Winter of '09 television season thread

shipps

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the Godfather several days ago on AMC and noticed their shameless promotion of Breaking Bad, so I decided to watch the first season on OnDemand.

I honestly believe this is the best show on television. Even for a cable network original series I was blown away with the subject matter they discussed. Just the idea of a chemist teacher dying of lung cancer, with his wife pregnant, and him having to resort to creating a high quality of meth to help finances after he's dead is a great plotline. Additionally, so were the issues facing Cranston of whether or not to kill to gang member in his partner's basement, and his families intervention to convince him to seek chemotherapy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow survives the disease, though. Or it atleast goes into remission.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
I was watching the Godfather several days ago on AMC and noticed their shameless promotion of Breaking Bad, so I decided to watch the first season on OnDemand.

I honestly believe this is the best show on television. Even for a cable network original series I was blown away with the subject matter they discussed. Just the idea of a chemist teacher dying of lung cancer, with his wife pregnant, and him having to resort to creating a high quality of meth to help finances after he's dead is a great plotline. Additionally, so were the issues facing Cranston of whether or not to kill to gang member in his partner's basement, and his families intervention to convince him to seek chemotherapy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow survives the disease, though. Or it atleast goes into remission.

I've been pimping that show for a while, to my friends at least. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on this site, but it's awesome. The new season starts two weeks from tomorrow. I was very happy that Cranston won the Emmy for Best Actor.

I'm getting caught up with Conan starting with Monday's show. Someone needs to tell Bob Saget that he isn't funny and that he needs to go away. His brand of shock humor wears thin after the first joke (which is especially unfortunate when he's doing an hour long Stand-up special) and he has no intuition for comedy. Hey! I'm Danny Tanner from Full House watch me say the word ERECTION! I don't know why Conan keeps having him on, watching Saget stare at a crowd that isn't laughing at his lame jokes isn't particularly funny. Apparently not being funny is supposed to be inherently funny, I don't get it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
I'm getting caught up with Conan starting with Monday's show. Someone needs to tell Bob Saget that he isn't funny and that he needs to go away. His brand of shock humor wears thin after the first joke (which is especially unfortunate when he's doing an hour long Stand-up special) and he has no intuition for comedy. Hey! I'm Danny Tanner from Full House watch me say the word ERECTION! I don't know why Conan keeps having him on, watching Saget stare at a crowd that isn't laughing at his lame jokes isn't particularly funny. Apparently not being funny is supposed to be inherently funny, I don't get it.

I agree with all of that. It's also VERY uncomfortable listening to him as his "blue" work, quite often, is just tasteless. Shock for shock, and that is it.

Oh please let this be the end of this show...

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5210CC20090302

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The economic downturn is jeopardizing "The Sarah Silverman Program," one of Comedy Central's signature series.

The show's executive producers -- Silverman, Dan Sterling and Rob Schrab -- have threatened to quit after the cable network told them the budget for their series would be slashed by more than 20%.

More than two months after "Sarah Silverman" ended its second season, the show has yet to be renewed for Season 3. (In 2007, the second-season pickup came 11 days after the series' premiere.)

At the center of the holdup is the proposed budget for Season 3. Citing cuts imposed on the network by parent company MTV Networks, Comedy Central had proposed that the trio bring back the Writers Guild of America Award-nominated show at about $850,000 an episode, sources said, down from the $1.1 million an episode for the show's second season.

In broadcast, single-camera comedies are produced for about $1.5 million-$2 million an episode, and the budget for any series normally climbs from year to year.

"Sarah Silverman" is a single-camera comedy that also features animated sequences and musical numbers.

The contracting ad market is hitting networks hard. MTV Networks' parent Viacom in December laid off 7% of its work force, though Comedy Central largely was spared because it had been through the ringer following the 2003 acquisition of Time Warner's 50% ownership in the network and had little left to cut.

Amid the economic woes, ABC Studios and 20th TV asked all of their showrunners to cut 2% of their series budgets.

Concerned they won't be able to maintain the integrity of the show at the discounted price, Silverman, on behalf of the three executive producers, informed the network late last week that they can't proceed with a third season. The move reportedly sent shock waves through Comedy Central's executive offices, with top brass jumping into action to find a budget compromise that would keep the flagship live-action series on the air.

As of Friday night, the situation remained at a standstill. Both sides continued their back-and-forth during the weekend.

A resolution is expected as early as Monday, and people familiar with the situation were optimistic that the two sides would agree on financial terms to bring back the show.

(Editing by Dean Goodman at Reuters)

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Steve, do you have any idea why that one guy has his face blurred out on Rob's fantasy factory? He showed his face all the time on Rob and Big, and you could tell it is him even through the blur. Iam just curious wtf he doesnt want to be seen.

Ok now I know why...couple episodes ago he asks Rob on the show why his face is blurred. Rob said that he didnt do any work at the factory so he gets no props.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
Fallon is absolutely horrible so far.

In other news, the sun rises in the east tomorrow.

Here's the "Stop Press"! - It's reported to be setting in the west about 12 or so hours later.