Scott Merkin's 2009 projected lineup

DaTank

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Finally someone who agrees! I have been saying this for the past month and everyday dread the start of this season...That projected lineup doesn't even win 81 games..I say 70-75 tops!

There is definitely more youth playing in 2009, but overall common sense knows this team is going to suck bad!

Positives (on paper)

We have 2 good starters and that's it

I put a question mark by Gavin because he had a career year last year.

Negatives

Richards/Marquez competing for 4 and 5 (that's all I have to say about that)

Positives

Jerry Owens may steal 40-50 bags

Negatives

Jerry Owens hits .230 with 0 HR and 20 RBI as leadoff hitter

Kenny's offseason quote "pitching and defense wins games and we need a leadoff hitter"

My Kenny Williams Interview

O.K. Kenny our pitching staff has 2 maybe 3 consistent starters, which means we will have to overuse the bullpen again. What happened when we overused our bullpen last year? Ohh and you say we need a leadoff hitter, but if you are going to use Jerry Owens then why didn't you just say we already have a leadoff hitter for next year. And if you are so high on him, why didn't you use him last year?

I know I have a lot of time on my hands and this offseason is aggravating!

I hardly think Danks is yet a proven ace until he backs up 2008 with a similar season in 2009, but Floyd looks a little bit more vulnerable, yes.

But please relax. Let each day worry about itself. And wait until Opening Day if you can. Then things will come into more focus.

Owens didn't play much because he was hurt in the spring (he was the projected starter entering the season) and then lost his position to Quentin basically, as they needed Swisher to play in CF and be the leadoff hitter as well. Anderson's not a leadoff hitter, and neither was Swisher after awhile.

Traditionally, the White Sox (from 2005-2008) have been one of the best teams in baseball in terms of not overusing their bullpen. But yes, we all know that starting off 2009 with Marquez and Richard/Poreda has all kinds of built-in peril in store for us and Ozzie.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
I don't like AJ batting second.

I agree the rotation needs one more proven starter.

AJ batting second is a disaster that will likely cost JD, Thome, and Paulie about 10 RBI's each.

I think the lineup is OK otherwise. Owens is the big ? for me, and AJ should never bat higher than 7th.

I propose:

Owens

Getz

Q

JD

Thome

Konerko

Ramirez

AJ

Fields

I know it's back to back lefties leading off, but Getz splits are even against RHP and LHP. If Lillibrige wins 2B, better options may exist.

The rotation needs a replacement for Marquez, but I'm oddly confident in Richard. Looking at the path both players have taken in respective MiLB careers, Clayton has shown remarkable, rapid improvement over two years. Despite a terrible start at the big league level, he began to show a lot of moxie, and "figure it out" pretty quickly. Being alongside MB and Danks won't hurt.

I hope Poreda's good enough, soon enough, because I'm not sure Marquez is MLB material. Who cares about an overabundance of LH starters? Not me. For the Sox to compete, they need to get better than Marquez here... unless KW is Nostradamus.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
CF Jerry Owens

C A.J. Pierzynski

LF Carlos Quentin

RF Jermaine Dye

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

SS Alexei Ramirez

3B Josh Fields

2B Chris Getz

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Gavin Floyd

SP John Danks

SP Jeff Marquez

SP Clayton Richard

CL Bobby Jenks

Link

Nothing on here that's really a surprise at this point.

Any chance at Lillbridge ending up in CF instead of Owens?

Ozzie went off and said that he doesn't believe that players can play the infield AND the outfield, and that everyone he's asked immediately said "shortstop" when he asked what his best position is.

I think 2B this is going to be like LF last year, when CQ was Kenny's guy, and Jerry Owens was Ozzie's guy.

This time, Lillibridge is Kenny's guy, and Getz is Ozzy's guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Any chance at Lillbridge ending up in CF instead of Owens?

I think there is a chance that could happen if both he and Getz hit well in spring training. That would force Ozzie to consider where to play both. Then Lillibridge's experience in CF and stolen base ability would come into play.

It could also happen if Owens gets hurt... which seems to almost be an annual occurrence.

I know it would create some heartache in the Anderson camp if Lillibridge played instead of Brian.

