Update on the two recent Cuban defectors

maggsmaggs

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spcuba111...0,4065293.story

Same agent as Jose, Alexei and Dayan. Worth a shot I guess, shouldn't cost that much and we've had great success with Cubans before. Was too lazy to find the old thread. But they have made progress and should be on ML teams this year.

Torres said he will look to formalize the relationship between the two sometime next week. "I believe they're both big league-caliber players," he said. He added that their success on an international scale, during the WBC and the Olympics, was testament to their abilities. "They have the tools. If they can get everything in order, they can get to the big leagues this year."

Similar to the quotes about Dayan. Sox have to be the favorites with a competitive offer...

PS: There is a video interview with the two to the right side.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Marti would definitely be in the mix for the 4th/5th starter's spot. Even though he won't blow anyone away, he definitely would be the favorite I think if the White Sox were to sign him as of today.

As far as Gomez, don't think we'd have much interest in him at all...the other kid Torres had earlier, CF Fernando Perez (who worked out with Viciedo at his famous tryout in the DR) would be a much more interesting sign than Gomez, fwiw, because he's still only 20.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
Marti would definitely be in the mix for the 4th/5th starter's spot. Even though he won't blow anyone away, he definitely would be the favorite I think if the White Sox were to sign him as of today.

As far as Gomez, don't think we'd have much interest in him at all...the other kid Torres had earlier, CF Fernando Perez (who worked out with Viciedo at his famous tryout in the DR) would be a much more interesting sign than Gomez, fwiw, because he's still only 20.

In this case, it may be better that he's more seasoned with Jordan Danks being groomed for the spot.

I can't remember what Cubano said at one point about Gomez...basically he's getting to the point where his speed isn't as much a factor in the post-steroids/HGH era, he's something of a slap/contact hitter who won't give you a very high OBP (due to lack of walks) or much more than a .650-700 OPS.

Basically, we already have two of those players in Owens and Lillibridge already...who are younger, especially Lillibridge.

If they got talent/tools, what the hell, it can't hurt. And the better relationship we develop with Cuban defectors, the better, because it just helps us with future top Cuban prospects.

From the info I have found by just doing a quick google search, Yadel Marti was the ace on his team and considered one of the best pitchers in Cuba, if not the best. He is a right handed pitcher, and supposedly 29. Yasser Gomez is an OF who is fast and seems to be maybe a leadoff type. He bats lefty, and is supposedly 28.

If you do a google video search on them, you can find some very short clips of them, but they really don't show much.

After reading about them, I wouldn't mind if we signed them at all. Marti could possibly help out or rotation or bullpen, and Gomez can't be any worse then Owens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)

Lol, I wouldn't mind if we spent the majority of our foreign scouting money into Cuban defectors. They are better bets then players from other Latin America countries, IMO. The difference though is that a lot of the Cuban players doen't get away until they are already in 20's or older, usually.

Marti is supposed to be a lot like El Duque and less like Contreras.

Lots of off-speed stuff, changes of pace and different looks/arm angles...doesn't throw much harder than 87-89 MPH with his fastball, which is why most aren't counting him or the Braves' new Japanese starter as anything more than 4/5, back of the rotation, types.

But, like Freddy Garcia, he's noted as a "big game" pitcher and the type of guy you want out there on the mound in the most important games of the season...so the anti-Javy. Nothing like Javy's stuff, but cojones galore.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
Marti would be a really nice fit considering the Sox have a serious need in the back of the rotation.

Agreed...makes you wonder if Kenny has been talking to Torres about him the last several weeks, and thus his seeming non-plan in terms of bringing in any other veteran arms. I found his denial of interest in Garland particularly odd...

Felix Perez not Fernando Perez.

Marti is not the best Cuban pitcher. He can top 90 MPH, but he is a control pitcher.

Smell new ChiSox! Cuban players are cheap. I dislike this fact. Several factors involved. The ChiSox have done more for Cubans than the Florida Marlins. What a shame! I can not stand those guys down there.

