Gooch Returns?

NorthSideSox72

Probably nothing more than idle speculation, but an article on NPB Tracker (follows Japanse players) says a few teams may be vying for Iguchi's services. The author speculates the White Sox might want him back.

I'm not sure why, at this point. Seems really unlikely to me. But its slow in here, so I thought I'd put it out there.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
I was surprised when the Sox let him go the first time

Be thankful for the chain of events...

Sox trade Gooch to give Danny Richar (who was tearing up AAA) a fall audition at the major league level.

Danny stumbled at the plate.

The Sox... not sure Richar would be 'the guy' based on that audition... went out and signed Alexei to compete for the job.

Funny how life works out sometimes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
Sure, why the hell not? This offseason couldn't possibly suck any worse than it already has, so this can't hurt.

Yes, it could. We could be Cubs fans. We lost expendable pieces. They lost two of their once most promising pitching prospects (Ceda, Veal), missed out on the “big fish” (Peavy) and traded away their two clubhouse leaders (Derosa, Wood) Meanwhile, the White Sox got younger and not necessarily worse. Hell, I guess I’m just an optimist

Also, i love you Gooch but it's a no go on the sloppy seconds.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Yeah, but we did give up a legit OF prospect to get him in Cunningham. I think we'll regret letting him go.

gotta spend money to make money. we didn't have any 2B prospects in the higher levels of the system at that time and an apparent glut of OF prospects with Owens, Sweeny et. al. In the long run we got the short end of the stick but I don't think that Cunningham has really shown anything to indicate that he'll be any more than a replacement level player in the bigs at best.

I'm not interested in Gooch unless he wants to sign a minor league deal and be our plan D if Getz, Nix, and Lillebridge don't work out. I don't see any way that'll happen though, one of those three will be able to give us better production than Goochi can at this point in his career.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
This board is hot for Uribe, but is only luke warm over Gooch. Help me out.

OPS of .747 (OPS+ 92) in 2007, OPS of .598 (OPS+ 66) in 2008, lacks versatility around the diamond, and isn't stellar defensively. He's also 34 years old, which is almost always the downside of a career, while Uribe is entering his age 29 season.

It's pretty understandable.

Historically, the White Sox have always been 2-3 years too late on getting players past their prime/s...this time, KW really brought in Iguchi at the perfect time and place, as he was one of the catalysts in unwinding the selfishness of the previous teams and serving as a role model in how to play the game quietly and correctly, in a way that wasn't really reflected accurately by the box scores.

That .596 line from last year in SD is scary. I know Petco is a pitcher's park, but geez! That said, he was very solid with us and played very well for the Phillies after the trade in 2007.

I don't think we should give him a guaranteed contract, but it wouldn't be the worst back-up plan in the world for Getz/Lillibridge/Nix. That said, I would much prefer one of the younger guys succeeding, but the position seems to be Beckham's in the future, unless he ends up at 3B, where Viciedo theoretically would/should be better suited.