Bradley signs with Cubs 3 yr/30M

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
I like that comparison.

Also, while he is a solid hitter, he isn't gonna sniff those numbers he had last year. I'm thinking if he does stay healthy and out of trouble for 130 games, the Cubs can expect something like a .265-275 average, 20 homers, 70 rbi's, and an OBP around .360-.370. Not bad at all, but his numbers will take a hit since he won't be playing half of his games at that ulta hitters friendly ballpark anymore.

Wrigley is a launching pad too.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
Wrigley is a launching pad too.

It is (at times), but no stadium compares to the ballpark in arlington. Also, considering he'll have to play the field everyday, I think that will effect his numbers as well.

The Cubs have to view this as a 1 year 30 million dollar deal.

What I mean is they have to know there's a 99% chance of this blowing up, but in a perfect world he's a great fit for what they need. We all know this isn't a perfect world, so they have to do EVERYTHING they can, let him cut as many corners as he wants, etc. to have him hold it together for this year.

If he can hold it together mentally and physically this could be the best FA signing of the offseason, but he can easily crash that bus early on.

HUGE risk.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
It is (at times), but no stadium compares to the ballpark in arlington. Also, considering he'll have to play the field everyday, I think that will effect his numbers as well.

You could argue that hitting regularly in parks like Minute Maid Park, great american ballpark, wrigley, Brewers Park, and New Busch stadium should more than equalize what he was getting out of Arlington. Especially considering that the other fields he saw in that division(AL West) were notorious pitcher friendly parks

But I dont believe there is any way that he plays regularly with all of his injury problems, rebuilt knees, etc. He really should be a DH/OF somewhere

Edited by kyyle23

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bradlmi01.shtml

wow, he's played over 140 games once, back in '04, 126 last year and 101 in '03. Also, the year he played the most his OPS+ was 108.

Since '02 (which I used because I'm not sure if his first few years he was up and down from the minors) he has averaged 100 games and 353 ABs a year.

But don't forget he has a cute name that Cubs fans can make shirts for

I love this move for the Cubs. For one the guy’s a professional hitter who with a decent run of health (as well, as the moderately potent bat of Micah Hoffpauir backing him up) could tear the NL Central to shreds. On the other front, it’s my understanding that Hendry thinks that the clubhouse has become to complacent (this part of the justification for is regrettable Derosa and Wood decisions) if this is the case, then a dynamic personality like Bradley’s is just what the doctor ordered. Bradley doesn’t give a damn about cures, he just wants to put up his numbers and get paid. I don't agree with the money and the years (two's my limit), but i can't argue with the Cubs for wanting Bradley

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
I like that comparison.

Also, while he is a solid hitter, he isn't gonna sniff those numbers he had last year. I'm thinking if he does stay healthy and out of trouble for 130 games, the Cubs can expect something like a .265-275 average, 20 homers, 70 rbi's, and an OBP around .360-.370. Not bad at all, but his numbers will take a hit since he won't be playing half of his games at that ulta hitters friendly ballpark anymore.

I think Wrigley is rather hitter friendly. The ball flies out of there and there is no foul territory. If he can hit .276 in Oakland, the worst park in the Majors to hit in, I think a .290 average with a .385 OBP would be more likely. Add to that about 20-25 homers and 85-90 RBI, and he's basically going to do what they wanted Fukudome to do.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
I think Wrigley is rather hitter friendly. The ball flies out of there and there is no foul territory. If he can hit .276 in Oakland, the worst park in the Majors to hit in, I think a .290 average with a .385 OBP would be more likely. Add to that about 20-25 homers and 85-90 RBI, and he's basically going to do what they wanted Fukudome to do.

Wrigley is the most weather-dependent stadium in baseball. Its a homerun haven in the summer, but its a pitcher's park in the cool spring months with the nor'easters blowing off the lake and in from the outfield.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bradlmi01.shtml

wow, he's played over 140 games once, back in '04, 126 last year and 101 in '03. Also, the year he played the most his OPS+ was 108.

Since '02 (which I used because I'm not sure if his first few years he was up and down from the minors) he has averaged 100 games and 353 ABs a year.

But don't forget he has a cute name that Cubs fans can make shirts for

And how many of those games has he played in the field? THATS where its going to hurt him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
If he couldn't handle the KC media without wanting to go up to the pressbox, Chicago is going to be a really fun place for him... I wonder if he will try and fight a reporter or teammate first. This signing almost makes me wish Jay Mariotti was still around.

AOL Fanhouse!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I mentioned this on facebook while Soxtalk was down, but the Cubs managed to give Sammy's old number 21 to Milton Bradley. The Cubs, as always, stay classy.

Didn't Sosa hit his 600th homer for the Rangers off Jason Marquis when Marquis was wearing #21 for the Cubs?