Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

Just announced on 670 the Sox are looking hard at signing Bartolo Colon as well as Freddy Garcia.

Take it for what it's worth.

UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that the White Sox and Bartolo Colon have agreed to a 1 year deal pending a physical.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9079312...lon-to-rotation

Also,

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Edited by knightni

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
To be honest. You bring in Freddy and Fatolo and I feel alot more comfortable with the rotation going into next year. If ONE of Colon/Garcia pitches decently we could have a pretty good chance at the division.

That.

Scot Gregor snagged a funny quote from from irritated White Sox GM Ken Williams on this winter's Jermaine Dye trade rumors:

"Can't even imagine what the rumor is. I'm tired of responding to every blogger's idea."

This offseason, Dye has been mentioned in rumors by venerable journalists Hal McCoy, Jayson Stark, Danny Knobler, Ken Rosenthal, Jon Heyman, Bruce Levine, and Joe Cowley.

mlbtraderumors.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
If you could get a half a season out of both of them, it would be sweet. Of course, you would have to reserve a spot in the buffett line in front of them for Ramirez.

Well, Colon basically walked out on the Red Sox and threw a hissy fit because they wanted him to go to the pen and be a spot starter. He's supposedly WAY overweight...and he was notorious for only exerting himself when the White Sox offense gave him an opprtunity to get the "W."

Maybe his desperation to get back into baseball will end up in a more "team-oriented" attitude than he exhibited last time. Let's hope.

Among Colon, Garcia and Contreras, hopefully they can combine to give us ONE full season of starting out of the 4th spot.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Well, Colon basically walked out on the Red Sox and threw a hissy fit because they wanted him to go to the pen and be a spot starter. He's supposedly WAY overweight...and he was notorious for only exerting himself when the White Sox offense gave him an opprtunity to get the "W."

Maybe his desperation to get back into baseball will end up in a more "team-oriented" attitude than he exhibited last time. Let's hope.

Among Colon, Garcia and Contreras, hopefully they can combine to give us ONE full season of starting out of the 4th spot.

According to TheScore, Colon is in Chicago right now.

Freddy is going to pick in the next few days between a few teams: White Sox, Mets, Yankees and Rangers.

I predict Colon signs here. Freddy signs with the Mets.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)

Freddy is going to pick in the next few days between a few teams: White Sox, Mets, Yankees and Rangers.

Perez will re-sign with the Mets it looks like giving them a rotation of Santana, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey and Redding. They could use another arm, but they've got Niese who can fill in if needed.

I still think Freddy is more likely to sign here in Chicago than Colon.

I'd probably still prefer to have either starting 2009 on the cheap than Poreda or Marquez though (both should be back in AAA to start the season).

not sure what they will sign bartolo for...but i like these types of moves alot...it gives alot of insurances at the back end of the rotation...he actually threw the ball decently well for the Bosox last year when he was healthy....you figure that if you sign both, that between colon, garcia and contreras (half way through) , you should get solid contributions at some point...then if Marquez or Richard or Poreda etc is ready to step in, its easy to demote one of them if they struggle...the Bosox have used this formula the last couple years and it has worked....also i imagine they won't get anything higher than the 1 year 5 mil deals the bosox gave penny and smoltz, which makes it a pretty low risk, potentially decent reward deal

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)

The Mets just signed Redding...well, maybe they'll also take Garcia, but I think they're in the best position (still) to give Oliver Perez what he wants of all the teams.

The Yankees? Well, maybe if they aren't convinced that Hughes and Kennedy are ever going to amount to anything...although I'm sure Garcia would be signing only a one-year deal with mostly incentives with them.

Rangers? Well, if you're a pitcher that EVER dreams of getting a long term contract again, that's probably not the first place you'd head. Kevin Millwood had one good "comeback" season down there, but it would be a nightmare pitching for that team with that infield defense...although we all know how Freddy likes to get "lathered up" in sweat in the dog days of August.

MARTI

GARCIA

COLON

CONTRERAS

I'll take 2/4 and call it an offseaon...just fix CF/leadoff and we'll be sitting prett(ier).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
Just announced on 670 the Sox are looking hard at signing Bartolo Colon as well as Freddy Garcia.

Take it for what it's worth.

A story just posted on MLB.Com reports the Sox are one of three or four teams that Freddie Garcia may sign with. I haven't seen anything on Bartolo Colon thouhg. We have heard the rumors about Garcia before also. Both are injury risks obviously, but are very good pitchers if healthy and cheaper alternatives then Loew, et al. I wonder where Pedro winds up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
If you could get a half a season out of both of them, it would be sweet. Of course, you would have to reserve a spot in the buffet line in front of them for Ramirez.

I saw Colon pitch here in Baltimore this past season and good lord he is fat, he looks even rounder than he does on TV.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
I saw Colon pitch here in Baltimore this past season and good lord he is fat, he looks even rounder than he does on TV.

whenever he pitched I thought of the Simpsons episode where Homer played softball and they showed a slow motion breakdown of him hitting, with his fat shifting to the back, then to the front when he hit it. Same thing, except throwing the ball

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
whenever he pitched I thought of the Simpsons episode where Homer played softball and they showed a slow motion breakdown of him hitting, with his fat shifting to the back, then to the front when he hit it. Same thing, except throwing the ball

I was thinking, if I walked down there and shoved his shoulders, he will actually roll over on his head and either tip over or roll back in the other direction like a football.

With Colon being so rotund, he should be able to hide the ball longer than any other pitcher in mlb. His arms might not extend too much past his stomach. Viciedo and colon may lose weight with the Jenny Craig diet and appear together in ads like Kirsty Ally did before she got fat again. Perhaps this will be help bridge the difference between what Colon did make and what the market for his services presently dictate.

Edited by forrestg