Burrell signs with the Rays

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Great move for the price. Looking forward to see where the rest of the league'll stand with Burell and Bradley off the market

We are really seeing the prices of those second tier free agents coming down hard. I think this saids two things for the White Sox. #1, Jermaine Dye isn't going anywhere without the Sox picking up part of that contract. The Sox aren't going to pick up any more money in a trade, so Dye isn't going anywhere. #2 as prices keep falling, I really think Kenny will go bargain hunting for a SP.

nice deal for the rays IMO...he can't play the field, but the rays didnt really have a DH so it doesn't matter...the guy will get on base in the high .300s and hit 30 HR....add in the fact that the years were short, and it really looks like the market is declining

Edited by daa84

Fantastic move for them.

Also, I'm loving this new market where solid players like Burrell aren't getting 5 years, 70 million anymore. Hopefully it'll stay like this for a while, but once teams get into better financial situations, teams will once again overpay for free agents.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Depends on if their bullpen performs again. They had multiple guys have career years last year (think 2005 White Sox). Besides that, they do indeed look damn good.

There's plenty of reason to think that their bullpen could improve next year...depending on what they do with their starting rotation. Remember, at the end of the season last year they added a guy who it seems that some people think might be pretty good, David Price. At least for now, that would free up an arm from their rotation to move to the bullpen as a long man or as another option there, and that's the sort of move that can really pick up a bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
There's plenty of reason to think that their bullpen could improve next year...depending on what they do with their starting rotation. Remember, at the end of the season last year they added a guy who it seems that some people think might be pretty good, David Price. At least for now, that would free up an arm from their rotation to move to the bullpen as a long man or as another option there, and that's the sort of move that can really pick up a bullpen.

I'm confused. Are you saying Price will be in the 'pen? Or with the addition of Price to the rotation means that they could move a starter to the 'pen? Either way, if Balfour, Wheeler, and Howell revert back to their pre-2008 form, they'll be in trouble.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
quick guess

Iwamura - 2B

Upton - CF

Longoria - 3B

Pena - 1B

Burrell - DH

Crawford - LF

Navarro - C

Joyce - RF

Bartlett - SS

looks like a lineup that could score 800 runs. That's some much needed power in the middle of their lineup.

Personally, I don't think Burrell was a great fit for them. They obviously went with the cheaper option, but Bradley (or Dye) would have made much more sense. In the proposed lineup above (which I'd really recommend against), they've got Pena and Burrell hitting 4/5. Considering the two of them have a history of struggling to hit .250, you're going to need a lot of love from the Gods above to have something consistent come out of the middle of your order.

I think a lineup vs righties of

Iwamura - 2B

Crawford - LF

Longoria - 3B

Pena - 1B

Upton - CF

Burrell - DH

Navarro - C

Joyce - RF

Bartlett - SS

would make a lot more sense.

Pat Burrell: Philanthropist?

I’m not referring to the portion of Pat Burrell’s new two-year $16-million contract that will be going to the Rays Baseball Foundation. When I first read the headlines, I inadvertently believed the deal was worth $16 million per season, which is close to what I anticipated he would get. For two years, I have him valued at approximately $30 million. This contract is also considerably less than the $31.5 million that Burrell’s former Phillies will pay Raul Ibanez over the next three seasons.

I can only guess what motivated Burrell to sign this contract. Here are a few potential explanations.

The down economy has reduced revenue expectations, decreasing teams’ willingness to pay for free agents.

There is a glut of free-agent outfielders on the market, forcing competition between players, and thus depressing salaries.

Burrell wanted to take less to play in a comfortable environment that the Rays provide.

I don’t think the economy explains much of the discount. The inferior-but-similar Ibanez received a far superior contract in the same market conditions. Ryan Dempster and A.J. Burnett both received big contracts that I believe exceed their expected values. Furthermore, I believe the potential damage to MLB from the recession has been exaggerated by management, who want to convince players to sign for less. Though baseball will suffer, I think the damage will not be that large and short-lived. I’ve been following the economic impact stories closely, and baseball—like other major sports—seems to be somewhat resistant to recessions. Fans love their sports teams, and following sports is a relatively cheap form of entertainment. In any event, the economic downturn cannot explain the magnitude of Burrell’s discount—a short-term deal for nearly half of his potential revenue generation.

The second potential explanation is an argument that I see frequently in discussions of the free-agent market. However, the common intuition regarding the number of free agents on the market affecting the competitiveness of the market is wrong. The relative scarcity of talent doesn’t change when a player signs with a team or when there are many players on the market. For every free agent signing, there is one less buyer on the market, and for every free-agent player there is an additional open roster spot. Braves fans are well aware the available slots for outfielders.

This leaves me with the final explanation: Burrell was willing to accept less to play in Tampa. If Burrell was a financial mercenary, I think that he would’ve waited longer to sign a deal like this. Burrell went to college in Florida, so maybe he likes it there. Playing in front of fans who boo you for your big salary even when you are a productive player has to be frustrating. In Tampa, if the team stinks the fans just don’t go to the game. He’s earned a total of $54 million over the course of his playing career, so he’s probably willing to sacrifice some additional wealth for comfort.

We’ll soon see how the rest of the market shakes it. If other deals are vastly below expectations, then I think it’s a sign that the economy is having a dramatic effect on the players market.sabernomics.com

Saw something about FLA having no state income tax, but that still doesn't account for a 44% pay cut differential.