Gooch Returns?

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 05:19 AM)
Historically, the White Sox have always been 2-3 years too late on getting players past their prime/s...this time, KW really brought in Iguchi at the perfect time and place, as he was one of the catalysts in unwinding the selfishness of the previous teams and serving as a role model in how to play the game quietly and correctly, in a way that wasn't really reflected accurately by the box scores.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Thats a possibility. I think 2b is the clubs biggest asset as far as depth wise with Getz, Lillybridge, Nix and Beckham.

I don't understand why people are really counting Nix as depth. He's almost certainly triple A fodder and his career is likely to end up with him as a utility infielder than anything else. I also view Lillibridge as a CFer rather than a 2Bman, though he obviously has the ability to play both, along with SS.

Well, there's Betemit, too. I guess. Although he might be equally bad or so-so at every infield position, at least he's fairly versatile. However, if we have Betemit starting over 100 games at any position this year, I think we're in major trouble. Who knows, maybe he'll have a Carlos Quentin-ish breakout year offensively too playing at USCF. But not counting on that happening one bit.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
This board is hot for Uribe, but is only luke warm over Gooch. Help me out.

Wow. I don't want to see Uribe back here ever. Good defensive guy. Got to be one of the dumbest baseball players since Carlos Lee.

QUOTE (Maury @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
Wow. I don't want to see Uribe back here ever. Good defensive guy. Got to be one of the dumbest baseball players since Carlos Lee.

If we had jettisoned Uribe when we did Ozuna, there is no way in hell we'd have won the division. A lot of people were wishing for Uribe to get the ax at that time.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 01:39 AM)
If we had jettisoned Uribe when we did Ozuna, there is no way in hell we'd have won the division. A lot of people were wishing for Uribe to get the ax at that time.

I was wishing he'd get the ax before that, I just was really unhappy with him having a starting job. Not so much with him being on the team.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
I was wishing he'd get the ax before that, I just was really unhappy with him having a starting job. Not so much with him being on the team.

I said at the time that cutting Uribe would be a mistake and I'm glad they didn't. He did a very solid job replacing Crede.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)

I don't care about getting into the playoffs last year. I was just happier then hell that we sent the Twins home crying. I knew there was no chance in hell this team would beat TB. Bottom line is this team wasn't good enough to get to the world series. Not sure if they could have done it with Fields or not, but I'm just glad Uribe's gone and the Twins went home early.

QUOTE (Maury @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:58 AM)
I don't care about getting into the playoffs last year. I was just happier then hell that we sent the Twins home crying. I knew there was no chance in hell this team would beat TB. Bottom line is this team wasn't good enough to get to the world series. Not sure if they could have done it with Fields or not, but I'm just glad Uribe's gone and the Twins went home early.

I agree that Uribe is no longer needed, but he wasn't as a bad as some make him out to be. He's a very solid defensive player at three positions and that's pretty rare. He had a certain amount of value while he was here.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 01:20 AM)
I agree that Uribe is no longer needed, but he wasn't as a bad as some make him out to be. He's a very solid defensive player at three positions and that's pretty rare. He had a certain amount of value while he was here.

Defense was great. His plate presence , situational hitting, and baserunning are as bad as it gets. Fields was hurt last year and his glove is not as good but I'm sure everything else is better. We'll never know if they would have been better with out, but I'll always remember Juan's great catch in the World Series that ESPN ignores because it wasnt Jeter and his overall good defense. Beside that, he's a dumb baseball player. He can catch a ball and free swing at garbage.

QUOTE (Maury @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
Defense was great. His plate presence , situational hitting, and baserunning are as bad as it gets. Fields was hurt last year and his glove is not as good but I'm sure everything else is better. We'll never know if they would have been better with out, but I'll always remember Juan's great catch in the World Series that ESPN ignores because it wasnt Jeter and his overall good defense. Beside that, he's a dumb baseball player. He can catch a ball and free swing at garbage.

My opinion of Uribe is somewhat higher than yours. I guess we'll just have to let it stand there.

Uribe helped the club, not just last year, but for the better part of his stay. I'm happy he was here for as long as he was, and hope sliding Alexei over for the storied and legendary Getz make me forget his defense/pop. I'd like to eat my words so I invite his contributions, but I'm pretty unconvinced at this guy being anything more than a bench/utility man. Again, hope I'm wrong, cause after all I don't want to wish my team bad.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 01:40 AM)
Uribe helped the club, not just last year, but for the better part of his stay. I'm happy he was here for as long as he was, and hope sliding Alexei over for the storied and legendary Getz make me forget his defense/pop. I'd like to eat my words so I invite his contributions, but I'm pretty unconvinced at this guy being anything more than a bench/utility man. Again, hope I'm wrong, cause after all I don't want to wish my team bad.

He had contributions but 5 mill was way too much for a guy who could just play defense.

QUOTE (Maury @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)

Plate presence and base running I'll agree with. Uribe was actually a damn good situational hitter though. In 08, he had a .338 average with RISP, .290 average with men on base, .218 with the bases empty. For his career he's at .277 with RISP, .275 with men on, and .238 with the bases empty. It's why his RBI numbers have always been pretty solid even though he almost always hits .240.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 07:39 AM)

I couldn't agree more. We won the division in large part because Uribe stepped up to play thirdbase. I for one would have liked to see him come back as the super sub