Andruw Jones to the Sox??

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there was also a rumor they were trying to dump Jones on the Mets and were willing to give up a huge chunk of his salary for 2009. Of course, the Mets already have this dude named Beltran for that position.

The problem, once again, is who is the leadoff man if we get Jones? Getz/Lillibridge? Ramirez with his low OBP?

Well, there was also a rumor they were trying to dump Jones on the Mets and were willing to give up a huge chunk of his salary for 2009. Of course, the Mets already have this dude named Beltran for that position.

The problem, once again, is who is the leadoff man if we get Jones? Getz/Lillibridge? Ramirez with his low OBP?

I guess Brian Roberts if that O's rumor is true..

The Mets also have Martinez not to sure why they would want Andruw

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
TJ Simers was on the radio here in LA was talking about the Jones contract.. He reported that the Sox are the heavy favorite to get Andruw Jones for young pitching coming back to LA..

Simers is smoking something.

#1 The Sox don't have young pitching.

#2 Jones isn't worth young pitching.

#3 The Sox are short pitchers enough as it is.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
I guess Brian Roberts if that O's rumor is true..

The Mets also have Martinez not to sure why they would want Andruw

Wait.

So, the Sox give up invisible young pitching for Jones, then trade Floyd for a Roberts loaner.

I suppose that 3 guys can pitch 300 innings each...

Wait.

So, the Sox give up invisible young pitching for Jones, then trade Floyd for a Roberts loaner.

I suppose that 3 guys can pitch 300 innings each...

If Kenny was to trade Gavin. I'm sure he will be signing a free agent.

Broadway & Link for Jones wouldn't be a bad deal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)

Having a good leadoff guy isn't terribly important. I wouldn't go so far as to call it 100% irrelevant, but, its not a good reason in itself to change your tactics in building a roster. You build the best roster you can, then sort out who among those is best fit to lead off.

I think there is a lot of flexibility in the definition of "young pitching". Looking at the system as a whole, the Sox do have some talented pitching to deal. The Sox do not have any future aces in the making or anything - Poreda being the closest thing. But there are guys in the system like Cassel, Shirek, Carter, etc. that could draw interest. Unfortunately, the ones closest to the majors (Broadway, Egbert, Marquez, Richard) aren't thought to have as high a ceiling.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
If Kenny was to trade Gavin. I'm sure he will be signing a free agent.

Broadway & Link for Jones wouldn't be a bad deal.

Andruw's historical numbers are worth much more than that, no matter how bad he is now.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Andruw's historical numbers are worth much more than that, no matter how bad he is now.

No way. He can't crack LA's line-up. He's paid more money than Bobby Abreu will get. If he does anything at all he will be gone in a season. The only thing he's worth is the hot dog vendor who yells "hot dogs" at the top of his lungs every other step he takes.

$12.2M signing bonus ($5.1M in 2008, $2.1M in 2009, $5M in 2010)

08:$9M, 09:$15M

no-trade clause

perks: suite on road

Jones to donate $0.15M annually to club charity Very, very generous of him, only $150,000, of which he'll get 1/3rd back in a tax deduction.

from cot's baseballcontracts

So he's still owed $22.1 million.

The Dodgers would need to eat somewhere between $14-16 million of that before KW would think about biting on this deal for one year.

from mlbtraderumors.com

FRIDAY, 7:51pm: Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Major League Player's Association has approved the contract agreement, which will defer Jones' remaining salary. According to an industry source, Jones will either be traded or released before the start of spring training and perhaps sometime this month.

FRIDAY, 2:38pm: SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Dodgers and Jones have agreed to rework his contract to save the team $12MM in '09. Jones is likely to play for another team in the coming season.

THURSDAY, 9:55pm: As pointed out in the comments section below, Andruw's '09 salary could be deferred across several years and would thus gain interest, resulting in a higher total payout. That could work for both sides. A blog called Fantasy Sports Experience recalls a similar situation with the Mets and Bobby Bonilla in 2000.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
$12.2M signing bonus ($5.1M in 2008, $2.1M in 2009, $5M in 2010)

08:$9M, 09:$15M

no-trade clause

perks: suite on road

Jones to donate $0.15M annually to club charity Very, very generous of him, only $150,000, of which he'll get 1/3rd back in a tax deduction.

So he's still owed $22.1 million.

The Dodgers would need to eat somewhere between $14-16 million of that before KW would think about biting on this deal for one year.

If KW is willing to give a guy who has played like Jones has the past 2 seasons $6-8 million, he's insane. What's going to happen is his salary will be deferred and the Dodgers will wind up releasing him unless someone wants to give up something for a guy who made Juan Uribe look like a right handed Ted Williams in 2009. 76 strikeouts in just over 200 AB. A .249 slugging pct.? I forgot that if he is released, he'll be playing for the minimum, so maybe KW would take a chance there, but I would guess he'd go to a team that appears more of a lock to compete for a trophy especially with his current agent.

Edited by Dick Allen

This young pitching better be s***, or else. Jones has been horrific the last two seasons, worst than any option we could currently throw out there. He was probably a roider and will never see his career get back. I think he is too expensive for the Sox even with his restructured deal because the upside is not that high.

Well, the problem with that is what contending major league team would be willing to give Andruw Jones their CF job heading into 2009? The White Sox, in this regard, seem as good a bet as any team to be interested. I'm not saying it's altogether logical or that KW hasn't gone off the deep end with this move...but at least we now have something to talk about and discuss for the first time in a couple of weeks!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
No way. He can't crack LA's line-up. He's paid more money than Bobby Abreu will get. If he does anything at all he will be gone in a season. The only thing he's worth is the hot dog vendor who yells "hot dogs" at the top of his lungs every other step he takes.

that guy is a staple at the cell. hes not going anywhere. he and the silent asian hotdog lady are by far the two best vendors