David Cook interview!

southsider2k5

Soxtalk was lucky again, this time to arrange an interview with Charlotte Knights outfielder David Cook, all of the way from his time in Central America where he is playing winter baseball in preparation for the 2009 season. We thank David, and wish him the best of luck in the upcoming season!

David, despite Charlotte's reputation as a hitter's park, your numbers were significantly better in AA this year than they were in AAA after you were moved up. How did you feel you performed against AAA pitching? Do you think you can take the next step in 2009?

I believe playing in a grave yard of a park in AA helped me out alot. If you try to lift the ball you will probably hit .200. I learned to focus on squaring the ball up and hitting line drives. Therefore I ended hitting homreuns there and had a good average. In triple A the pitching is a little different, but I think I got myself out most of the time. I started thinking a little too much and playing in a small park had me thinking too much about homeruns. I think this year it is important to relax and play my game. Playing winterball helped me with some of my weaknesses so I am going to work hard over the next month and hopefully become more of a complete hitter.

It's been my impression that people downplay the performance of people in the upper levels of the minors because of their age if they reach those levels a year or two older than some of their peers. Have you felt a level of skepticism directed towards you because you're older than some of the guys around you?[/]

I definitely think if I had been doin what I have done the last 2 years at the age of 24-25 there would have been more of a fuss about it. I know that everyone clicks at different ages. I was kind of a late bloomer per se. I still think the white sox see that I can play and can contribute at the big level.

How's your defense? What positions do you think you're capable of playing, if, for example, the major league club needed you next year?

I believe my defense is pretty good, I got drafted as a centerfielder, played left my first 4 years of pro ball and have played right the last two. So I believe I can play all three effectively.

What do you believe is your best baseball skill?

I think my best baseball skill is the ability to drive the ball.

In what area do you feel you need the most work?

The area I need the most work in is consistency. If can become more consistent at the plate I think my numbers would be very good. i think some of the inconsistency comes from some mechanical things that i am working on now.

What positions do you see yourself as being best at playing?

I think my best position is right field, although I play the other two well.

What is the story about your winter ball experience, we saw you were switching teams?

My first winterball experience was interesting. i liked the Dominican but I felt like I didn't really get a chance to show What I could do. They stopped playing me after 13 at bats. I really enjoyed Venezuela, the team took me in and the fans are awesome. They really love their baseball. If I get the opportunity to go back next year I am strongly considering it

If you weren't playing baseball, what would you be doing for a living?

If I weren't playing baseball I have no idea what I would be doing. Maybe playing football. Something in athletics for sure.

What have been your favorite and least favorite stadiums to play in?

My favorite stadium to play in thus far would be Pawtucket. My least favorite is probably Savannah in the South Atlantic League.

Among players you have been on teams with, who is the biggest prankster, and/or the funniest guy?

The funniest guy I have played with is probably Bo Ivory. We played together in 2003. He is no longer playing ball.

Do you see yourself as an outfielder in Chicago within the next 2 or three years?

Hopefully I'll be an outfielder with Chicago next year but that is out of my control. They have some good outfielders now so it may be hard to break in with the Sox. I grew up a whitesox fan and was drafted by them so that would really be a dream come true, but I just want a opportunity to play at the big league level.

Have you had the chance to meet any of the big league guys yet? What was that experience like?

I've had a chance to meet some of the guys from playing in spring training games. the experience has been great. They are all good guys.