Marquez Thrilled to Be with Sox

winninguglyin83

Well, You Guys Didn't Believe in Carlos, Alexei, Danksy and Gavin...Look What They Did!!!!

Great...lovely.

To hear KW talk, with Marquez' arsenal replete with multiple "plus" pitches, you wonder how he ever possibly put up that 4.69 ERA last year...yet nobody addressed what happened with his career trajectory last year and why he regressed so far as a prospect with the Yankees in one season (from a Top Ten...8-10 guy...to 21, or something like that, before the trade).

Well, the other marketing idea...

These Guys Looked REALLY REALLY Good in the Arizona Fall League (KW was so impressed, he traded for them...cue 80's music, like the commercials about electric shavers from the past, he even bought the company)!!!

They could put Floyd, Marquez, Cole Armstrong, Flowers, Beckham and Jon/Jordan Danks on the cover, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

The latest rumor was Mike Cameron for Swisher. Does that sound better than what we got in return?

He's a CFer, but would anyone really be happy with Mike Cameron as a return? I'm sure a few would, plus there's the sentimental idea of bringing him back 10 years later, but...he's not an option for leadoff hitter either, which is one of the biggest "issues" hanging over the team at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
The latest rumor was Mike Cameron for Swisher. Does that sound better than what we got in return?

He's a CFer, but would anyone really be happy with Mike Cameron as a return? I'm sure a few would, plus there's the sentimental idea of bringing him back 10 years later, but...he's not an option for leadoff hitter either, which is one of the biggest "issues" hanging over the team at this point.

Brian Anderson is basically a little worse hitting (at least at this stage of Cameron's career), younger, and white version of Mike Cameron.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
I hate this trade everyday.

I hate the Sweeney, Gio, and DLS trade more then either.

Swisher is a pretty terrible player, and I'm not sad to see him go at all, but I think Sweeney, Gio, and DLS > Betemit, Marquez, and Nunez (was Nunez, right?).

While Gio has had his location troubles, he's still got above average stuff and has a higher ceiling then Marquez. Betemit is a solid utility infielder but Sweeney is at least a decent starter. And I don't know much about Nunez, but while DLS did have TJS and is still a while away from the majors, he's got the stuff to be a real good pitcher, whether it be in the bullpen or rotation.

Brian Anderson is basically a little worse hitting (at least at this stage of Cameron's career), younger, and white version of Mike Cameron.

OPS+

Cameron since 2001:

Anderson:

How is Anderson a "little" worse. Cameron is also better on the basepaths and is still a solid defensive CF. The biggest knock on him would be his $10 million salary which now starting to look like a lot based on the market.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
OPS+

Cameron since 2001:

Anderson:

How is Anderson a "little" worse. Cameron is also better on the basepaths and is still a solid defensive CF. The biggest knock on him would be his $10 million salary which now starting to look like a lot based on the market.

maybe more then a little, but they still are very similar players.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
In the article that had the link to it, I read where Marquez has a power chageup to both left and right handed hitters. Does anybody know exactly for sure what a power changeup is. I did some searching, and came up blank.

Perhaps it's a shuuto, and they're just not calling it that as it's a Japanese term? I'm not sure. That part of his scouting report confused me as well.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
In the article that had the link to it, I read where Marquez has a power chageup to both left and right handed hitters. Does anybody know exactly for sure what a power changeup is. I did some searching, and came up blank.

The best description that I could find is that a power change doesn't "float" up to the plate ala Tom Glavine. So basically it has a good amount of downward movement.