Angels want dye per-cowley

chisox2334

Life “under, under the radar," is the way White Sox general manager Ken Williams is now choosing to conduct business this off-season.

That means rumors are mere whispers from dark corners, while actual news that is uncovered is met with a standard “no comment’’ from the offices on 35th and Shields.

Chone Figgins slides into third base on a triple as White Sox third baseman Joe Crede waits for the throw.

But the one name that has been popping up time and time again over the last few seasons is once again being heard the last two weeks. That means you Chone Figgins.

According to a major-league scout, the Angels are the latest team to express interest in acquiring Jermaine Dye now that the Mark Teixeira ship has set sail to New York. Unlike the talks with the Reds that stalled during the Winter Meetings, the Sox and Angels actually have a fit.

The South Siders covet speed – with Williams telling the Sun-Times back in June that Figgins was “interesting.’’ The Angels want a power bat to offer some protection for Vladimir Guerrero and Torii Hunter.

The one problem is Los Angeles has a surplus of outfielders in Hunter, Guerrero, Gary Matthews and Juan Rivera, but could convert someone to first base, as well as platoon Guerrero and Matthews in the designated hitter spot.

What Dye would bring them is 137 home runs and 378 RBI since 2005 – the most from any American League outfielder in that span.

Figgins, who can play third, second and the outfield would give Williams a legitimate lead-off hitter, averaging just over 47 stolen bases a year since ’05. Because of his versatility he could fill a hole at second or move into the outfield, also allowing Carlos Quentin to move to his more natural outfield position in right field.

According to the source, the Angels are not thrilled with what’s left on the free agent outfield market and do not want to be pawns in the on-going Manny Ramirez game. Dye and Hunter are good friends and the Angels are not one of the teams listed on Dye’s no-trade list.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vlad isn't gonna DH more then 20-30 times a season as he despises being a DH and has said how much he hates it.

If they traded for Dye, they'd most likely plan on moving him to either 1B or LF, and really, those are the only two positions he should be at right now in his career (besides DH). If they got Dye, they'd probably do something like:

1B: Dye

LF: Matthews

CF: Hunter

RF: Vlad

DH: Rivera

They could also work in Morales at 1B/DH, and Willits in the OF.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
I'd do Figgins + a pitcher for Dye, he obviously doesn't have a ton of value, and Figgins would fill more of a team need than Dye.

The problem is that they're not going to give us Saunders, Santana or Weaver AND Figgins for Dye. They're not even going to give us Adenhart and Figgins for Dye.

Why would they do so, if they could go out and sign Bob Abreu for 2 years and $20 million? They would solve their problems for two years instead of one (unlike with Dye, who could walk after 2009, as Garland has done), and they wouldn't have to give up two key members of their depth chart.

How does Figgins fill more of a team need than Dye? Playing at USCF, speed is less important than power. Yes, we need a leadoff man, but not at the cost of Dye...and the thing everyone's forgetting about is, yeah, he's versatile. But he's not GOOD versatile, his defense is borderline atrocious no matter where you put him. The only place the White Sox SHOULD play him would be CF, but that's iffy at best.

Imagine Figgins at 3B, Ramirez at SS and Getz/Lillibridge at 2B. That's a pretty scary infield, although Getz/Lillibridge should be okay at 2B, and we don't know exactly what will happen with Alexei over a full season, just assumptions. If Beckham's a 3B, then Figgins has to displace Getz/Lillibridge or play CF. However, do you really want Figgins/Ramirez as your DP combination?

Then there's the whole issue of age, injuries and declining base stealing ability. Figgins has never been a power hitter, or close to it, so having Figgins in the line-up forces you to get even more production from other positions. Who's going to make up for that lack of power in the middle of the line-up?

The other main concern is that players like Fields, Owens and Anderson aren't worth much at all to other organizations...there's a good chance that one of those three could turn out to be a player, and they alone might be enough to get a player like Figgins (particularly Fields) somewhere down the line...or Getz/Lillibridge, for example. But they won't establish that value in trade unless KW gives them a chance to prove what they can do at the major league level first.

If they could get a legit 4-5 starter (with the payroll decrease and/or trade) and have Figgins, it would make a lot more sense. But nothing has shown that KW is willing to spend money even on a Braden Looper at this point. It's not like any of us are holding out hope for Sheets, Pettitte, Garland, Perez, Wolf, Lowe, etc.

"Why would they do so, if they could go out and sign Bob Abreu for 2 years and $20 million?"

According to Walt Jocketty, Abreu is still asking for something like 4/48.

