Official: Richardson withdraws as Commerce secretary

HuskyCaucasian

Per MSNBC:

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, tapped in December by President-elect Barack Obama to serve as secretary of Commerce, has withdrawn his name for the position, citing a pending investigation into a company that has done business with his state.

"Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact," he said Sunday in a report by NBC News' Andrea Mitchell. "But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process."

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a lucrative New Mexico state contract.

A person familiar with the proceedings has told The Associated Press that the grand jury is looking into possible "pay-to-play" dealings between CDR Financial Products and someone in a position to push the contract through with the state of New Mexico.

Richardson said he plans to continue in his role as governor. "I appreciate the confidence President-elect Obama has shown in me, and value our friendship and working partnership. I told him that I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful. And like all Americans, I pray for his success and the success of our beloved country."

Obama said Sunday he accepted Richardson's decision to withdraw with 'deep regret.'

"Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama said.

Richardson, 61, was United Nations ambassador and energy secretary during the Clinton administration, and he is in his second term as New Mexico's governor. He also served seven terms in the House of Representatives.

If he had been confirmed by the Senate as secretary of Commerce, he would have taken over a sprawling department that oversees the National Weather Service, the Census Bureau, economic development programs and more.

One of the nation's most prominent Hispanic politicians, Richardson had pledged at the time of his nomination — in English and Spanish — to work to renew the economy.

Obama on Sunday gave no indication whom he might name to replace Richardson as the nominee but said "we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
I believe that the Dems, if they haven't already, are well on their way of claiming possession of the 'Culture of Corruption' tag line.

Thank god we have the republicans who have never been in trouble. Ever.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Thank god we have the republicans who have never been in trouble. Ever.

So because Republicans have in the past been guilty of things, this makes the recent spate of Democrats being caught doing some bad s*** ok? Take your moral equivelency and shove it. No where did I excuse whatever repubs have done in the past, but right NOW, all you hear about are the Dems getting caught screwing up. From Blago, to Richardson to Rangle, this is supposed to be the most transparent, ethical Dems ever? Riiiiight. Welcome to the spotlight, Dems. Now that you are in power, the rock covering YOU gets overturned, and it is YOUR s*** that gets exposed.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
So because Republicans have in the past been guilty of things, this makes the recent spate of Democrats being caught doing some bad s*** ok?

of course it does. Blago for president in 2016!

LOL at the idea that corruption has a party.

On Richardson, this sucks big time. I liked him for Prez. On the one hand, if the Feds are investigating and talking grand jury, you are probably guilty of something. On the other hand, doesn't seem as bad as Blago's s***, but that may just be because Richardson isn't quite as stupid. In any case, I certainly hope its nothing.

Probably though, its something. Crap, indeed.

From what I understand, after hearing some stuff on the BBC about it is that Richardson is expected to be fully cleared of any wrongdoing or unethical behavior. The reason for the withdrawal is that they don't think that the grand jury will make that announcement until after Jan 20 and Richardson did not want a scandal to hang around the neck of Obama at the start of the administration.

That being said, I'm kinda glad he bowed out because I didn't like him in any position except State.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
From what I understand, after hearing some stuff on the BBC about it is that Richardson is expected to be fully cleared of any wrongdoing or unethical behavior. The reason for the withdrawal is that they don't think that the grand jury will make that announcement until after Jan 20 and Richardson did not want a scandal to hang around the neck of Obama at the start of the administration.

That being said, I'm kinda glad he bowed out because I didn't like him in any position except State.

I'd like to know your thinking on the bolded. Why would he have been good for State, but bad for Commerce? One thing Richardson has done well in NM is bring new business and jobs. Plus he has foreign policy experience. Seems to me like either would have been a good fit, resume-wise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
I'd like to know your thinking on the bolded. Why would he have been good for State, but bad for Commerce? One thing Richardson has done well in NM is bring new business and jobs. Plus he has foreign policy experience. Seems to me like either would have been a good fit, resume-wise.

He's not a good cabinet secretary. He wouldn't administrate a department very well, imho. The difference with State is that his primary responsibility would be more about state to state negotiations where he excels. His foreign policy positives outweigh his cabinet history negatives in State and only in State.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
LOL at the idea that corruption has a party.

On Richardson, this sucks big time. I liked him for Prez. On the one hand, if the Feds are investigating and talking grand jury, you are probably guilty of something. On the other hand, doesn't seem as bad as Blago's s***, but that may just be because Richardson isn't quite as stupid. In any case, I certainly hope its nothing.

