Some interesting Sox related notes...

caulfield12

Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady are drawing "significant interest." Rosenthal speculates that the Giants, Braves, or Pirates would make sense.

Perhaps because of the cool market for his services, Orlando Cabrera is willing to play second base. The Yankees did not have interest.

That Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts rumor "seemingly arose from internal discussions among Orioles officials."

from mlbtraderumors.com

It will be very interesting to see if Swisher is traded again and I'm sure the package will be significantly less than what KW got from the Yankees the first time around...especially if the numbers that Giambi will eventually get from the A's are accurate, not to mention the Burrell deal. Dunn, Griffey, Jr., Garret Anderson and a couple of other guys are still out on the market, too.

Anyone concerned that Cabrera hasn't found a taker yet? It would be ironic if his Type A compensation status ended up preventing another team from signing him...although Garland's Type B, so we wouldn't have gained anything by keeping him, either.

Not to mention Uribe, Crede, Griffey and Garland have yet to find homes, among others. And then there's Cabrera, of course. The Yankees don't even seem to want or need Swisher, so the only player we lost that anyone really "coveted" was Vazquez.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady are drawing "significant interest." Rosenthal speculates that the Giants, Braves, or Pirates would make sense.

Perhaps because of the cool market for his services, Orlando Cabrera is willing to play second base. The Yankees did not have interest.

That Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts rumor "seemingly arose from internal discussions among Orioles officials."

from mlbtraderumors.com

It will be very interesting to see if Swisher is traded again and I'm sure the package will be significantly less than what KW got from the Yankees the first time around...especially if the numbers that Giambi will eventually get from the A's are accurate, not to mention the Burrell deal. Dunn, Griffey, Jr., Garret Anderson and a couple of other guys are still out on the market, too.

Anyone concerned that Cabrera hasn't found a taker yet? It would be ironic if his Type A compensation status ended up preventing another team from signing him...although Garland's Type B, so we wouldn't have gained anything by keeping him, either.

Not to mention Uribe, Crede, Griffey and Garland have yet to find homes, among others. And then there's Cabrera, of course. The Yankees don't even seem to want or need Swisher, so the only player we lost that anyone really "coveted" was Vazquez.

Your first sentence says Swisher is drawing significant interest. Your last says the only player the White Sox traded that anyone wanted was Vazquez. It doesn't make much sense. Trading Swisher was a Exec of the Year move for KW. His contract, especially considering his performance is far from the bargain many thought it was less than a year ago. If any of the players acquired for him contribute to winning, its total gravy.

That is good news for the Sox that Cabrera is willing to play second. Maybe some team beyond the 15th pick will try and sign him for 2b. Doubtful though. Maybe the Sox should have some internal discussions about trading Brent Lillibridge for Albert Pujols, that way another crazy rumor would start. Seriously, there was no reason the Sox would trade a young pitcher making 400K who just won 17 games for a second baseman making $8 million when that position is our strongest.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Your first sentence says Swisher is drawing significant interest. Your last says the only player the White Sox traded that anyone wanted was Vazquez. It doesn't make much sense. Trading Swisher was a Exec of the Year move for KW. His contract, especially considering his performance is far from the bargain many thought it was less than a year ago. If any of the players acquired for him contribute to winning, its total gravy.

Not my first sentence. From mlbtraderumors.com.

I don't think that the interest is as much in Swisher as it is in Nady. I will be shocked if he is traded that the return comes close to what KW got, especially if Nunez or Marquez make a significant contribution this year. (I know we're counting on Marquez already, but Nunez is dark horse, like Santos (LHP) in the Vazquez deal).

The Mets have Castillo (for now), and the Yankees have Cano...so unless one of those guys is traded, I think the market will challenge the O-Dog a bit too now...Cabrera/Eckstein will be struggling to find offers one would think. The weird part is the money that Punto and Felipe Lopez got, or that Adam Everett found a taker. Even Renteria.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Not my first sentence. From mlbtraderumors.com.

I don't think that the interest is as much in Swisher as it is in Nady. I will be shocked if he is traded that the return comes close to what KW got, especially if Nunez or Marquez make a significant contribution this year. (I know we're counting on Marquez already, but Nunez is dark horse, like Santos (LHP) in the Vazquez deal).

The Mets have Castillo (for now), and the Yankees have Cano...so unless one of those guys is traded, I think the market will challenge the O-Dog a bit too now...Cabrera/Eckstein will be struggling to find offers one would think. The weird part is the money that Punto and Felipe Lopez got, or that Adam Everett found a taker. Even Renteria.

Isn't Marquez BA's #14 White Sox prospect currently? Its not like KW broke the bank ridding himself of Swisher, but he did well to get something and not have to eat any money. Giambi who had an OBP of .375 last year with 32 hr and 96 rbi, is getting a 1 year $5.25 million contract from Oakland.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Isn't Marquez BA's #14 White Sox prospect currently? Its not like KW broke the bank ridding himself of Swisher, but he did well to get something and not have to eat any money. Giambi who had an OBP of .375 last year with 32 hr and 96 rbi, is getting a 1 year $5.25 million contract from Oakland.

Giambi's limited in the field compared to Swisher, trimming his market considerably, but it's still a point well taken.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
That's a 44% pay cut for Pat Burrell and for Giambi, get this...

77.6% pay cut

$23,428,571 to $5.25 million

Talk about cost of living decrease/deflation.

It just goes to show you how the New York Yankees have completely destroyed the free agent market and driven costs and expectations of players and agents totally over the edge. The yankees should be banned from baseball in my opinion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/arc...1/06/14828.aspx

Column on what would have happened had Thome NOT reached 1100 plate appearances and had his option secured for 2009. Would the White Sox be better off without Thome and $9 million to spend in this market (roughly)?

eh, maybe, but I don't think anyone could have foreseen the market doing this in 2007, and the Sox needed Thome's bat in 2008. Hindsight is 20/20 and the Sox most definitely don't make the playoffs without Thome. Interesting to consider but virtually worthless to spend too much time on.