Just depends who's hitting better and Ozzie's desire to inject more speed in the lineup.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
I think there is a chance that could happen if both he and Getz hit well in spring training. That would force Ozzie to consider where to play both. Then Lillibridge's experience in CF and stolen base ability would come into play.

It could also happen if Owens gets hurt... which seems to almost be an annual occurrence.

I know it would create some heartache in the Anderson camp if Lillibridge played instead of Brian.

Just depends who's hitting better and Ozzie's desire to inject more speed in the lineup.

I was actually trying to find how much CF the kid has played, but there isn't much detail I can find on his minor league time. Anyone got any solid info on exactly how much CF Lillbridge has played?

Based on ability alone, Lillibridge would seem to have the higher ceiling, and yet Getz looks more likely to be a solid/steady player at this point. All that can change, as early as Spring Training.

The jury remains out on whether Lillibridge could actually be a leadoff hitter...and whether Owens can stay healthy playing CF everyday. I would say both are bigger question marks than Getz being a decent #2 hitter, although KW has rolled the dice before and won a number of times with players coming off injuries or down seasons like Lillibridge.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I was actually trying to find how much CF the kid has played, but there isn't much detail I can find on his minor league time. Anyone got any solid info on exactly how much CF Lillbridge has played?

Apparently he played quite the position quite a bit in college (Univ. of Wash) but has been a shortstop pretty much ever since he was drafted. I don't think he played CF at all in the minors with the Braves, baseballcube might have the answer.

Born September 18, 1983, in Everett, Wash. ... parents are Leslie and Curt Lillibridge ... has three younger brothers, Kiel, Cameron and Riley ... Kiel is a freshman on the UW baseball team this season ... majoring in anthropology.

Washington

2004 (Sophomore) - Named to the All-Pac-10 first team for the second straight season ... named to the all-tournament team at the NCAA Regional ... ranked third in the Pac-10 with 65 runs scored, seventh with 79 hits, fifth with 16 doubles, ninth with 11 home runs, seventh with 130 total bases, fifth with 41 walks and fourth with 18 stolen bases ... nine doubles in Pac-10 play tied for conference lead ... several season totals ranked in the top-10 in Husky history: 249 at bats (fifth), 79 hits (ninth), 54 runs (fifth), 41 walks (sixth) and 65 strikeouts (first) ... enters his junior year No. 6 on the UW career batting average list with a .347 mark ... 24 career home runs ties him for 10th in UW history ... finished the regular season on a 14-game hitting streak (21-for-59 (.356) with 18 runs during the streak) ... one of two Huskies to start every game ... began the year at shortstop, but moved back to center field (where he spent most of his freshman year) in midseason to give Batkoski a place to play

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)

Played there early in his college career.

Hasn't played CF in the minors. He's played 99%+ of his time at shortstop.

(I think we typed our answers at the same time caulfield.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
just keep repeating, "everything will be fine."

fields will hit 30 homers and play decent defense - I don't think it's too far fetched

alexei will make the shift to SS and play just as well as cabrera - He did last year

getz will hit .280 and play solid D - It seems pretty reasonable, given his minor league history

konerko will rebound to his 2006 performance - I don't know of anyone who has suggested this at all

AJ will catch 135 games, so we don't need a capable backup - 7 straight years of 128+ games behind the plate

owens will have an OBP of .360 and steal 50 bases - Owens blows

clayton richard's ERA of 6.00 didn't really show his true ability. - Richard was much improved after his first 3, but I agree that he's better served in the bullpen

#5 starters don't matter, everyone's #5 sucks. - and I still see the Sox bringing in another veteran starter

what's the worry? I don't see a ton to be concerned about

I really hope Lillibridge can force his way into center over Owens. Neither has proven anything at this level, but Brent has to be a better option out there than Owens. He just has to be.

The rotation is not ideal; I wish they had at least one more vet starter. As constructed, if Danks and Floyd regress at all, the season could turn disastrous quickly. Richard showed signs of improvement and a lot of heart over the course of last season, but I'm not sold on him as a starter yet. As far as Marquez, I will have faith in KDub and the scouts. They obviously see something they really like in Marquez. Hopefully, like Danks and Floyd, he will reward that faith with production.

Edited by Ron