Angels want dye per-cowley

chisox2334

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think Toby Hall (as bad as he was) was one of the worst things to happen to the franchise.

The Sox don't really sign named free agents to multi year deals, so that says something about the Sox franchise themselves.

Worst Sox free agent signing of all time (taking in all the things I said)

1. Jaime Navarro

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

two year deal busts: Hall, Sandy Alomar Jr. ($5.5 million,including his trade to the Rockies)

one year duds: Darin Erstad, Mike Jackson (all but a month)

a few months or less of s***: Michael Myers, Jeff Nelson, Rick White, Kevin Walker

Ths Sox are stingy with signing free agents, but they usually do a good job of picking up the right pieces.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
If you say that about every rumor, you would be right most of the time. Every once in a while, a rumor actually happens and that is why I love to think of hot stove scenarios.

well I called the figgins deal not happening, just waiting on abreu to fall to someone else who isn't us ;)

I agree the Figgins signing wouldn't interfere with a trade. The Angels had to come up with a deal or go to arb. If anything, reaching an agreement earlier rather than going to arb. might make a deal more likely to occur.

A Figgins deal really does make too much sense for the Sox. Not sure if the Angels realy want to part with him or not, and what they'd want in return from the sox. Yet Figgins would solve a lot of questions. While he'd likely play LF, it would allow the sox to play Anderson full time in CF, Fields/ Viciedo at 3b, and Getz/ Lillibridge at 2b. Those young guys can hit near the bottom of the order with less pressure while getting the needed experience to play in the bigs. He'd also be insurance at CF and 3B, if those guys don't perform.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:49 AM)
Now the Angels and KW know just how much cash needs to come with Figgins in the Dye/Konerko trade.

I might be in a minority here, but I wouldn't mind this. We have an excess of corner OFs, no leadoff hitter, and a massive question mark at 3B. Moving Quentin to RF and Swisher to LF would also be a defensive plus.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Kenny give Uribe a two-year deal if the price is right (say, $8 million) to act as sort of an infield super-sub. Defensively, he'd be a great insurance policy.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:08 AM)
I might be in a minority here, but I wouldn't mind this. We have an excess of corner OFs, no leadoff hitter, and a massive question mark at 3B. Moving Quentin to RF and Swisher to LF would also be a defensive plus.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Kenny give Uribe a two-year deal if the price is right (say, $8 million) to act as sort of an infield super-sub. Defensively, he'd be a great insurance policy.

Swisher??? Ummm...he's not on the team anymore. Are you talking about moving Dye to LF?

The one problem with trading Konerko is that we don't have anyone to play that position, now that Swisher's gone to NY. It couldn't be Thome, realistically. That would leave either Dye, Fields, Viciedo, Allen and Tyler Flowers as the five best candidates.

Probably, as of this ST, the best options (in terms of defensive experience at least) would be Viciedo and Allen, although, in the end, it would have to come down to Viciedo or Fields and multiple prayers.

We already have, let's see....Ramirez, Betemit, Lillibridge and Beckham than can play 2B/SS, there's no room in this economy to give Uribe multiple years....or even $4 million for one year. I would much rather devote that $4 million to signing someone like Freddy Garcia, Braden Looper, Mark Mulder or Pedro Martinez than Juan Uribe.

I love Juan, he's always going to have a place in our hearts for 04/05/08, but his usefulness to the White Sox is gone, unfortunately. The Betemit and Lillibridge deals sealed his fate.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 06:08 AM)

Swish got traded to the Yanks as you may remember. I agree that moving Dye/Konerko for Figgins and spending the money saved would help the Sox especially if Abreu or another pitcher like Sheets, Garland, Pedro, or Garcia are brought in. There would be a lot of options with Figgins. I happen to not have confidence in Fields and could see him playing 3rd.

Figgins 3b

Getz 2b

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Konerko 1b

Ramirez SS

AJ C

Viciedo RF

Anderson CF

MB

Danks

Floyd

Colon

Sheets/Garland/Garcia/Pedro

Backup plan starters CR/AP Marquez

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 06:48 AM)
The one problem with trading Konerko is that we don't have anyone to play that position, now that Swisher's gone to NY. It couldn't be Thome, realistically. That would leave either Dye, Fields, Viciedo, Allen and Tyler Flowers as the five best candidates.

I would rather keep Dye and trade Konerko. Dye is a bit faster and a more consistent hitter. Dye could move to 1b opening up a spot in the outfield for Viciedo or an Abreu signing. Fields could move to 1b with Figgins playing 3rd. Benemit has played first. If Viciedo can play 3rd then I'm sure he could handle 1b.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)

Solving the leadoff problem is harder to do than finding someone to play 1b. Doug Mientkiewicz comes to mind as a platoon guy/ defensive replacement in the "Ross Gload" mold. Though a guy like Lyle Overbay could probably be had [team needs to pare payroll, have larger contracts already tied up]. If the sox did trade PK, they would have to be thinking about Dye for 1b. It would save his legs and extend his career. Though in 2009, Dye could see a lot of AB's at DH when the sox face a LHP.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 04:53 AM)
Swish got traded to the Yanks as you may remember.

