ERA below 2 and sit back and wait to collect his prize. Of course given the way this game works Zack will either give up 7 ER in the first 3 innings or he'll be pulled with 6.2 innings complete and no runs on the board putting his ERA at 1.995 for the season and I'll s*** a brick.

And the Rockies pull to within 1 single game of the Dodgers. I believe they're 74-40 now under Jim Tracy. Ubaldo Jiminez is somethin' else. Man, say what you want about the NL. It is a joke for the most part. But one thing the league is definitely not lacking is young, disgustingly good starting pitchers. Lincecum is still king. But Jiminez, Josh Johnson, Dan Haren, Clayton Kershaw, Adam Wainwright, Matt Cain and such make me really horny.

Kevin Towers fired as Padres GM. Considering he has 4 division titles in 14 years, a WS appearance and was given nothing to work with this season and a lot of baseball people wondered if the Padres would win 50 games, it appears to be a raw deal, but I'm sure its just a case of the new owner wanting to get his guy in there. Thanks for the Jake Peavy parting gift Kevin.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
Unfortunately only 5 of the 9 runs were earned. 9 ER in 2.2 IP would have ballooned his ERA to 3.52, rather than the more palatable 3.37 that he currently holds. A 3.50+ ERA from Sabathia would have sealed the CY award for Greinke 100%, this definitely helps but I still have that tiny shred of doubt in the back of my mind. I'm thinking Zack should just go out there tomorrow, throw 7 innings of shutout ball, get his ERA below 2 and sit back and wait to collect his prize. Of course given the way this game works Zack will either give up 7 ER in the first 3 innings or he'll be pulled with 6.2 innings complete and no runs on the board putting his ERA at 1.995 for the season and I'll s*** a brick.

Sabathia doesn't even deserve to be in the team picture. Its all about Hernandez and Grienke.

I'm guessing it is probably Wells. The clubhouse was the reason why the last manager went. JP tried his darnest, and I think Cito was a great manager to hire. They need to clean house there, but I think Cito should get another shot. I mean, how many managers does it take for you to realize that it's the players, and not the manager?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
I'm guessing it is probably Wells. The clubhouse was the reason why the last manager went. JP tried his darnest, and I think Cito was a great manager to hire. They need to clean house there, but I think Cito should get another shot. I mean, how many managers does it take for you to realize that it's the players, and not the manager?

If they could move Wells by any means they've have done so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Kevin Towers fired as Padres GM. Considering he has 4 division titles in 14 years, a WS appearance and was given nothing to work with this season and a lot of baseball people wondered if the Padres would win 50 games, it appears to be a raw deal, but I'm sure its just a case of the new owner wanting to get his guy in there. Thanks for the Jake Peavy parting gift Kevin.

I wonder what will happen to the Padres Front Office Brain Trust. Mainly, Paul Depodesta.