Who would you rather have?

whitesoxbrian

Q/D  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Morneau/Mauer
    • Dye/Quentin

So this dude I'm talking to says he'd take Quentin and Dye over Morneau and Mauer.

He says he'd take those 2 because Quentin isn't injury prone, he should have won MVP, and he's amazing, and he'd take Dye because he's "amazing".

LOL.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Morneau and Mauer and it isn't even close. Both are still young and overall far less injury prone (although Mauer has had his share of injury problems as well). That said if Quentin does what he did last year for a career he's the best of the bunch.

Exactly what I was gonna say when I saw this thread.

However, the best of both worlds would be Mauer and Quentin (if last year wasn't just an aberration).

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 03:11 AM)
to even think that is blasphemy :lolhitting

I know I might get burned at the stake for heresy, but I think Quentin will have a drop off next year. He is coming off a hand injury (it's his top hand too), and it's very tough for young players to repeat 2 great seasons in a row. I think he'll have a decent year, but not TCQ worthy. However, hopefully 2010 will be Quentin's breakout year where he can start to consistently put up great numbers year in and year out.

Same goes for Alexei, odds are he'll have a sophomore slump next season and we will see a dropoff in production. However, 2010 will hopefully be the year where he puts it all together as well.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Not with his knee problems already. Not saying it would be Uribe cash, but not Arod cash.

Eh, Teixera just got 200 in this market for his top 5 production at 1b, you don't think Mauer will exceed that by a large amount?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Eh, Teixera just got 200 in this market for his top 5 production at 1b, you don't think Mauer will exceed that by a large amount?

Depends on whether or not he's smart enough to sign with the Yankees after Posada is done at that spot or not.

I know I'm not the only one who took Quentin/Dye, but am I the only one willing to admit it?

I'm not really taking into account contract situations, but on a pure talent level, I've seen JD's peak and it's at least equivalent to Morneau's IMO. Quentin will likely be better than all of them. And while Mauer throws an interesting factor into the equation with his position, I just see OPS as being the most valuable stat.

Of course, I'd take him. That would be nice. Mmmm, OBP...

Quentin > Morneau

Dye ~ Morneau (Dye is the better hitter, but Morneau would get the edge based on age alone)

Mauer > Quentin

Mauer > Dye

So yeah, Mauer & Morneau if only because Mauer is one of the best players in baseball.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
No big deal if he was on a big market club, but the Twins gotta be looking at trading him sometime next year. Hopefully to the NL.

The fan base would flip if they traded Mauer. There is simply no way it happens. He's a local kid that literally everyone is in love with, and with a new stadium opening up in 2010, they'd be insane to trade their best player (and one of the best in the league). I mean, when they dealt Johan it was bad. If they dealt Mauer, it'd send a much, much worse message to the fan base.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
If Mauer can't be a catcher anymore, Quentin = Mauer.

I'm not too sure about that. Mauer is still young, so who knows what will happen for the rest of his career, but if he continues the way he's started his career (which seems likely with his swing, it's great), he'd rank right up there with Tony Gwynn. Of course, Gwynn is a legend and it's never really fair to compare a player as young as Mauer is to a player of Gwynn's caliber.

Edited by Felix