Probably though, its something. Crap, indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_corruption

Political corruption is not new. "Culture of corruption" is a political slogan first used in contemporary times by the United States Democratic Party to refer to a series of political scandals affecting the Republican Party during the first two years of George W. Bush's second term as President of the United States. Since then the phrase has been applied to the United States Democratic Party as a result of multiple episodes of corruption in that party.

The Dems tried to pin it as a republican 'thing', and I contend that the dems are trying to steal it for their own. They can have it.

For nearly three decades, I have been honored to serve my state and our nation in Congress, at the U.N., as Secretary of Energy and as governor. So when the President-elect asked me to serve as Secretary of Commerce, I felt a duty to answer the call.

I felt that duty particularly because America is facing such extraordinary economic challenges. The Department of Commerce must play an important role in solving them by helping to grow the new jobs and businesses America so badly needs.

It is also because of that sense of urgency about the work of the Commerce Department that I have asked the President-elect not to move forward with my nomination at this time.

I do so with great sorrow. But a pending investigation of a company that has done business with New Mexico state government promises to extend for several weeks or, perhaps, even months.

Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact. But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process.

Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the President-elect and his Administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done.

So, for now, I will remain in the job I love, Governor of New Mexico, and will continue to work every day, with Lieutenant Governor Diane Denish, to make a positive difference in the lives of New Mexicans. I believe she will be a terrific governor in the future.

I appreciate the confidence President-elect Obama has shown in me, and value our friendship and working partnership. I told him that I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful. And like all Americans, I pray for his success and the success of our beloved country.

I've included President-elect Obama's statement in response to my own:

Statement of the President-elect:

It's with deep regret that I accept Governor Bill Richardson's decision to withdraw his name for nomination as the next Secretary of Commerce.

He is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office.

It is a measure of his willingness to put the nation first that he has removed himself as a candidate for the Cabinet in order to avoid any delay in filling this important economic post at this critical time.

Although we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision, I look forward to his future service to our country and in my administration.

Thank you for your past and continued support.

I look forward to putting this matter to rest and in the meantime I am preparing for the upcoming New Mexico legislative session.

All my best wishes,

Bill Richardson

Governor of New Mexico

The couple of points worth noting on here.

1. Richardson should have known well before January 3rd whether or not this was going to be a problem. It reflects poorly on him that he waited this long.

2. More importantly to my eyes...it reflects even more poorly on the Obama transition team that they did not realize this was going to be a problem during their vetting processes. This case suggests that they put a lot more emphasis on vetting the lower level guys (remember the gigantic form they had to fill out as qualification) but they were disturbingly lax in investigating their top level guys. This is very troublesome.

3. Even if Richardson did nothing wrong, there is strong suggestion of impropriety on the part of people in his administration so far, and it's hard to believe he could be clean here.

4. Maybe we can now get a better progressive somewhere on Obama's top economic team?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
The Democrats are masters of bumper sticker slogans and such phrases.

FemiNazis

Ditto

Tree Huggers

liberals

etc. etc.

No monopoly on that skill.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
There are masters on both sides. Let's bring out Joe the Plumber :lolhitting

Grand master blackbelts on both sides.

Someone on FOX yesterday actually said "I wonder what Joe the Plumber thinks about all this." True story.

edit: anyone know if he Joe the Plumber won his lawsuit against the state of Ohio for illegally searching his private records and handing them over to the media and all the other pro-Democrat organizations?

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
The couple of points worth noting on here.

1. Richardson should have known well before January 3rd whether or not this was going to be a problem. It reflects poorly on him that he waited this long.

2. More importantly to my eyes...it reflects even more poorly on the Obama transition team that they did not realize this was going to be a problem during their vetting processes. This case suggests that they put a lot more emphasis on vetting the lower level guys (remember the gigantic form they had to fill out as qualification) but they were disturbingly lax in investigating their top level guys. This is very troublesome.

3. Even if Richardson did nothing wrong, there is strong suggestion of impropriety on the part of people in his administration so far, and it's hard to believe he could be clean here.

4. Maybe we can now get a better progressive somewhere on Obama's top economic team?

On 2, I have a hard time believing that Obama's team would have missed that. I think its simple - its a federal investigation, and Obama's team couldn't have found out unless they got lucky. That's not information that is out there, unless the feds want it out there, usually.

On 4, I don't think a "progressive" is a good idea for commerce. I think someone like Richardson, who is pro-business with overseas experience, would be a better choice.