Pilot fakes distress signal, crashes plane

Kyyle23

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/12/florida.p...rash/index.html

The pilot who signaled air traffic controllers that his windshield had imploded and that he was bleeding before his plane crashed faked the call and later checked into a hotel using a false name Monday, authorities said.

The plane crash happened at least 223 miles away from where the pilot checked into a hotel under a false name.

Authorities identified the pilot as Marcus Schrenker, 38, from Indiana. Police say they are looking for him.

"All indications now are that he made some type of false emergency call [and] abandoned the plane by parachute," said Sgt. Scott Haines of the Santa Rosa County, Florida, Sheriff's Office.

Haines said the pilot checked into a hotel in the Harpersville, Alabama, area under a false name.

Harpersville is 30 minutes east of Birmingham, Alabama, and about 223 miles north of Milton, Florida, near where the wrecked plane was found. iReport.com: Are you near the crash scene? Tell us what you've seen

Haines did not know the whereabouts of the pilot.

"I do not believe they have him in custody," he said, and police are looking for Schrenker.

Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office got a call at 2:26 a.m. from the Childersburg Police Department in Alabama saying that a white male, identified as Schrenker by his Indiana driver's license, approached a Childersburg officer at a store.

Schrenker, who was wet from the knees down and had no injuries, told the officer that he had been in a canoeing accident with friends, the Santa Rosa Sheriff's Office said in a news release. Schrenker had goggles that looked like they were made for "flying," according to the release.

The Childersburg police didn't know about the plane crash, so they took Schrenker to a nearby hotel, authorities said. When police found out about the crash, they went back to the hotel and entered Schrenker's room. He was not there, they said.

According to Santa Rosa authorities, Schrenker had checked in under a fake name, paid for his room in cash and "put on a black toboggan cap and ran into the woods located next to the hotel."

Im guessing this story is going to get stranger as it comes out

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/12/florida.p...rash/index.html

Im guessing this story is going to get stranger as it comes out

As I recall, a hijacker did this once in the US. Hijacked a cargo jet or something, got some money somehow (at a stop maybe), and then later parachuted out of the plane. And wasn't ever found.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
As I recall, a hijacker did this once in the US. Hijacked a cargo jet or something, got some money somehow (at a stop maybe), and then later parachuted out of the plane. And wasn't ever found.

DB Cooper. They dont think he survived due to the altitude he jumped from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

this was added into the link I posted above

Public documents list (Marcus)Schrenker as president of an Indianapolis agency called Heritage Wealth Management. Records also show Heritage Insurance Services at the same address. The address is listed in the telephone directory as the site of Icon Wealth Management.

Those three companies are under investigation for possible securities violations, according to Jim Gavin with the Indiana secretary of state's office. A search warrant was served in connection with that investigation December 31.

CNN's attempts to reach a representative for Schrenker were unsuccessful. The phone number for his business was disconnected, and public records do not list his current home phone number.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Some of the money that Cooper received turned up in circulation. Great mystery.

This situation is kind of the opposite. This guy stole money for his company and squandered it(so it seems), so im not thinking much of that money will turn up in circulation

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
This situation is kind of the opposite. This guy stole money for his company and squandered it(so it seems), so im not thinking much of that money will turn up in circulation

I'm just saying the assumption is Cooper died in the jump, but someone seems to have found the money, the made a mistake in recording the numbers, or he survived

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm just saying the assumption is Cooper died in the jump, but someone seems to have found the money, the made a mistake in recording the numbers, or he survived

Oh I know what you are saying, DB Cooper is definitely fascinating. The wierd thing about it is the FBI has kept it really close to vest, they consider the matter closed and there are so many loose ends

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Schrenker tried to kill himself too. What an honorable way to handle the mess he created

I don't think he really tried to kill himself. The news article on CNN stated that he "did not suffer life-threatening injuries". Plus, interesting he did that just as the FBI was closing in on his tent. I think this was a fake attempt, which is no surprise from an apparently very fake man.

I think the "attempted suicide" is really him thinking he can be deemed unbalanced and stay out of prison after his plot to disappear went awry. If someone actually wants to kill themselves, there are ways of doing that which would have been far easier than all this nonsense. Not opening the parachute when he jumped from the plane would have been a possibility.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
I don't think he really tried to kill himself. The news article on CNN stated that he "did not suffer life-threatening injuries". Plus, interesting he did that just as the FBI was closing in on his tent. I think this was a fake attempt, which is no surprise from an apparently very fake man.

They said he suffered deep cuts on his wrists. Fake or not, he cut himself pretty good apparently

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
I think the "attempted suicide" is really him thinking he can be deemed unbalanced and stay out of prison after his plot to disappear went awry. If someone actually wants to kill themselves, there are ways of doing that which would have been far easier than all this nonsense. Not opening the parachute when he jumped from the plane would have been a possibility.

Well, I think he planned on getting away with it. Last night on 20/20 they were saying that they think he planned on having the plane crash into the gulf(the plane ran out of fuel, which is why it crashed in Destin), where his "body" would never be found and he would slip away into the night. But the plan went bad from the get go when a cop found him right after he landed.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:14 AM)
So apparently his wife also filed for divorce the day before the flight because he was sleeping around.

Meanwhile, his wife is very attractive...at least in the picture on the Today show.

And his stepfather whom he was close to had just died as well.

Sounds like the whole world had just fallen apart on him in a short span. . . not that he didn't bring the bulk of it on himself.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:17 AM)
And his stepfather whom he was close to had just died as well.

Sounds like the whole world had just fallen apart on him in a short span. . . not that he didn't bring the bulk of it on himself.

The only thing that makes me feel bad for him is the loss of his stepfather. His wife left him because he was having problems staying faithful(when his house was raided, he was in Florida with his girlfriend apparently), and his business problems were all on him as well