Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Honestly, I'd really rather not see Poreda in the pen. The main thing keeping him from being an MLB ready starter is a successful 3rd pitch, I think he's been working on a slider quite a bit. If he's coming out of the pen, he'll never be using his 3rd pitch in a game situation. I'd rather have him getting innings. But Hey, if he earns the bullpen slot and the team goes with it, then maybe he can learn it in the pen.

Hence why signing a 2nd lefty for the pen could be shrewd acquisition.

Someone like Joe Beimel or Dennys Reyes would be ideal, but they are probably asking for more than KW is willing to give I would imagine.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
since he had surgery in mid- August, it will probably be around that time when he will bw with the Sox again. That is a conservative estimate based on rehab and throwing progress. But I don't see it any earlier than late July in the very best scenario. This is a return to the sox so he will be throwing earlier and getting ready.

I'm going to choose to be optimistic on this one. By the medical book he's nearly 5 months post surgery which means worst case 3 months into rehab. I can't imagine a man in peak physical condition will take 5 more months to recover from this. I hope we see him in April, and without reviewing his chart don't think that's unrealistic based on what the the norm rehab program schedule would be. I think (hope) as with most things the Sox were giving out the worst case scenerio.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Hence why signing a 2nd lefty for the pen could be shrewd acquisition.

Someone like Joe Beimel or Dennys Reyes would be ideal, but they are probably asking for more than KW is willing to give I would imagine.

not that this means anything, but a buddy of mine in the know said we signed Erasmo Ramirez (lefty reliever) to a minor league deal....he'll probably be AAA roster filler, but the sox will invite him to camp...he has 90 appearances in teh bigs, but at this point im sure its just to fill out the minor league rosters

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
So right now, I'd imagine the backend of the rotation is BC and JM, with CR in the pen and AP in AAA.

I just can't see Marquez making the rotation. Nothing would seem to indicate that he could have a good enough spring training to make the rotation. Last season he was awful in the minors and pitched poorly in Arizona. I would much rather Richard in the rotation than Marquez. I just don't understand why people think he could start adequately in the majors -- a place he has never pitched. At least Richard dominated the minors last year and pitched well in the playoffs.

If the White Sox do give him 7-8 starts, it still could cost us something in terms of intangibles/development/time/wins if he really performs poorly. Maybe others don't see him getting that much rope, but if our options are colon vs. CR/AP I'm not really sure why they wouldn't give Colon more rope than some might think.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
If the White Sox do give him 7-8 starts, it still could cost us something in terms of intangibles/development/time/wins if he really performs poorly. Maybe others don't see him getting that much rope, but if our options are colon vs. CR/AP I'm not really sure why they wouldn't give Colon more rope than some might think.

Kinda like the Livan/Liriano ordeal with the twins.

If any of the pitchers are lighting it up and Colon is crap, Sox must not make that same mistake.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
that's pretty accurrate for someone his age. The difference will be that they will use an augmentation device to help the repair heal faster and have more tensile strength later on. So he will begin moving a little earlier than the 8-12 weeks.

As I've stated before with all of his variables (size,age etc.) I would guess it to be about a year from surgery that he will be pitching for the Sox at the MLB level. I don't remember when he had surgery but that should be about the time frame.

My experience was with my Dads achillies tear he had at about 34 years old. We were told then that the injury recovery didn't really have much to do with what kind of physical shape you were in. I guess they have made some advancements in the rehab process with the augmentation device. I really do hope that Jose can get well quicker than that. It would be like getting a front line pitcher in a deadline deal, while giving up nothing for him.

I'd fell much better about one pitcher developing his stuff as a starter with another in the pen then 2 as starters. Buerhle learned a lot in the pen and i feel like Garland did too in 01 and 02 when he was put back in there.

I would have much preferred if we signed Freddy. We've shared more memories with Freddy and he's obviously in better shape. Realistically, neither Freddy or Colon will pitch the entire season (you'd be lucky to get half a season out of either). I can't imagine Freddy was asking for much more than Colon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Well all except for the fact that we don't have a Liriano knocking on the door.

Duh :lolhitting ...just saying if we got someone in the minors on fire, and Colons up in the majors with a 6+ERA not doin much...can't hesitate to try one of the prospects.

Zambrano and Schilling also started out in the pen.

Knowing Ozzie, he isn't going to care much about the option situation. He'll take the best players for each and every job up to the majors with him, just as he did with Neal Cotts in 2004 when he very well may have had a future as a starter if he had further developed his curve and change. The problem then becomes whether or not Poreda or whoever remains in the bullpen for the remainder of their time with the Sox. At this point, Poreda's future is much to bright to have him remain in the pen much more than a year, but I could definitely see Richard remaining there.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Duh :lolhitting ...just saying if we got someone in the minors on fire, and Colons up in the majors with a 6+ERA not doin much...can't hesitate to try one of the prospects.

The Sox won't tolerate a 6+ ERA from Colon. He'll either be put on the DL or released, because there's virtually no way Poreda/Marquez/Richard/Broadway/Egbert can't duplicate a 6+ ERA or so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
The Sox won't tolerate a 6+ ERA from Colon. He'll either be put on the DL or released, because there's virtually no way Poreda/Marquez/Richard/Broadway/Egbert can't duplicate a 6+ ERA or so.

Exactly, and with him having a million dollar contract, they wouldn't hestiate to do so. They literally lose the price of two minor leaguers if he shows up to camp at 350 pounds or something.