Angels want dye per-cowley

chisox2334

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
If you save that money, you're more likely looking at guys like Odalis Perez. The Sox won't sign Sheets, Lowe, or Perez, and Dunn makes no sense for the Sox.

When did I say the Sox would sign those guys? I said there are a lot of good players out there looking for work who may be lucky to get half the yearly salary they thought they'd be getting this time last year.

And Odalis Perez? Why in the hell would the Sox sign him if they had $11M to spend? They'd probably be able to get him as non-roster invite to ST if they had any interest at all, or at worst maybe a MLB contract for about $700K.

I wouldn't put Wolf in that group with the likes of Pedro and Freddy Garcia.

Wolf will probably end up in the $6-9 million range coming off the way he pitched in the second half last year. No thanks at that price, at least from the White Sox perspective.

If Lowe goes to the Braves, that basically forces Oliver Perez (not too many teams are interested in giving him $10 million+) back to the Mets. That basically leaves Garland, Wolf and Pettitte, along with Sheets, as the closest things to "sure bets" of what's left out there on the market pitching-wise.

By the way, jimmywins, an outfield of Figgins and Anderson doesn't thrill me very much. Although stranger things have happened, it wouldn't be one of the most likely combinations I would envisage at this point in the offseason, will all the bargains still out there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
If you save that money, you're more likely looking at guys like Odalis Perez. The Sox won't sign Sheets, Lowe, or Perez, and Dunn makes no sense for the Sox.

I saw a discussion thread somewhere that was pretty convincing...that actually was arguing that Odalis Perez was better last season than Oliver Perez.

Yet Oliver Perez will get $8-10 million from the Mets and Odalis MIGHT sign a Redding-like deal somewhere before ST.

If the sox traded Dye for Figgins, it wouldn't be a straight swap. At minimum, it would be Dye for Figgins + 2 draft picks, as he'd be offered arb. with a reasonable 2009 salary increase from his $4.75 mill he made in 2008. Re-signing Figgins wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either.

You also factor in what the sox could do with the salary savings, such as Signing the Cuban SP Yadel Marti. Does Marti + Figgins = Dye?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
This. Willits is garbage. WHy are people so infactuated with him?

Willits isn't garbage, and I don't know why you'd say that. He'll be 28 next year, which is the same age as Owens, two years older than Fields, and either way, it doesn't matter. In 583 career MLB AB's he has a .273 AVG with a .379 OBP and in 1647 career minor league AB's he has a .304 AVG with a .398 OBP. That is much, much better than Jerry Owens.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
What Dye would bring them is 137 home runs and 378 RBI since 2005 –

the most from any American League outfielder in that span.

What part of that statement is everybody assuming it would be straight up for Figgins missing?!?!?

Jesus.... I'd hope it would include either Weaver or Santana in some sort of combo

willits has a .380 career obp in the majors and .400 obp in the minors....no he doesn't hit for power...but frankly if we put him on base in front of our boppers thats not bad...jerry owens is horrible and IMO is significantly worse than Willits....figgins would be ok also, but if we are getting rid of dye we better be getting a pretty decent pitcher along with (or a mid level prospect and quite a bit of salary relief)

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
Wouldn't any team trading for dye have to consider it as dye and two picks considering dye's impending type A status at the end of the year?

don't want to derail this thread, so if somebody could answer this in one post

how many of our current players will be type-a free agents, assuming we don't resign any of them before their contracts end, and who would those players be?

Every time one of these threads pop up, you are all screwed in the head. Nobody is good enough for us, and our guys are never good enough for the other team. We need a leadoff hitter. but unless he is 24, signed for 5 years at $1 million per, hits .320 with and obp over .400 and 50 steals, he sucks and isnt good enough for us. Oh my god, if he isn't a 8 tiem gold glove winner, his D stinks! Well wake up, these guys dont exist, and if they did they would cost half the damn team to get! So Dye had the most HR and RBI since 2005. What did that get us? Nothing. Both Willits and Figgins are better than sticking Owens out there. Not going to dismiss either of them out of hand, depends what we get back in return to go with them. But wake up people, there isnt any Rickey Henderson in-his-prime out there.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)
Wouldn't any team trading for dye have to consider it as dye and two picks considering dye's impending type A status at the end of the year?

2010 there is a mutual option for $12 mill. The two picks would come in 2011 if at all. JD might not be worth the $13 mill or so he'd prob. get in arb. in 2011.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 03:44 AM)
Every time one of these threads pop up, you are all screwed in the head. Nobody is good enough for us, and our guys are never good enough for the other team. We need a leadoff hitter. but unless he is 24, signed for 5 years at $1 million per, hits .320 with and obp over .400 and 50 steals, he sucks and isnt good enough for us. Oh my god, if he isn't a 8 tiem gold glove winner, his D stinks! Well wake up, these guys dont exist, and if they did they would cost half the damn team to get! So Dye had the most HR and RBI since 2005. What did that get us? Nothing. Both Willits and Figgins are better than sticking Owens out there. Not going to dismiss either of them out of hand, depends what we get back in return to go with them. But wake up people, there isnt any Rickey Henderson in-his-prime out there.

Are we really arguing about Dye's impact on the team over the last 3-4 years? Maybe some of us don't think one of the best offensive outfield players in the majors should be traded for utility outfielders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Are we really arguing about Dye's impact on the team over the last 3-4 years? Maybe some of us don't think one of the best offensive outfield players in the majors should be traded for utility outfielders.

So his skills are NOT diminishing with age, like everyone else ever mentioned as coming to the Sox?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 03:52 AM)
So his skills are NOT diminishing with age, like everyone else ever mentioned as coming to the Sox?

No, we mention age for guys like Willits because if you're receiving a significantly lesser talent in return, they better at least be young enough to have a high ceiling.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
No, we mention age for guys like Willits because if you're receiving a significantly lesser talent in return, they better at least be young enough to have a high ceiling.

You mean like the 22-year old "bust" that is Homer Bailey? Alpha's got a point. Everybody b****es and moans yet can't come up with anything better. Everybody hates Jerry Owens. Fine. Chone Figgins? Nope. Not good enough. Willy Taveras when he was available? Nope. He can't hit HRs. He sucks. Bobby Abreu? Nope. His defense sucks. Not good enough. When will people realize that Grady Sizemore types ARE NOT AVAILABLE?! Either be content with Jerry Owens or find another damn team to root for.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 05:48 AM)
You mean like the 22-year old "bust" that is Homer Bailey? Alpha's got a point. Everybody b****es and moans yet can't come up with anything better. Everybody hates Jerry Owens. Fine. Chone Figgins? Nope. Not good enough. Willy Taveras when he was available? Nope. He can't hit HRs. He sucks. Bobby Abreu? Nope. His defense sucks. Not good enough. When will people realize that Grady Sizemore types ARE NOT AVAILABLE?! Either be content with Jerry Owens or find another damn team to root for.

:notworthy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 01:56 AM)
I will miss Dye if we trade him. What a stud.

If we trade him for Figgins ... my god.

same, i think we all would greatly miss JD

he's my favorite player on our team (i know that 'favorite players' are a bit juvenile, but whatever)