Gammons mentions Beckham

2nd_city_saint787

So in 2009, we focus not on the names and the celebrity value of additions to clubs, but what Jay Bruce, Ian Stewart, Dexter Fowler, David Price, Cameron Maybin, Max Scherzer, Chris Davis, Matt Wieters, Gordon Beckham, Adam Lind, Justin Upton, Tommy Hanson and other extraordinary young players will do for their teams. Ask the Phillies and Mets about Florida's Josh Johnson (24) and Ricky Nolasco (26). The Marlins had nearly the best 1-2 punch in the NL East down the stretch in 2008, so where does that take them this season?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=gammons_peter

it's a pretty good read, he's mentioned along with good company.

Do we see slayer in 09?? Hes the only one mentioned from this past draft class, do you guys think he is the best player drafted?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=gammons_peter

it's a pretty good read, he's mentioned along with good company.

Do we see slayer in 09?? Hes the only one mentioned from this past draft class, do you guys think he is the best player drafted?

no he's not the best player drafted, he's merely the closest to the majors with the best opportunity to be promoted to the majors.

• 2 weeks later...

John Manuel of Baseball America apparently like beckham quite a bit ....

Doug, Brooklyn, NY: C'mon, AL top 10 please! I won't even hold it against you for knocking the NFL Hall of Fame when the MLB one has turned into the Hall of Pretty Good lately.

SportsNation John Manuel: MLB's HOF has actually improved its standards compared to the guys it used to allow in, but I agree the Rice vote doesn't help the Hall. My AL top 10 went a little something like this; Wieters-Price-Feliz, then Travis Snider, Brett Anderson, fellow Greek-American Mike Moustakas, Chris Tillman, Trevor Cahill, Gordon Beckham and Brian Matusz.

Vik (Chicago): Who would you play at 2B for the Whitesox? Getz, Lillibridge or Nix? Any of them long-term starters?

SportsNation John Manuel: Best spring training wins. Getz might be the best fit in terms of bringing a different look to the lineup as an LH bat with some speed; that team seems very righthanded to me. Nix is a good guy to try but I don't have confidence that he will hit. Lillibridge brings more value if he's playing SS but to me he, like Getz, is more of an extra guy. They're all place-holders for Gordon Beckham, who will rake in pro ball, I'm a Beckham fan.

Edited by daa84