Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
I'm in the would of prefered Fat Freddie camp, but if Ozzie and Coop can install a decent work ethic for Bartolo then i have no problem with him competing for a spot with Richard and Poreda

It's entirely possible that this decision was made because it's been longer since Bartolo ate his surgeon, and so he may simply be healthier. Garcia's really no good to us if he's not ready on day 1. If Colon is ready on day 1 and then goes down midway through the season, that's a lot better than being on the DL to start the year and coming back midseason because it gives our youngin's time to do some work at AAA.

If you sign Colon and Freddy to compete with Marquez and Richard, one would have to emerge as a solid #4 starter. If so, you can live with a so-so 5 starter while Poreda gets ready or KW looks for a trade. With a solid 4, we are in the division hunt even with a weak 5. These signings can't hurt, especially if cheap. I hope we get Freddy and the Cuban, then we will have some good competition for the last two spots.

Get used to it...

Get used to it? How long have you been a fan? I have BEEN used to it for years. It just sucks. If we start this season out with this rotation and still no leadoff hitter I'm officially writing off KW. There's just no excuse.

And don't throw that "rebuilding" crap around. This team has a ridiculously high payroll with few good things to show for it. Hell, our BEST players are making pittance right now. It's mind-boggling.

Someone needs to point out a team that's maintained worse than ours now so I can feel a little better.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Get used to it? How long have you been a fan? I have BEEN used to it for years. It just sucks. If we start this season out with this rotation and still no leadoff hitter I'm officially writing off KW. There's just no excuse.

And don't throw that "rebuilding" crap around. This team has a ridiculously high payroll with few good things to show for it. Hell, our BEST players are making pittance right now. It's mind-boggling.

Someone needs to point out a team that's maintained worse than ours now so I can feel a little better.

wat

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Not really considering Javy threw more innings last year than Colon has in the past 3 combined

Well last year he was apparently ready to go for more, but it was the wealth of pitching BoSox already have in the rotation that forced him out.

And then apparently he let himself get fined b/c he lost enthusiasm about being with their team. That part's troubling.

Ummmmm....that's the WHOLE idea of being a GM, Quentin/Floyd/Danks/Ramirez are cost effective...probably the best value for their contracts (particularly the Ramirez deal) in the major leagues today.

What egregious contracts do we still have on our books? We've shed Griffey, Jr., Crede, Uribe, Cabrera, Vazquez and Swisher already. We're still going to get our money from the Phils on Thome, and that deal, it's not like we could sit him out to avoid the contract locking in for next year, we would have been torn to shreds by the MLBPA. Konerko? Contreras? MacDougal? There are tons of teams out there who and who've made very iffy pick-ups and had to EAT salaries in the last couple of years. I'm not sure what you are complaining about...what teams, besides the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Braves and Indians have been relatively aggressive this off-season?

MINN...Monroe, Lamb, Livan Hernandez (and he blocked Liriano)

DET...Sheffield and Willis are weighing so heavily on that team they might have to deal Ordonez and they could only sign Adam Everett

KC...they couldn't get rid of Jose Guillen's contract right now if they ate 50-75% of it...players like David DeJesus and Mark Teahen are really overpriced (based on their OPS) for a small market team...I'm sure we'll be talking about the Farnsworth deal for months too this season

CLE...no veteran players stick out (maybe Jason Michaels?), but they've had lots of struggles with the likes of Andy Marte and Josh Barfield

Viciedo is a younger future impact slugger who could be a bargain (although in this market, less of one) if he has an impact in 2010, 11 or 12. That signing doesn't look quite so smart in hindsight, but nobody knew exactly what was going to happen. It still might turn out to be a great signing.

We're trying to re-establish some value/s for Fields, Owens, Anderson, Lillibridge and Getz. What GM doesn't want to "buy low/sell high"?

Flowers, Viciedo, Beckham and Poreda all have a chance to be special players. The likes of Allen, Danks and Shelby aren't far behind them.

KW did what he set out to do, and maybe he's still not done tinkering...get production from 4/5 in the rotation without having to spend $10+ to do it.

Between Colon, Contreras, Marquez, Richard, Broadway, Egbert, DJ Carasco and Poreda, I think we'll be okay. The other thing to keep in mind with some of these veterans (Smoltz, Freddy Garcia, Pavano, Penny, Pedro, etc.) is that there has never been a question about Colon's arm strength...if we can somehow get him and Viciedo in much better condition, we could have outstanding players on our hands. I'm even hopeful that a year off will really rejuvenate Jose's arm too, if he can manage to repeat or avoid another Achilles' injury. Depends on how hard he's worked this offseason...he doesn't strike me as a quitter.

In other words, we have the two of the best pitchers in baseball from as recently as 3-4 seasons ago on Colon and Contreras. I think at least one of them still has something left and will surprise us. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Yadel Marti with the White Sox if his visa issues are cleared up.

Edited by caulfield12

I'd take another undeserving Cy Young season out of Colon haha

Seriously though, if he would go 13-10 with an ERA in the low 4's out of the 4th or 5th slot I would take it in a second, as long as the contract isn't ridiculous, which I don't believe it will be.

Assuming he and Thome got along in Cleveland and he and Ozzie have no bad stuff in their past this could work. If not they trade him or release him at the All-Star break, whatever....

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
Well last year he was apparently ready to go for more, but it was the wealth of pitching BoSox already have in the rotation that forced him out.

And then apparently he let himself get fined b/c he lost enthusiasm about being with their team. That part's troubling.

He went back to the Dominican towards the end of the season (without permission) for an undisclosed "family matter" and was pouting at that time because he was told he would be either a reliever or spot starter...he did have a sub 4.00 ERA last season, and he still has a healthy ego (and appetite!). So he was put on the suspended list. I don't know, tough decision for the Red Sox, they weren't going to be able to put Wakefield in the pen for obvious reasons, so Colon was the obvious one to be moved out. A nice luxury almost no team had last year, to bench a starter with an ERA under 4.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)

I would say Linebrink and Konerko are the only bad long-term contracts the Sox hold. That's not so bad -- many teams have a lot more.

This year is difficult for a few reasons -- the Sox were clearly mandated to lower payroll. They had to shell big money to leave Tucson (was it $5M?) and they have $10M in the starting rotation that is sidelined because Contreras is hurt. Unfortunately, the Sox don't have the minor league talent to cover losing veteran starting pitchers (you can blame KW for that), but financially the team has not been poorly maintained. Look at Texas -- Young's contract alone is a bigger albatross than Konerko and Linebrink combined.

Next year should be interesting. Dye, Contreras, Dotel, and Thome all come off the books (is that $38M....something like that?). I'll be interested in seeing if the Sox spend that or if the revenue reductions of this year simply cuts that out of the budget.

Anyway, if you want to rip KW for misallocated money you are criticizing the signing of Konerko. Other than that, there's not much low production for $ on the team.

The Konerko signing is fine. For what he signed for at the time it was more than fair. Right now his contract is equal to Jose Guillen's, who was signed last offseason. Konerko showed signs of life late last year and has bounced back from a bad season before.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
The Konerko signing is fine. For what he signed for at the time it was more than fair. Right now his contract is equal to Jose Guillen's, who was signed last offseason. Konerko showed signs of life late last year and has bounced back from a bad season before.

He ain't gettin any younger. Thankfully the Sox don't sign his checks for much longer.