Bradley signs with Cubs 3 yr/30M

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Source Bruce Levine

I think this is not a very good signing for the Flubs

Do the Cubs now have the worst defensive outfield in baseball? Soriano LF, Black Hole CF, Bradley RF? That's God awful.

3/30 for a glorified DH when you're a NL team is a bit outlandish. Lucky for Bradley (and the Cubs), Wrigley is almost as much of a bandbox as Texas was. He's a lefty though, so at least they have that going for them.

I love this post from the cubs board

This is a horrible contract for the Cubs. Jim Hendry should be fired. One year is too much, 3 years, at $10 million per? for a guy who can't play OF anymore? who keeps getting hurt every single year, and who keeps getting into trouble, every single year?

Complete Lunacy.

Milton Bradley, 9 years in the majors, has attacked 3 fans, 2 coaches/managers, 1 umpire, and 1 announcer. He's stayed healthy enough/not been suspended long enough to get over 500 ab's exactly once in 9 years.

Horrible, horrible signing. The guy can't even play RF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
What's the over/under on how many games into the season when Bradley and Zambrano get into a fight in that clubhouse/dugout?

:lolhitting that would be so cool. It would land both of them on the 15 day.

I really don't understand the Cubs sometimes... Pat the Bat has OPS'd right around .900 the each of the last 4 years (2 years, $16 million)... MB has OPS'd .900 1 time in the last 5 (if you take out his 42 game stint in 2007, and that warrants 3 years, $30 million?)

I've been saying it for awhile, but Hendry just spends the money and rapes the Pirates in trades, he's not a good GM at all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
This will be an interesting dynamic, as a lot of former Cubs players have claimed that Wrigley hosts some of the most racist fans in the majors (especially in the bleachers).

yeah they certainly let hawkins have it, but there have been plenty of african american players that the cubs have embraced as well....this is pretty high risk, pretty high reward for the cubs IMO....and if i was a cubs fan I would like the deal.....while bradley was healthy he was arguably the best player in the AL last year...while its more money than i expected, its not a ridiculous deal...and even if it turns out to be a bad deal, the cubs are certianly a team that can absorb a bad contract for a year or two

Milton Bradley is Carl Everett except a little better hitter and fielder. He goes through teams like Ozzie goes through sunflower seeds, so its pretty obvious Hendry will be looking to dump the contract eventually with the new owner of the Cubs paying him a decent amount to play on another team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Milton Bradley is Carl Everett except a little better hitter and fielder.

I like that comparison.

Also, while he is a solid hitter, he isn't gonna sniff those numbers he had last year. I'm thinking if he does stay healthy and out of trouble for 130 games, the Cubs can expect something like a .265-275 average, 20 homers, 70 rbi's, and an OBP around .360-.370. Not bad at all, but his numbers will take a hit since he won't be playing half of his games at that ulta hitters friendly ballpark anymore.