2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:27 AM)
He's the single reason why I think the Giants would have a real shot to get to the World Series if they make it to October. He's that f***ing good.

If he plays a Josh Beckett role, I agree, with Cain, Sanchez, and Zito playing the counterparts.

Completely under the radar, but Zito has turned that complete albatross of a contract to merely an albatross. I wouldn't want to pay a 5th starter $17 mill a year, but he's had 10 quality starts, and he's thrown a winnable start (for me, that's 5 IP, 3 ER; 6 IP 4 ER; 8 IP, 5 ER) 14 times out of 20. For a mediocre pitcher that - thanks to a terrible GM and a fantastic agent - scored a great deal, he has shown his pride and has become a decent starting pitcher, even if he's not good. With Alderson and Bumgarner on the way, they can probably actually afford that contract for the short-term.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks they should just give the CY to Tim Lincecum right now? What he did to the Pirates last night was just wrong. Only guy with a legitimate case for the award to this point is Dan Haren. But they typically don't give the award to a guy from a lousy team.

Tiny Tim could realistically have 200 K’s in two weeks. That’s sensational.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
Not a bad comparison, Bear Sox. Nice.

Reynolds could be really good if he cuts down on the K's and sharpens up his D.

He's got some serious power though. Most of his home runs are absolute bombs.

i hate when players finally decide to show up once its going to be their FA year. washburn , after his latest start, now has a 2.64 era.

2006: 8-14 , 4.67

2007: 10-15 , 4.32

2008: 5-14, 4.69

all in the first 3 years of his deal. his 2 FA years? 3.20 era and 2.64 era as of now. then he'll suck again when boras gets him all that money

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
In the famous words of Kalapse.

"Sure he may look like an innocent child whom you may see frolicking in a meadow some sunny spring afternoon but under that sweet exterior lies a lethal killing machine."

azer1010223161024x76871.jpg

He's got some small hands...

Watched more of Cards/Dodgers than Sox game tonight. First time I sat and watched Kershaw since he faced us last year. Holy cow, his off speed pitches are nasty.

Why would the Dodgers ever consider trading that guy?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Watched more of Cards/Dodgers than Sox game tonight. First time I sat and watched Kershaw since he faced us last year. Holy cow, his off speed pitches are nasty.

Kershaw's Curveball makes actual angels cry. True story.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)

His fastball is sick enough. And that's not even his best pitch. Like I said yesterday, there's two pitchers in all of baseball I would trade Clayton Kershaw straight up for. That's Tim Lincecum and Felix Hernandez. That's it.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
I happened to notice Padres pitching prospect Matt Latos has made it to the majors.

Prior to the 2007 I loved the guy and was hoping he wouldn't accept the Padres offer as a Draft and Follow candidate from 2006. Even though he probably wouldn't have made it to our position in the draft, it's interesting to see a guy I had a man crush on succeed so rapidly. With seemingly little minor league experience.

He threw a gem tonight, 7 innings of 1 hit baseball and only threw like 86 pitches. He's a really good one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:27 AM)
He's the single reason why I think the Giants would have a real shot to get to the World Series if they make it to October. He's that f***ing good.

Him and Cain could the type of duo that carries them through the playoffs. Can't believe they gave up Alderson though.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Garza admits to hitting Teixeira on purpose

So apparently Garza admits he hit him b/c he was frustrated with teams throwing at Longoria. I have no problem with pitchers doing this, but he shouldn't have said anything. He'll probably get suspended now.

Well, Jenks only got fined didn't he?