Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
I prefer Getz. I really like how he looked at the plate in limited action last year. I think he could become sorta like Marcus Giles for Atlanta before he and Prior injured each other.

i agree, i think Getz has the potential to be a perennial 750+ OPS player. I think at the very least he will have a career like Grudzielanek, and has the potential for a peak longer and less assited than Giles maybe peaking at 20+ HR

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 01:56 AM)
i agree, i think Getz has the potential to be a perennial 750+ OPS player. I think at the very least he will have a career like Grudzielanek, and has the potential for a peak longer and less assited than Giles maybe peaking at 20+ HR

You realize Mark Grudzielanek has over 2000 career hits? How many major leaguers end up at that level?

I don't expect Getz to have that kind of a career....I think he'll be a nice utility player (like a Craig Grebeck) and hit 10-12 homers and give up 15 or so steals with pretty regular player.

But Mark was an All-Star caliber player when he came up with DeShields in the Expos organization.

I'm sure you also think the idea of Richard/Marquez is laughable. Sorry, Cole Hamels and Tim Lincecum aren't available. But you can continue to cry, b****, wine, moan, ect if it makes you feel better.

Quite frankly I think I have the right to b**** when the team I'm a fan of constantly is in tatters every hyear because management never seems to fill the holes. Sorry.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:54 AM)
Quite frankly I think I have the right to b**** when the team I'm a fan of constantly is in tatters every hyear because management never seems to fill the holes. Sorry.

And then they do something like 2008 and prove you wrong and win a division. You should then, justifiably, eat some crow.

Awww, poor bighurt. How sad for you that the team you claim to be a fan of has only won 2 division titles and a World Series championship in the last four years. f*** a Pirates fan. Nobody has suffered like you have.

Tatters every year? 3 division wins in 9 years, a world championship, competitive for the post-season late in the season almost every year, and only one finish below 3rd in that same 9 years. That's better than most franchises in baseball, no matter which measure you choose.

So yes, you have the right to b****, just like you have the right to predict the sun won't rise tomorrow. You just won't get a lot of people agreeing with you.

I don't see how it is laughable at all. If Colon(and probably Garcia) doesn't work out, the kids are in anyways. Whats the problem with this? Its a small price to pay for a pitcher with a track record of pitching a lot of innings with pretty good results. This isn't signing Milton Bradley for 3 years, this isn't giving AJ Burnett for 5 years when he can only stay healthy for one, this is an insurance policy for the aptly named CR/AP experiment. If Richards and Poreda can take the 5th pitching slot, show it. If they cannot, bullpen or AAA for them. It doesn't really seem like the sox lose with a deal this cheap.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
I think some of the people in this thread need to take a look at Bartolo's starts last season on MLB.com. He really looked pretty good until he hurt himself BATTING.

i posted a couple videos earlier in the thread, i think everyone skimmed over them ;(

but yeah, his command and velocity were tops for sure, he looked a hell of a lot better last year than sweaty freddy did

his 1st game vs. the mariners in which he won http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1...cid=mlb&v=3

he pitched against them again later and got shelled

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
I don't see how it is laughable at all. If Colon(and probably Garcia) doesn't work out, the kids are in anyways. Whats the problem with this? Its a small price to pay for a pitcher with a track record of pitching a lot of innings with pretty good results. This isn't signing Milton Bradley for 3 years, this isn't giving AJ Burnett for 5 years when he can only stay healthy for one, this is an insurance policy for the aptly named CR/AP experiment. If Richards and Poreda can take the 5th pitching slot, show it. If they cannot, bullpen or AAA for them. It doesn't really seem like the sox lose with a deal this cheap.

Bingo.

If Colon doesn't pitch well, we cut him loose, and give someone else a chance.

Trading Vazquez for Flowers, Lillibridge, 2 extra prospects and to pick up Colon as a replacement, could turn out to be a very shrewd move by KW when it's all said and done.

Important fact to remember about Colon...Jose Contreras will be back around the All Star break.

If Colon does not eat himself to death we will be fine. Maybe Ozzie will have Ramirez room with Colon. If Ramirez eats half of all of Colon's food, all year, we can kill two birds with one stone. If Colon can loose 25lbs and Ramirez can find it....its all good.....Double Carne Asada Burritos for everyone.

The Dodgers are interested in Young. The Dodgers just resigned Furcal....sooo Young must be willing to go back to 2B when he started.