Also, Dye hit 36 HR last year, 24 of which were solo shots. His RBI totals for his HR totals are mediocre at best, and he's below average w/ RISP. He plays average at best defense in right, and we already have three 30 HR guys in Thome, Quentin & Konerko, Alexei and Fields are both guys who could get right up around 30 as well, so we're covered in the power department.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I'd feel a bit better about having Chone Figgins lead off than Jerry Owens. Playing Figgins in LF would allow us to have Brian Anderson in CF, I'd feel a lot better about fly balls going towards Figgins - Anderson - Quentin than Quentin - Owens - Dye.

Edited by Jimmywins1

At this point I'd say screw Figgins. If the Angels would take on Dye's entire salary then I'd rather ask for Reggie Willits and prospects, then spread the money around given all the bargains that are starting to pop up. With that $11 mil saved we could add some pitching and Willits could be the lead off guy. If we were interested, that $11M might be able to get us Ben Sheets, or maybe Garland at $8M + Wolf, Pedro, Freddy, or some other guaranteed 5th starter or reclamation project with upside for about $3M.

Edit: Besides, since we're going young I want to see Josh Fields play. I don't care what people think about his defense either. He's young, he's cheap, and he hits home runs. As it looks now I'm not at all optimistic about our chances next year, so adding Figgins to me would seem like a luxury we cannot afford. I'd rather see if Josh can mash about 30+ longballs and become a future fixture somewhere, or at least highly valuable trade bait.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
At this point I'd say screw Figgins. If the Angels would take on Dye's entire salary then I'd rather ask for Reggie Willits and prospects, then spread the money around given all the bargains that are starting to pop up. With that $11 mil saved we could add some pitching and Willits could be the lead off guy. If we were interested, that $11M might be able to get us Ben Sheets, or maybe Garland at $8M + Wolf, Pedro, Freddy, or some other guaranteed 5th starter or reclamation project with upside for about $3M.

I like that idea.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)

Ah yes, Willits name brought up again. I'd rather have Jerry Owens than Willits...and that's saying a lot.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Ah yes, Willits name brought up again. I'd rather have Jerry Owens than Willits...and that's saying a lot.

Willits is so much better of a ball player then Owens, it really isn't close. Willits actually knows what he's doing on a baseball field, and plays really good D.

Owens is actually one of the worst baseball players I have seen in the past couple of years, right up there with Andy Gonzalez.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
Willits is so much better of a ball player then Owens, it really isn't close. Willits actually knows what he's doing on a baseball field, and plays really good D.

Owens is actually one of the worst baseball players I have seen in the past couple of years, right up there with Andy Gonzalez.

If it costs us Dye, then just keep what we already have.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)

How could you ever confuse two players? For some reason Jerry Owens always gets compared to players that are much better than him. The only speedy CFers in baseball that I can think of off the top of my head who are worse than Jerry Owens are Corey Patterson and Joey Gathright.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
How could you ever confuse two players? For some reason Jerry Owens always gets compared to players that are much better than him. The only speedy CFers in baseball that I can think of off the top of my head who are worse than Jerry Owens are Corey Patterson and Joey Gathright.

Gathright's a much better player than Owens. Willits isn't young, and with the pitching staff we have this coming season, we're going to need to score as many runs as possible. I don't think it matters though, as the Angels never trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
If it costs us Dye, then just keep what we already have.

At this point, $11M redistributed may have a much more positive impact on our record in '09 than JD would have with this team as currently constructed. Our rotation is a black hole 4-5 and there's virtually no minor league depth outside of rushing Poreda. I completely buy Kenny's comments about being over budget: look at the offseason so far, and there are very good players out there who look to be hoping to get a yearly salary that is HALF of what they expected this time last year. Ben Sheets, Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu, Jon Garland, Derek Lowe, Oliver Perez... these guys shouldn't be looking for work almost halfway through January.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 02:23 AM)
At this point, $11M redistributed may have a much more positive impact on our record in '09 than JD would have with this team as currently constructed. Our rotation is a black hole 4-5 and there's virtually no minor league depth outside of rushing Poreda. I completely buy Kenny's comments about being over budget: look at the offseason so far, and there are very good players out there who look to be hoping to get a yearly salary that is HALF of what they expected this time last year. Ben Sheets, Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreu, Jon Garland, Derek Lowe, Oliver Perez... these guys shouldn't be looking for work almost halfway through January.

If you save that money, you're more likely looking at guys like Odalis Perez. The Sox won't sign Sheets, Lowe, or Perez, and Dunn makes no sense for the Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
Gathright's a much better player than Owens. Willits isn't young, and with the pitching staff we have this coming season, we're going to need to score as many runs as possible. I don't think it matters though, as the Angels never trade.

Willits can draw a walk.

Gathright can't hit the ball out of the infield. Owens has more power than Gathright does, which goes to show how little power Gathright has. Other than that, they're basically the same player. Neither are CF's either.