AAP: Tyler Flowers

Tyler has been selected to play in the MLB Futures game in St. Louis on July 12th. He and Dayan Viciedo are the two sox representatives in the game. Flowers will be on the United States team. It is great to see Tylers great season be recognized by what i consider the most important minor league all star game. If you want to watch Tyler and Dayan in action the game will be t 1pm Central on July 12th on ESPN2.

congrats tyler :cheers

(dayan cant drink yet)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had a chat with a good friend of Flowers today. Some of the highlights:

*Will 99% be a Sept. callup

* There's a strong chance that he'll be a backup in the bigs next year, with AJ seeing a dramatic reduction in playing time.

*The organization absolutely sees him as the catcher of the future and has no intention of moving him.

*Is a good clubhouse guy.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
Had a chat with a good friend of Flowers today. Some of the highlights:

*Will 99% be a Sept. callup

* There's a strong chance that he'll be a backup in the bigs next year, with AJ seeing a dramatic reduction in playing time.

*The organization absolutely sees him as the catcher of the future and has no intention of moving him.

*Is a good clubhouse guy.

That's why I think Thome has little chance of returning next year. AJ will DH half the time, and mentor Flowers. It's a smart move.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
That's why I think Thome has little chance of returning next year. AJ will DH half the time, and mentor Flowers. It's a smart move.

We're not using our backup catcher as a DH unless we're carrying 3 catchers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tyler had a great first year in the sox organization. After raking in double a for the first 2/3 of the season he called was called up to aaa where he started slowly but ended up with pretty good numbers.

.286/.364/.438/.803 with 2 hrs 10 doubles and 13 rbis in 31 games for the knight

that combined with his aa numbers totaled out to a 297 average, 903 ops and 28 doubles and 15 hrs with 56 rbis for the season

he was honored as a midseason and post season southern league all star.

he was voted the best defensive catcher in the league which is supposed to be his biggest area for improvement

he got called up in september and he hasnt been used much because i guess we're still in the race and they didnt want to throw him into the fire too soon. I dont think he will be back in the minors again so i may need a new aap.

Edited by joejoedairy

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Tyler struggled at the plate during spring training this year. He batted only .111 with no extra base hits in 18 at bats. He starts this season at triple a charlotte. Donny Lucy got called up to be the back up catcher for the sox while Ramon Castro is hurt but thats likely due to wanting tyler to get daily at bats.

he is hitting 400 with a 1171 ops through the first 4 games.

I think its only a matter of time before the sox have to find a way to get this guy on the big club especially with how poor the offense has looked early on.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

More at article if you click thorugh.

One month prior to Spring Training 2010, Flowers spoke about preparing himself to be the White Sox No. 1 catcher. That confidence came about even with Pierzynski firmly entrenched in a position he has handled so capably.

That confidence and the ensuing hard work certainly haven't disappeared in Flowers' current situation. But there's now an underlying, unspoken theme beneath Flowers' resigned tones of a man who understands his best chance to start might be with another organization.

"I guess I have no say in that," said Flowers, when asked if he wants to stay a part of the White Sox. "I have two options left, so I'm happy where I am.

"It's really a matter of opportunity at this point. I don't blame the White Sox one bit for doing what they did. A.J. took a good deal for the team, and he's been here for a number of years. Fans seem to like him a lot, not the opposing teams' fans, but Chicago does. It's a good business move on their part."

If Pierzynski had finished off a deal moving him to the Dodgers via free agency, the White Sox had a similar two-year pursuit lined up for Miguel Olivo. That interest in Olivo shouldn't show a lack of faith in Flowers. Remember, the White Sox were all-in, at this point, and Flowers was more an answer to the question "Who is the White Sox starting catcher if the team goes young?"

Good news and bad news exists for Flowers when surveying the White Sox catching landscape. With Pierzynski continuing to keep himself in great shape and at just 34, and with Josh Phegley and Michael Blanke moving quickly up the Minor League ranks behind him, the White Sox are as deep at this position as they have been in years.

A trade involving Flowers could eventually be a possibility because the White Sox have this insulation talent-wise. If that trade doesn't materialize, then Flowers has quite a challenge to hang on to a third-string-catcher status instead of Phegley and Blanke.

In order to return to form offensively, Flowers has changed his swing mechanics. In 2010, Flowers got in the habit of swinging his leg out in the swing stride so it took place in what looked like slow motion. The new swing has Flowers picking up that leg and putting it down, almost like a foot tap.

"Whenever you miss something simple like that, it causes all sorts of problems," Flowers said. "I went from a guy who hit all sorts of pitches to a guy who can only hit fastballs down the middle.

A trade involving Flowers could eventually be a possibility because the White Sox have this insulation talent-wise. If that trade doesn't materialize, then Flowers has quite a challenge to hang on to a third-string-catcher status instead of Phegley and Blanke.

This statement is quite absurd. First, Flowers would have to re-establish any value he had before teams would be interested in him as anything more than a throw-in. And to consider moving him for a player who has a rare medical disorder that could sideline him for a huge length of time or for a player who just played in rookie ball is even more ridiculous.

I would say the White Sox have talent at the catching position throughout the organization. I don't think you can say they have anything resembling depth when Blanke, Phegley, and quite frankly Gonzalez too (who could still be the best catching prospect in the organization...one rough year as a 19 year old in Kannapolis isn't going to make me think that much less of him) have yet to show anything close to consistent performance yet.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
This statement is quite absurd. First, Flowers would have to re-establish any value he had before teams would be interested in him as anything more than a throw-in. And to consider moving him for a player who has a rare medical disorder that could sideline him for a huge length of time or for a player who just played in rookie ball is even more ridiculous.

I would say the White Sox have talent at the catching position throughout the organization. I don't think you can say they have anything resembling depth when Blanke, Phegley, and quite frankly Gonzalez too (who could still be the best catching prospect in the organization...one rough year as a 19 year old in Kannapolis isn't going to make me think that much less of him) have yet to show anything close to consistent performance yet.

+1 to all this.

Merkin gonna Merkin.

I see no reason to trade Flowers in the near future. If he's productive this year, you have a solid 3rd string catcher at AAA for the time-being and a backup catcher/platoon option for 2012. He'll have decent trade value, but considering we'll need a long-term answer at catcher, his value will likely be greater to our team. If he sucks, he'll basically destroy any value he has at the moment and becomes organizational filler. Considering we probably can't get much for him right now anyways, might as well roll the dice on him having a bounce-back season. I still believe he can become a solid catcher in the future.