2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
MLB Standings

How can Detroit and the Dodgers both have a one game lead and the second place teams have different elimination numbers?

In the NL West, both the Dodgers and Rockies are already in the playoffs. Thus, if they wind up exactly tied, there's no need for a play-in game since they're both in, and they go to tiebreakers, and you can already tell who has those (LAD). In the AL Central, there will be only 1 playoff spot, so if the Kittens and Twinkies wind up tied, they go to a play-in game to determine the winner. Thus, the Dodgers should have a lower magic number than the Kitties since they just need to wind up tied while the Kitties need to out and out wind up 1 game up.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:07 AM)
FSN LA should be embarrassed. I just saw Contreras "throw" 98 on the gun.....

The crazy thing is that everyone else was pretty accurate. Kershaw was being clocked around 91 mph when I was watching, and Broxton was in the 96-98 mph range. Maybe Contreras really was throwing that hard out of the pen? He was throwing a lot more over the top.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
TBS is scoring some pretty good ratings for the first couple games. up 15% over last year. Function of NYY, Boston, and both LA teams in there?

I'd bet that's a big part of it, but keep in mind they are taking a hit with the Cubs not being in there, and I'd bet the Twins draw less ratings than the White Sox, so I don't think that's the entire reason for the jump.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
TBS is scoring some pretty good ratings for the first couple games. up 15% over last year. Function of NYY, Boston, and both LA teams in there?

It is obviously the intelligent analyzations of Chip Carey.

Real GM came out with their end of the season rankings. http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_..._team_rankings/

14. Chicago White Sox: 3.26

Ken Williams had one of his strangest seasons given his moves for Jake Peavy and Alex Rios, followed by his seemingly premature concession where he dealt Jim Thome. Given the way Detroit stumbled and Minnesota charged into the playoffs, Williams very well might have punted away a legitimate postseason opportunity.

Ken Williams had one of his strangest seasons given his moves for Jake Peavy and Alex Rios, followed by his seemingly premature concession where he dealt Jim Thome. Given the way Detroit stumbled and Minnesota charged into the playoffs, Williams very well might have punted away a legitimate postseason opportunity.

My guess is if one of us posters had made this post we'd have been eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

How come everybody's so quiet in responding?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
My guess is if one of us posters had made this post we'd have been eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

How come everybody's so quiet in responding?

go read the thread where Thome was traded away and tell me if everyone was quiet

• 2 weeks later...