Angels want dye per-cowley

chisox2334

Let's see, we had Garland for Erstad (thankfully squashed by Walt Disney, Co.) and then Garland for Cabrera....what other deals have taken place between KW and the Angels?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_ana

Reasons why any team would think THRICE before trying to trade for Dye or Michael Young.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 03:46 AM)
I think any team that trades for Dye is looking at him as a 1B/DH type, who could play LF.

Again we see the value of Jermaine Dye undervalued. Dye is a very good defensive RF'er with a strong throwing arm. If we would ever trade him, and I hope we don't, we open up a hole in our team and someone fills their need with a very valuable addition.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Again we see the value of Jermaine Dye undervalued. Dye is a very good defensive RF'er with a strong throwing arm. If we would ever trade him, and I hope we don't, we open up a hole in our team and someone fills their need with a very valuable addition.

No he's not. His range has become very limited. Let's not overvalue Jermaine. He's a great hitter, but leaves plenty to be desired defensively.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Which obvious BS rumor thread has been the longest this offseason. Gawd were gonna suck next year.

First rule of rumor posting: Dont quote Cowley.

Second rule of rumor posting: They are all not true

The Sox have been pursuing players quietly, and the reason it remains quiet is because they are players that nobody gives two s***s about.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
The Sox have been pursuing players quietly, and the reason it remains quiet is because they are players that nobody gives two s***s about.

You sound like you're outraged by that. I think that's how most teams seem to build title contenders lately.

If that means the likes of Saito, Smoltz (not so quiet), Kotsay, Baldelli and Penny...not such a bad plan, IF you have the ability to absorb $15-20 million in "losses" spread out over 5-7 players.

Let's hope the White Sox find someone between Mark Prior, Chris Burke and the Red Sox group....apparently, the Red Sox are looking to sign a couple of more "low price/high reward" veterans in the next 6 weeks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
You sound like you're outraged by that. I think that's how most teams seem to build title contenders lately.

The problem is most people use the Yankees version of building a team. Get all the best plyers and you'll have the best team. This doesn't always work. With the Yankees that extra 80 million dollars per year of media money helps them. Most teams need to get the parts to fit together.

Case in point a player like Podsednik. No one will say he was a great player but in a given game he stole a base advanced on a bunt and scored on a sac fly and we won 1-0. Now would I rather have Johnny Damon, Grady Sizemore or Brian Roberts? YES. But that just isn't an option with those players weither not available or not available unless you were bent over barstool.

Picking up good players who fit their roles is the way the Sox will win.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)

And by developing cheap guys to fill available holes. That's how we won in 2005. We had a few cheap development guys coming up (Jenks, McCarthy, Crede, Rowand to some extent), and we found a group of other guys who weren't huge names but who were undervalued in the current market for various reasons (AJ - attitude, Iguchi - blow up in NY of Matsui at the same position, Dye - Injuries, Contreras - struggles in NY).

Part of the reason why we were able to rebuild this thing so fast is that KW pulled off a couple of similarly shrewd moves last year, finding value where other people didn't think there was any. He stole Q for a minor leaguer because Q was injured the year before. He grabbed Alexei from a market that was undervalued. He picked up Danks and Floyd on the cheap for various reasons and gave them time to develop.

Occasionally those moves blow up, especially if they're obviously wrong (example 2007 and Erstad). But we keep having success with that method.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
The problem is most people use the Yankees version of building a team. Get all the best plyers and you'll have the best team. This doesn't always work. With the Yankees that extra 80 million dollars per year of media money helps them. Most teams need to get the parts to fit together.

Case in point a player like Podsednik. No one will say he was a great player but in a given game he stole a base advanced on a bunt and scored on a sac fly and we won 1-0. Now would I rather have Johnny Damon, Grady Sizemore or Brian Roberts? YES. But that just isn't an option with those players weither not available or not available unless you were bent over barstool.

I agree with that observation. Pods is a great example and in 2005 he filled the role we needed and filled it very well. I would love to see the big splash made in signing a free agent, but in reality one player most likely isn't going to make a winner out of a team. You need 25 players all working together and filling their roles. If we sign or trade for anyone they must fill the need and not just be the big name.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
No he's not. His range has become very limited. Let's not overvalue Jermaine. He's a great hitter, but leaves plenty to be desired defensively.

I respectfully disagree and my analysis of J Dye has been backed up by baseball pros. Dye still has very good range and handles RF very well. If he has lost a step his experience makes up for it. He is not a defensive liability in any way. Th hitting aspect speaks for itself for sure.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I agree with that observation. Pods is a great example and in 2005 he filled the role we needed and filled it very well. I would love to see the big splash made in signing a free agent, but in reality one player most likely isn't going to make a winner out of a team. You need 25 players all working together and filling their roles. If we sign or trade for anyone they must fill the need and not just be the big name.

Pods was a pretty decent name back then, he was a fairly prominent lead off man. We arent even targeting THOSE guys.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Something, maybe not this, is happening soon for Sox. I dont see them going young at ALL those positions.

Agreed. Unless the Sox really are poor like Kenny's family from South Park (and I don't believe that smokescreen), I can not see the Sox not making at least 2 more moves. 1. New leadoff hitter via trade. 2.Veteran starting pitcher reclamation project.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Pods was a pretty decent name back then, he was a fairly prominent lead off man. We arent even targeting THOSE guys.

Considering the amount of money KW always claims he has to play with, I think he needs to have Fifty Cent throw out the first pitch Opening Day.

He should be the new team mascot.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)

Pods cost Carlos Lee to acquire. Lee signed a $100 million contract. Its not like he was found on the scrap heap.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

But...he was also coming off a season where he hit a whopping .240. There were a lot of questions about whether he'd be a decent leadoff man for any team if that's the way he was going to hit in what was basically his 2nd full season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
But...he was also coming off a season where he hit a whopping .240. There were a lot of questions about whether he'd be a decent leadoff man for any team if that's the way he was going to hit in what was basically his 2nd full season.

There really werent that many questions, we traded one of the best hitting LF'ers in baseball for him, he had a TON of value. We arent even going close to those types of guys at this point. Think spring training invites.

The Sox will make atleast one more move to bring in a cheap vet SP to compete for a job ... I guarantee it.

They are monitoring Freddy, and that seems like the best bet as of right now... yet don't be surprised if they pick up another Starter in a deal that may be a head scratcher.

A question to think about: did KW intend for this to be what his roster would look like on January 14th, or did he misjudge how the economy/market would play out? I have a very hard time believing that he wanted a roster with so many holes at this stage of the offseason.

just let everyone know coming from Heyman: free agent starter Freddy Garcia "is expected to make a deal in coming days." Heyman says the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, and White Sox are interested.

About a month ago, Jason Beck reported that an MRI on Garcia's arm revealed shoulder tightness but no structural damage.

A question to think about: did KW intend for this to be what his roster would look like on January 14th, or did he misjudge how the economy/market would play out? I have a very hard time believing that he wanted a roster with so many holes at this stage of the offseason.

Agreed. If nothing else was done, this offseason would clearly be a giant failure.