2B Chris Getz

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Gavin Floyd

SP John Danks

SP Jeff Marquez

SP Clayton Richard

CL Bobby Jenks

Link

Nothing on here that's really a surprise at this point.

Edited by jenks45monster

And that my folks is an 81-win team at best. There is no way the bottom two of our rotation as currently constructed will allow us to be anything more. I am not pessimistic, just a realist basing off last year's numbers from the two. Marquez sucked in AAA and Richard sucked in the majors. Expecting anything more than 8-10 wins and a 5.00 ERA is foolish.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
And that my folks is an 81-win team at best. There is no way the bottom two of our rotation as currently constructed will allow us to be anything more. I am not pessimistic, just a realist basing off last year's numbers from the two. Marquez sucked in AAA and Richard sucked in the majors. Expecting anything more than 8-10 wins and a 5.00 ERA is foolish.

I agree with you on everything except the Clayton Richard part. He didn't suck the entire time he was with the team. He started off pretty shaky, clearly has a lot to work on, but he pitched great in the playoffs. That was encouraging for me to see from a rookie.

I don't like AJ batting second.

I agree the rotation needs one more proven starter.

This team will be a lot like last year's, only winning when the big bopper veterans blast the ball over the fence and the days our bullpen is on, not off.

How bout a veteran starter, Kenny?

How bout one more trade, talking Paulie or Thome into being moved.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
The same reason he had the edge over Quentin last ST as well. He has a great 40 yard dash time. Too bad outside of Owen's speed, he has no other benefit to a team.

That's what I thought. He's awful. He performed the worst between him, Brian and Wise last season. He should barely have consideration to make the team.

I think that will be our team going IN to spring training.

Like fathom said... if they suck... no way will KW go into the regular season without making changes...

I think that's particularly the case with the young starting pitchers and Owens, but it applies to everybody not just the young guys.

This year there are going to be vets looking for jobs all the way up til the start of the regular season.

No reason to rush and overpay for crap free agents just because people fear our young guys will suck... before they get a chance to play.

Let's see how spring training goes first.

No reason to get upset about this yet, as KW and Ozzie would never put such a pathetic team on the field come opening day. Both of them are too competitive to have a roster that has little chance to compete.

I can't believe that's you saying that.

Are you guys getting that similar feeling like it was the offseason prior to the 2007 season. KW didn't make a lot of moves, just kind of tweeked the team. We all know how that season turned out... I guess the only difference between that season and this season is that KW is letting more of the youth play. In 2007 the only player given a chance to perform was Danks. This year its going to be Getz, Fields and Owens. Hopefully at least one of those players pans out this year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Are you guys getting that similar feeling like it was the offseason prior to the 2007 season?

Not sure I'm following you on that one.

The 2007 starting lineup had no youth in it.

Pods

Erstad

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Crede

Iguchi

AJ

Uribe

And the rotation had only one young player... Danks.

Edited by scenario

That team not only looked old, it looked very pathetic going forward because of our minor league system's lack of anything but Andy Gonzalez and E. Wasserman, among others. I guess Fields was about the only encouraging thing to come out of it, and maybe Jerry Owens for one fairly decent sustained streak of hitting, stealing bases and high OBP.

Couple that with Cleveland's resurgence, the spending going on in DET (after the World Series team) and the usual grittiness of the Twins, things looked very, very bleak indeed.

Now the AL Central is suddenly like the B10 conference compared to the AL East.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
Not sure I'm following you on that one.

The 2007 starting lineup had no youth in it.

Pods

Erstad

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Crede

Iguchi

AJ

Uribe

And the rotation had only one young player... Danks.

All i was trying to say was there were only a few moves then just like we are seeing this offseason... And in 2009- the opening day roster will have more new starters than in that season. For the first time Getz, Fields and Owens will be starters. That season it was just Erstad. (haha how pathetic was Erstad for us?)

"I'm more set than I think you guys have written and talked about," said Williams with a laugh. "We've got a lot of confidence, but that's not unusual. It's not your job to scout and project players' performance. That's our job, and we'll continue to do that with the best players we put on the field."

- Kenny Williams

lol

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
"I'm more set than I think you guys have written and talked about," said Williams with a laugh. "We've got a lot of confidence, but that's not unusual. It's not your job to scout and project players' performance. That's our job, and we'll continue to do that with the best players we put on the field."

- Kenny Williams

lol

I think Brooks Boyer simply is paying off KW with some of his marketing funds, as KW's unbridled/unabashed enthusiasm has been one of the constants this offseason in the face of all the criticism. I don't know if 2008 validated any of his (KW's) theories or not, but he seems to be pretty sure of himself, almost too sure. (Maybe that quote about Detroit turning out to be true has gone to his head?) So either he's playing a great game of poker with Bond and Le Schiffre or we'll still see some twists and turns before the season opener. I know that he would have had a lot to answer for at Sox Fest (not that he would care!) had he done this coming off a non-pennant winning year, and with the tickets rising in price. I'm not sure how many of us are convinced on the message boards, but they say if you keep repeating something to yourself over and over again, i becomes the truth, at least your version of the truth. Maybe KW is telling the truth, or at least what he believes to be the truth. That or we're in for a really tough season again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Are you guys getting that similar feeling like it was the offseason prior to the 2007 season. KW didn't make a lot of moves, just kind of tweeked the team. We all know how that season turned out... I guess the only difference between that season and this season is that KW is letting more of the youth play. In 2007 the only player given a chance to perform was Danks. This year its going to be Getz, Fields and Owens. Hopefully at least one of those players pans out this year.

Finally someone who agrees! I have been saying this for the past month and everyday dread the start of this season...That projected lineup doesn't even win 81 games..I say 70-75 tops!

There is definitely more youth playing in 2009, but overall common sense knows this team is going to suck bad!

Positives (on paper)

We have 2 good starters and that's it

I put a question mark by Gavin because he had a career year last year.

Negatives

Richards/Marquez competing for 4 and 5 (that's all I have to say about that)

Positives

Jerry Owens may steal 40-50 bags

Negatives

Jerry Owens hits .230 with 0 HR and 20 RBI as leadoff hitter

Kenny's offseason quote "pitching and defense wins games and we need a leadoff hitter"

My Kenny Williams Interview

O.K. Kenny our pitching staff has 2 maybe 3 consistent starters, which means we will have to overuse the bullpen again. What happened when we overused our bullpen last year? Ohh and you say we need a leadoff hitter, but if you are going to use Jerry Owens then why didn't you just say we already have a leadoff hitter for next year. And if you are so high on him, why didn't you use him last year?

I know I have a lot of time on my hands and this offseason is aggravating!

just keep repeating, "everything will be fine."

fields will hit 30 homers and play decent defense

alexei will make the shift to SS and play just as well as cabrera

getz will hit .280 and play solid D

konerko will rebound to his 2006 performance

AJ will catch 135 games, so we don't need a capable backup

owens will have an OBP of .360 and steal 50 bases

clayton richard's ERA of 6.00 didn't really show his true ability.

#5 starters don't matter, everyone's #5 sucks.

what's the worry?