2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
Matt Holliday is not doing so hot.

Shocking. I posted his numbers outside of Coors/Petco/San Fran last year and his OPS was somewhere in the low to mid .700's.

With that said; Matt Holliday is a much better hitter than his .233/.281/.367/.648 line would suggest. He's not going to finish the year anywhere near a 1.000 or even .950 OPS but he should be able to muster an .800 even while playing in the Coliseum, hell he isn't even a HR hitter anyway so he should be able to manage high doubles numbers in his new cavernous home ballpark. I'm curious as to how many of his HR will be hit in Arlington this year, half thus far.

Gio Gonzalez's stint in the majors this season lasted all of 2 days. 5 H, 4 BB, 1 K and 3 ER in 5 innings of work in the 15 inning marathon in Seattle earned him a ticket back to AAA.

His career MLB ERA now stands at 7.38 in 39 IP. He's still only 23 years old and it'll probably click for him someday but it's been a rough start to his big league career.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Gio Gonzalez's stint in the majors this season lasted all of 2 days. 5 H, 4 BB, 1 K and 3 ER in 5 innings of work in the 15 inning marathon in Seattle earned him a ticket back to AAA.

His career MLB ERA now stands at 7.38 in 39 IP. He's still only 23 years old and it'll probably click for him someday but it's been a rough start to his big league career.

You know who can fix him?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 4, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
That was one of the scariest collisions i've seen.

Yea, that was scary. Luckily, Rotoworld is reporting he's doing ok:

"X-rays and a CT scan on Rick Ankiel's head revealed no fractures as a result of Monday's collision with the wall in center field.

"He was never knocked out," GM John Mozeliak said. "He never lost consciousness. My understanding was that he had some discomfort in the face area, obviously, from hitting the wall. But for the most part right now, we're encouraged based on Dr. Paletta's first [evaluation], just getting to see him on the field." No word yet on whether Ankiel will land on the DL. Colby Rasmus figures to start in center field for at least the next few days. May. 5 - 1:59 am et"

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 5, 2009 -> 06:02 AM)
Yea, that was scary. Luckily, Rotoworld is reporting he's doing ok:

"X-rays and a CT scan on Rick Ankiel's head revealed no fractures as a result of Monday's collision with the wall in center field.

"He was never knocked out," GM John Mozeliak said. "He never lost consciousness. My understanding was that he had some discomfort in the face area, obviously, from hitting the wall. But for the most part right now, we're encouraged based on Dr. Paletta's first [evaluation], just getting to see him on the field." No word yet on whether Ankiel will land on the DL. Colby Rasmus figures to start in center field for at least the next few days. May. 5 - 1:59 am et"

That's great news. I saw that collision and it was horrible.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
This Dodgers team is fantastic.

Further proof that it's more than possible to consistently field a contending ML team while maintaining a productive farm system. Obviously a million things can happen between now and the end of the season. But as of right now, I think the Dodgers are the clear front-runners in the NL.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2009 -> 04:04 AM)
Further proof that it's more than possible to consistently field a contending ML team while maintaining a productive farm system. Obviously a million things can happen between now and the end of the season. But as of right now, I think the Dodgers are the clear front-runners in the NL.

The Hudson signing was fantastic for them, as he's provided such a cool demeanor to offset any of Manny's craziness. If it happens, I can't wait to root for them again when they face the Cubs in the playoffs.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
The Hudson signing was fantastic for them, as he's provided such a cool demeanor to offset any of Manny's craziness. If it happens, I can't wait to root for them again when they face the Cubs in the playoffs.

No doubt about it. The two best FA signings to this point have easily been Orlando Hudson and Raul Ibanez.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2009 -> 04:14 AM)
No doubt about it. The two best FA signings to this point have easily been Orlando Hudson and Raul Ibanez.

Who would have guessed that a quality hitter in the AL would excel in the NL?? Thankfully, the Cubs didn't sign Ibanez and went after the nutcase/injury plagued Bradley.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)

The Ibanez signing could be ugly by the end of it, but he's been absolutely fantastic so far.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
Who would have guessed that a quality hitter in the AL would excel in the NL?? Thankfully, the Cubs didn't sign Ibanez and went after the nutcase/injury plagued Bradley.

Or just deal with his iffy defense and sign Dunn. Actually Abeu, Dunn and Ibanez all would have made a ton more sense for the Cubs. The fans and media who protect Hendry are saying he struck early and couldn't have predicted the way contracts would have went, which I say BS to, part of being a good GM is projecting the market, which he failed horribly at.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)

I've seen a lot of Dodger games this year and Hudson is playing freaking phenomenal. Why the hell the Sox didn't sign him and figure out a way to go Getz/Ramirez/Hudson in some order in CF/SS/2B is beyond me. Absolutely foolish, foolish.