I doubt their papers will be ready b4 Spring Training. I doubt their papers will be ready b4 the season starts unless some money is handed behind the scenes. Marti should be Plan B getting into form in the minors if somebody does not do the job or gets injured.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
I doubt their papers will be ready b4 Spring Training. I doubt their papers will be ready b4 the season starts unless some money is handed behind the scenes. Marti should be Plan B getting into form in the minors if somebody does not do the job or gets injured.

The Department of Homeland Security and Department of State don't work like that, UNFORTUNATELY.

My wife is from Russia (we're separated) and she's still in the US waiting for her Adjustment of Status to be decided upon and it has been over 5 years since she came to the United States and 5 1/2 years since we got married.

Nothing happens quickly with the US Government doing background/name checks at Dept. of State since 9/11.

Granted, this is a different type of visa (than a spouse visa), but it's still not going to be moved along by bribery.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
The Department of Homeland Security and Department of State don't work like that, UNFORTUNATELY.

My wife is from Russia (we're separated) and she's still in the US waiting for her Adjustment of Status to be decided upon and it has been over 5 years since she came to the United States and 5 1/2 years since we got married.

Nothing happens quickly with the US Government doing background/name checks at Dept. of State since 9/11.

Granted, this is a different type of visa (than a spouse visa), but it's still not going to be moved along by bribery.

I was referring to the Dominican government for their papers not the USA.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
So Cubano, how many young Cubans are there right now who might defect within the next couple of years and be top prospects to MLB clubs?

Baseball like any other sport is cyclical. I see now a lot of upcoming good prospects in Cuba. Pitchers and position players are coming through the pipeline. SS and 3B are the weakest positions now. Hey, we got three SS in MLB now (Yunel Escobar (Braves), Yuniesky Betancourt (Mariners) and Lexi. SS Jose Iglesias defected form the junior team in Canada though he played 2B because Waspsp SS prospect was the regular. We have two other SS prospect in the minors.

If you go to my blog, you see my work on pitchers under 25. I am preparing one for the position players.

http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com/2009/...5-year-old.html

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 06:02 AM)
Baseball like any other sport is cyclical. I see now a lot of upcoming good prospects in Cuba. Pitchers and position players are coming through the pipeline. SS and 3B are the weakest positions now. Hey, we got three SS in MLB now (Yunel Escobar (Braves), Yuniesky Betancourt (Mariners) and Lexi. SS Jose Iglesias defected form the junior team in Canada though he played 2B because Waspsp SS prospect was the regular. We have two other SS prospect in the minors.

If you go to my blog, you see my work on pitchers under 25. I am preparing one for the position players.

http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com/2009/...5-year-old.html

Cubano, you are the man!

I think you mean DEFECTS, lol.

Although both Marti and Perez ALSO signing with the White Sox at this point in the offseason would certainly DEFLECT a little attention from KW's impending season of "truth or dare" with the fans.

The thing with Perez is he's very raw and "toolsy," which could mean Julio Ramirez or a solid big leaguer, hard to tell at this point. But I don't think very many scouts would project him as making an immediate contribution to the White Sox. A better comparison would be with Jordan Danks...in terms of timetable, and upside. It's hard to compare the two at this point, and Danks certainly projects to have more power. I just think that Torres was asking for too much, or maybe teams were scared off by investing $2-3 million in a player, developing him (like the Sox MIGHT do with Viciedo), then see his prime production years take place with another team. Just a theory. Cubano said that it was also likely a visa/immigration issue...could be a combination of both. But we do know that Perez didn't sign at the time of the Viciedo tryout camp when supposedly 5-10 teams were pretty interested in him.

Edited by caulfield12

I am a lot more interested in watching Cuba in the World Baseball Classic. Last time I was most interested in Japan after Iguchi and Shingo. Too bad Ramirez and Viciedo are not welcome to play for Cuba because of politics. I don't like the injury risk to players, but I am looking forward to some baseball.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
I am a lot more interested in watching Cuba in the World Baseball Classic. Last time I was most interested in Japan after Iguchi and Shingo. Too bad Ramirez and Viciedo are not welcome to play for Cuba because of politics. I don't like the injury risk to players, but I am looking forward to some baseball.

Injuries can happen in any game. WBC, Spring Training, etc.