Winter of '09 television season thread

shipps

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
Got to give credit to the folks at ER.

While the Clooney news has been talked about, they never said which episode he was coming back. They could have very easily run ad after ad with Clooney in it, telling everyone when to watch, ect. Instead, they left it a surprise, which was cool to see. (I also understand the strategy of not telling anyone, making sure people watch every episode to see which one it would be).

Also thought the way it was handled was very good as well. Wasnt cheesy IMO. I've watched ER since the beginning and even tho the show has declined in recent seasons I've still watched. I've liked how they've brought characters back this final season, it's been fun. Only three more to go.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 07:45 AM)
Also thought the way it was handled was very good as well. Wasnt cheesy IMO. I've watched ER since the beginning and even tho the show has declined in recent seasons I've still watched. I've liked how they've brought characters back this final season, it's been fun. Only three more to go.

Totally. I was afraid of the whole Carter dying and everyone doing the cheesey goodbyes which is why they would the cast would all be coming back. Having Ross and Hathaway doing their jobs while not knowing who they were saving was a great angle. It made it feel more authentic. We got to see each of the Docs in their own element. It was great writing, which is something we haven't really seen for a while from ER.

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 05:46 AM)
I thought 'Better Off Ted' was pretty ok last night. I could see the show hitting a good stride and being pretty funny. That means somehow(even though it's on ABC) Fox will find a way to cancel it on me LOL

I gave it three minutes, and it just wasn't doing it for me. When characters are talking to the camera, it's a bad sign.

Battlestar Galactica ended last night. Two hour series ender i thought was pretty ok. It answered some questions..left some hanging....the actual ending of the show i wasn't happy with but up till the last 5 minutes or so..i was generally pleased.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Anybody ever catch My Boys on TBS? They might want to consider hiring some writers with actual comedic talent.

It's been that way for a year or more now, and the writing never gets better. Decent concept, horrible writing...yet for some reason I still watch it if I'm flipping through channels and it is on.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
It's been that way for a year or more now, and the writing never gets better. Decent concept, horrible writing...yet for some reason I still watch it if I'm flipping through channels and it is on.

I caught it twice so far and had a blank stare on my face each time. I was waiting for someone to at least make me smile.

I wanted to throw out there that I was really impressed with not only the finale of ER, but the entire final season. Instead of doing all of the really cliche crap they could have done at pretty much every turn, the show really pressed hard to stay true to the original seasons. Even as they brought back characters, they didn't take the easy way out. For example in the episode with Clooney and Margulies, they could have so easily had them find out that the kidney was for Carter and had him do the whole over the top, break the rules, emotional thing that would have just been ultra-cheesey. Instead they kept it at everyone doing their jobs to the best of their ability. The final episode was really done in the same fashion. Kudos to the show, I am going to miss it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
I wanted to throw out there that I was really impressed with not only the finale of ER, but the entire final season. Instead of doing all of the really cliche crap they could have done at pretty much every turn, the show really pressed hard to stay true to the original seasons. Even as they brought back characters, they didn't take the easy way out. For example in the episode with Clooney and Margulies, they could have so easily had them find out that the kidney was for Carter and had him do the whole over the top, break the rules, emotional thing that would have just been ultra-cheesey. Instead they kept it at everyone doing their jobs to the best of their ability. The final episode was really done in the same fashion. Kudos to the show, I am going to miss it.

Agree completely. I was impressed with the final episode/season as well. I too will miss it in Thursday evenings