The White Sox should send Josh Fields to anyone that will take him....Figgins leading off with Young batting second would be a great table setting tandem....Speed Kills in Minnesota and Tampa...it will work on 35th Street too.

The White Sox should keep Dye. Send Pauly to the Angels. The Sox get Figgins and bat him lead off playing 3B. Kenny Williams ....Listen up...send Josh Fields to Texas for Young, bat Young 2nd and play him at 2B.

The money saved by unloading Pauly will cover Young’s cost. Figgins contract is settled at 5.7 million ...so with the arbitration done...lets light this candle. Oh yeah...have Dye play first base....and finally hire Ozzie's neighbor Abreau to play RF and bat 5th, behind

Figgins, Young, Thome, Dye, Abreau , Quentin, Pierzynski,

Ramirez and Owens. * Speed Kills Baby...Getter Done Kenny

I think this is either The Big Hurt or Greedy trying to be funny.

The hilarious part is that even with Michael Young, Figgins and Abreu, we still have Jerry Owens batting 9th and playing CF. Maybe Anderson would be a much better fit with that line-up, actually...

1) Young's contract down the line when he inevitably declines

2) Dye playing 1B without any experience

3) Replacing Figgins all over again

4) Convincing the Rangers' fans that they could live with a return of Josh Fields for perennial All-Star Michael Young...that might be the straw that broke the camel's back....after losing Galarraga, Chris Young, Danks and Volquez.

Edited by caulfield12

People need to completely and utterly forget about Michael Young. USCF is not a good place to hit for average, it's a good place to hit for power. Michael Young's OPS away from Texas during his entire career is .122 points less (.850 at home, .728 on the road), and though I'm not always a huge believer in merely looking at splits to shy away from a player, his contract is so bad that the splits alone make a terrible thought to bring Young into the fold. Add to the fact that he had a down year last year, thanks in large part to a terrible year on the road (.680 OPS), and that he's never had the best defense at any position he played, and that he'll be 32 next year heading into the 1st year of a monster contract (it's important enough to be brought up twice), and Michael Young is the absolute worst move this franchise could make at the current moment.

Good thing for Sox fans that it's run by a shrewd GM who doesn't like bringing in monstrosities of contracts and by a fiscally sound ownership group.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
People need to completely and utterly forget about Michael Young. USCF is not a good place to hit for average, it's a good place to hit for power. Michael Young's OPS away from Texas during his entire career is .122 points less (.850 at home, .728 on the road), and though I'm not always a huge believer in merely looking at splits to shy away from a player, his contract is so bad that the splits alone make a terrible thought to bring Young into the fold. Add to the fact that he had a down year last year, thanks in large part to a terrible year on the road (.680 OPS), and that he's never had the best defense at any position he played, and that he'll be 32 next year heading into the 1st year of a monster contract (it's important enough to be brought up twice), and Michael Young is the absolute worst move this franchise could make at the current moment.

Good thing for Sox fans that it's run by a shrewd GM who doesn't like bringing in monstrosities of contracts and by a fiscally sound ownership group.

i posted a thread in diamond club, young agreed to play 3B for the rangers today

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
As would I. He's also versatile enough to where Ozzie would keep him on the roster since he could play those multiple positions. I've always wondered why we didn't bring him back. He has decent plate discipline, a good OBP, and is speedy. And one more thing, he doesn't suck like Owens.

I wonder if Kenny has tried to gauge just how interested the Cubs were in getting value for their players with no options left, because we have the players to make a decent offer for Felix Pie.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
I wonder if Kenny has tried to gauge just how interested the Cubs were in getting value for their players with no options left, because we have the players to make a decent offer for Felix Pie.

What is the school of thought on Pie? Bust, or just hasn't gotten a chance?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)

He doesn't even have 300 PAs in the majors yet and I'm pretty sure those he has gotten in the majors have been pretty sporadic. He's done quite well in AAA, roughly to the tune of an .850 OPS. He just hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself yet. I'd be more than happy if the Sox acquired him at a reasonable price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)

Pie's need more time at the Major League Level. The Cubs refuse to offer him this. The consensus is that Pies' approaching bust territory, but the kid's has shown some promise whenever he's given the chance. I'd be more than happy to stick him out there with BA and see what happens.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Pie's need more time at the Major League Level. The Cubs refuse to offer him this. The consensus is that Pies' approaching bust territory, but the kid's has shown some promise whenever he's given the chance. I'd be more than happy to stick him out there with BA and see what happens.

We already know the answer to that. They'd be buried behind Owens as long as he's not hurt.