:stick

I agree that moving Dye/Konerko for Figgins and spending the money saved would help the Sox especially if Abreu or another pitcher like Sheets, Garland, Pedro, or Garcia are brought in. There would be a lot of options with Figgins. I happen to not have confidence in Fields and could see him playing 3rd.

Paulie and Thome are pretty much unmovable, so Dye would have to be the guy. And I don't see Kenny spending on Sheets, unless he comes down significantly in price. And even then, his recent shoulder, elbow, AND back injuries are a risk for even $30 million. But with so much money coming off of the books next year, who knows. I also don't see KW bringing Garland back into the fold, given his market value and his weak 2008. I think it's much more likely that we see another retread signed to a one-year deal, like your suggestions of Garcia or Pedro.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
The Angels and Chone Figgins avoided arbitration by agreeing to a 1 year, $5.775M deal today. So for those of you wondering how much he'll make this season, there you go.

So that makes a one for one Dye/Konerko type deal make perfect sense for both teams. The Sox get their leadoff hitter and free up about $6 million in payroll. The Angels get their right handed thumper they have been looking for... which means the deal will never happen.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
does figgins still have his legs for CF though? isn't he getting to his mid 30's?

He turns 31 this month and he stole 34 bases last year despite 2 trips to the 15 day DL and bereavement time off. I think he has the speed, but I want Anderson's glove out there. I'd rather see Figgins at 3b, 2b, or LF.

A couple of more thoughts on how KW should spend JR's money if a Konerko/Dye for Figgins trade went down.

How about investing some of the saved cash on Orlando Hudson. Hot Stove on MLB referred to him as a victim of the recession.

LF Figgins

2b Hudson

RF TCQ

DH Thome

1b Konerko

SS Ramirez

C AJ

3b Fields/Benemit platoon

CF Anderson/Lillibridge

Adds speed and and or defense up the middle.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 06:08 AM)

massive? Fields, Betemit, and Viciedo are all legitimate options at 3B, and it's not crazy hard to find a stopgap 3Bman for a season. I wouldn't call it massive.

I also have no problem with signing Uribe, but it would have to be for 1 year and $2-3 mill. And right now, I just don't know if the Sox have the room for that either in their budget or the roster.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 06:01 AM)
He turns 31 this month and he stole 34 bases last year despite 2 trips to the 15 day DL and bereavement time off. I think he has the speed, but I want Anderson's glove out there. I'd rather see Figgins at 3b, 2b, or LF.

I agree. If Kenny doesn't sign a FA CF, I believe that this season would be a good time for Anderson to "sink or swim" in a full-time role.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)
massive? Fields, Betemit, and Viciedo are all legitimate options at 3B, and it's not crazy hard to find a stopgap 3Bman for a season. I wouldn't call it massive.

Fair enough, but I don't feel particularly comfortable with any of those guys in the lineup.

I also have no problem with signing Uribe, but it would have to be for 1 year and $2-3 mill. And right now, I just don't know if the Sox have the room for that either in their budget or the roster.

That would involve Uribe taking a paycut from last season, and I'm not sure that he'd be down with that. I also don't see him taking a one-year deal... he can get more than that on the FA market.

The Sox are shedding an absolute ton of payroll next season, so I don't see how giving Juan a 2/8 deal is going to be a financial issue. It seems like a good insurance policy for a team that is still up in the air at 3B and 2B.

Edited by WCSox

Wow, when you have to mention names like Pedro, Freddy, Bartolo and Uribe you know your team is in bad shape.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Wow, when you have to mention names like Pedro, Freddy, Bartolo and Uribe you know your team is in bad shape.

Kind of like how Kenny acquired "has-been retreads" like Contreras and El Duque in the not-too-distant past?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Kind of like how Kenny acquired "has-been retreads" like Contreras and El Duque in the not-too-distant past?

I think Contreras is more along the lines of a player that was looked at as a bust, but Hermanson, Widger, Thome...a lot of others do fit. Not all of them had great or long extended runs, but they were all very solid for a period of time.

Contreras was fairly new to the MLB at the time we acquired him; correct me if I'm wrong. El Duque didn't seem too risky. Bartolo, Freddy and Pedro are all ridiculous injury risks and we've been over Uribe time and time again. I don't see much point to your post. I'm just saying that's quite a sad story for the offseason to only be looking at aging injury risks.

I don't get KW's obsession with Figgins but that's just me...also I dont get why a lot of posters here hate Owens,I agree that he is no Rickey Henderson but to say that he's one of the worst major leaguers ever is over the top,me thinks...let's give him a real shot at the big leagues to see what he can do. :gosoxretro: