Andruw Jones to the Sox??

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:52 AM)
When I saw this rumor on here, it made me throw up in my mouth.

Not me! I'm happy to see some hot stove rumors to think about and discuss. It's been dead here since the Dye/Bailey rumor fizzled. If Jones comes to the Sox it would be a KW buy low situation with LA picking up MOST of his contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
No way. He can't crack LA's line-up. He's paid more money than Bobby Abreu will get. If he does anything at all he will be gone in a season. The only thing he's worth is the hot dog vendor who yells "hot dogs" at the top of his lungs every other step he takes.

PLEASE trade that annoying vendor. Anywhere.

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Trading Dye for Bailey-esque pitcher, and signing Orlando Hudson sound like KW moves. Trading Floyd for Roberts and trading for Jones sound nothing like KW moves.

I agree with most, I'd rather try in-house options.

They don't sound like KW moves? Have you been watching the same guy I have?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
They don't sound like KW moves? Have you been watching the same guy I have?

When has KW traded a proven young first round major league arm for an older 2B, and when has he gone out and signed a notoriously lazy, overpaid, possible PED user?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
When has KW traded a proven young first round major league arm for an older 2B, and when has he gone out and signed a notoriously lazy, overpaid, possible PED user?

He did trade Royce Ring, his first round pick for Robby Alomar, and signed Jose Canseco and actually apologized he couldn't pay him more than he did.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
So, your answer is never?

No. Roberts is light years ahead of where Alomar was when KW traded Ring for him. And giving Canseco any money at that point was overpaying. Andruw Jones will be playing for the minimum for some team other than the Dodgers next season. Canseco got a little more than that.

I don't want Jones on the White Sox either. Anyone who constantly b****ed about Uribe, Anderson, Wise etc. are hypocrites if they clamour for Andruw Jones, a guy who has hit a combined .205 his last 2 seasons and struck out 76 times in 209 AB last season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
No. Roberts is light years ahead of where Alomar was when KW traded Ring for him. And giving Canseco any money at that point was overpaying. Andruw Jones will be playing for the minimum for some team other than the Dodgers next season. Canseco got a little more than that.

I don't want Jones on the White Sox either. Anyone who constantly b****ed about Uribe, Anderson, Wise etc. are hypocrites if they clamour for Andruw Jones, a guy who has hit a combined .205 his last 2 seasons and struck out 76 times in 209 AB last season.

Please re-read the quote you are basing your argument on. PROVEN MLB PITCHING does not equal Royce Ring

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Please re-read the quote you are basing your argument on. PROVEN MLB PITCHING does not equal Royce Ring

PROVEN MLB PITCHING doesn't include Gavin Floyd's 1 season of success either. Career ERA of 4.98 and career WHIP of 1.436 is hardly proven. KW traded a PROVEN MLB PITCHER for one year of Orlando Cabrera as well. Roberts is far superior offensively.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
PROVEN MLB PITCHING doesn't include Gavin Floyd's 1 season of success either. Career ERA of 4.98 and career WHIP of 1.436 is hardly proven. KW traded a PROVEN MLB PITCHER for one year of Orlando Cabrera as well. Roberts is far superior offensively.

Come on Dick, stop trying to stretch Royce Ring into Gavin Floyd to make an iffy point as it is. KW has dont alot of work to collect arms like Gavin and Danks and is not going to trade them for Brian Roberts just to fill a lead off hole.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Come on Dick, stop trying to stretch Royce Ring into Gavin Floyd to make an iffy point as it is. KW has dont alot of work to collect arms like Gavin and Danks and is not going to trade them for Brian Roberts just to fill a lead off hole.

Its no stretch. I don't think he'd even consider Floyd for Roberts as much as I personally would love it. Its just that it is not as unprecedented as you claim.

Neither Ring or Floyd are "proven." Happy?

What does DA get for correctly guessing Jose Canseco on the second part of your original question?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
Its no stretch. I don't think he'd even consider Floyd for Roberts as much as I personally would love it. Its just that it is not as unprecedented as you claim.

Yes it is, I still havent seen an instance of when he took one of his young starters from his rotation to trade for a 2B when he has a glut at the position. I also do not recall him acquiring a guy like Jones who has been called lazy and uncoachable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Yes it is, I still havent seen an instance of when he took one of his young starters from his rotation to trade for a 2B when he has a glut at the position.

No one would lose any sleep at all over those 2Bs going to the minors.

And Beckham's true position and start date are still unknown. He might not even be with this organization in a year. You know KW.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
No one would lose any sleep at all over those 2Bs going to the minors.

And Beckham's true position and start date are still unknown. He might not even be with this organization in a year. You know KW.

2B is a clear position for us where we can save payroll. I just dont see anyone else brought into the mix at this point, especially not when it requires trading one of your best young starters.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Yes it is, I still havent seen an instance of when he took one of his young starters from his rotation to trade for a 2B when he has a glut at the position. I also do not recall him acquiring a guy like Jones who has been called lazy and uncoachable.

Homer Bailey is supposedly lazy and uncoachable and there have been rumors. I think it would be insane to give Jones anything more than the minimum and then you could roll the dice even though I think most would be very disappointed. I think his goose is cooked. Canseco basically said his steroid use helped him because he was lazy, and I've never heard Jose Canseco and coachable in the same sentence. Wasn't Loaisa considered to be very lazy? He acquired him twice. IIRC, when Jones was a FA last year, Ozzie was really high on him, but KW didn't share the love. I doubt the 2008 performance raised his opinion, but for the minimum he may think it might be worth seeing if he could legitimately beat out Owens and BA and Wise. I think if it was a fair competition he would probably come in 4th.

The "glut" at 2nd base is Lillibridge who many scouts feel will top out as a utility guy, Nix a minor leaguer released by Colorado and Beckham a guy probably a couple hundred AB away who could play SS perhaps, that's where the White Sox are supposedly going to have in play in the minors. This could move Ramirez to CF.