Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
yeah but the year colon went 10-4 in both leagues he had a legit shot at the cy young had he spent the entire year in either league, so it bothers me less with colon than it does with others, but you are right awards mean jack

FWIW, and its probably worth very little, Colon was 3-1 with a 2.27 ERA in 9 starts at AAA pawtucket last year in addition to his 7 starts in the bigs

Eh, 2002 was the year that Pedro finished with a 2.26 ERA and 0.92 WHIP (WAAAAY better than Bartolo) and still didn't take home the Cy Young. Oh, and Randy Johnson struck out 334 batters that year with a 2.32 ERA so realistically Bartolo had no shot at either.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Looks like our pitching staff is complete.

Starters (5)

Buerhle

Danks

Floyd

Colon

Marquez

Bullpen(7)

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

(kids from the yankmees)

Thornton

Richard

Poreda

I think there is no way in hell the Sox will take two lefty starters and convert them both into relievers in the same off-season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Interesting. Colon was #3 on my depth chart of Ex-Sox pitchers most likely to return, but it makes sense. He gets to come back to a place he had success, and he knows the organization. He gets a chance to prove he is still effective, while the Sox get to give him one year on the cheap and try to protect themselves against having too many question marks on the staff. I like it.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Worst case scenario, the Sox end up with kids at #4 and 5 anyway.

Worth a shot.

Plus, it gave everyone a chance to clear the fat jokes out of the comedy warehouse! Good times!

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/media/video.j...10&c_id=bos

thats a vid of colon...you can never trust radar guns but he's hitting 95 in there...still has some of that 2 seam action he always had before as well...even if hes throwin 92, with solid movement like that he can still be effective if healthy

If he throws that well with the Sox and doesnt throw out his back hitting like he did last season, he will be a VERY solid piece of the puzzle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)
If he throws that well with the Sox and doesnt throw out his back hitting like he did last season, he will be a VERY solid piece of the puzzle.

Yeah, he was throwing really well last year. If he manages to lose some weight and we don't let him hit, just have him stick to bunting, he might last.

This move cant hurt anything.... Obviously Colon won't be the same guy he was back in 2003. But i like the fact that he won 4 of 7 last year before hurting is back by 'swinging his bat crazy' in an AB vs Cole Hamels. He came back to start on September 13th and was starting in that game. So he left on bad terms with the Bo Sox but the key word was he was ready to pitch and he was healthy. The Red Sox just wanted to put him in the bullpen and he wanted nothing to do with it...

If we are getting a healthy Colon, we can definitley get 10-12 wins out of the guy. (El-duque of 2005). And if he's hurt at some point during the year, you bring up Poreda.

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Colon, Marquez. Not bad. Im really interested to see how this Marquez fella pitches. I think Poreda will start the year down in triple-a. At some point in 2009- HE WILL make his MLB debut...

Clayton Richard will go to the bullpen IMO. He's a GREAT long reliever/ spot starter.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Looks like our pitching staff is complete.

Starters (5)

Buerhle

Danks

Floyd

Colon

Marquez

Bullpen(7)

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

(kids from the yankmees)

Thornton

Richard

Poreda

I still think another veteran may come. Marquez will earn confidence in the pen like Floyd and be ready to step in for whoever gets injured first

Buerhle

Danks

Floyd

Colon

Garcia/Pedro/Garland

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Marquez

Richard

Nunez

Poreda develops in the minors

Or this sets up the upcoming Floyd for Roberts trade

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
I still think another veteran may come. Marquez will earn confidence in the pen like Floyd and be ready to step in for whoever gets injured first

Buerhle

Danks

Floyd

Colon

Garcia/Pedro/Garland

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Marquez

Richard

Nunez

Poreda develops in the minors

Or this sets up the upcoming Floyd for Roberts trade

I just dont see the Sox getting another veteran starting pitcher now that Colon is back with us. I expect KW to let Marquez, Poreda and Richard battle it out in ST for that final starting spot. I think Marquez will win it. Poreda will start down in triple A. And Richard is going to solidify our bullpen.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
I just dont see the Sox getting another veteran starting pitcher now that Colon is back with us. I expect KW to let Marquez, Poreda and Richard battle it out in ST for that final starting spot. I think Marquez will win it. Poreda will start down in triple A. And Richard is going to solidify our bullpen.

You may be right and that may have been the plan. But you can never have too much pitching and the Sox might be able to pick up someone like Garland, Pedro, or Garcia for what might be a depressed market price. If KW can get a low risk, high reward, formally successful starting pitcher, he may take that opportunity. Marquez can prove himself in the pen like McCarthy/Floyd and step up if one of the vets gets injured.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
You may be right and that may have been the plan. But you can never have too much pitching and the Sox might be able to pick up someone like Garland, Pedro, or Garcia for what might be a depressed market price. If KW can get a low risk, high reward, formally successful starting pitcher, he may take that opportunity. Marquez can prove himself in the pen like McCarthy/Floyd and step up if one of the vets gets injured.

I don't see how Marquez is any higher on the depth chart than Broadway or Egbert. He hasn't even proven himself at the AAA level, so I think it's a little premature to put him on the staff. I'm putting Poreda in the pen at this point, but only because he's a lefty. I think ultimately he'll be starting at AAA to start the season, as will Marquez.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
-I am sitting here chuckling just at the possibility of Herb's fatass helping a hobbled Fatolo off the field.

- Anyone with good seats between the bases better learn to keep an eye on their churros.

- Special Announcement: Bartolo's Soxfest signing will be held at the end of of the Palmer House buffet. For an additional $5 Colon will sign your memorabilia with a barbecue rib.

- Maybe Kenny was thinking he could fill both holes in the rotation by signing just Bartolo's fatass?

- Whitesox.com press release: With the prospect of newly aquired Bartolo Colon seeing some action as a long reliever, renovations to widen the gate to the bullpen will begin immediately. Also, Bartolo will be forced to sit Indian style on the bullpen mound as the bench will not support both him and Jenks.

- Nancy Foust is furiously working on an organ rendition of Sir Mixalot's classic: Bartolo Got Back.

- When the city of Chicago asked the White Sox to "Beef Up Security" around the ballpark due to terrorist threats, this signing wasn't what they had in mind.

- During contract negotiations Bartolo was able to gain a great deal of leverage against KW by threatening to forgo the '09 season to appear on "The Biggest Loser". This strategy worked because Rick Hahn was convinced Colon meant he had an offer from the Cubs.

- Brooks Boyer is already planning: Bartolo Colon BobbleBelly Day!

- Bartolo likes the idea of wearing all black to support the Sox fan's "Blackout", as he thinks black gives his hips a "slimming effect".

Good signing or not....that is hilarious :lolhitting