Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
I though the whole idea was that we wanted to get younger?

i have to believe its a one year contract, andi think the sox know they cant have both Richard and Marquez in the rotation at the same time...I'd feel quite a bit better about this team if we also signed freddy too....given the fact that a.) the fifth spot will be Richard/Marquez/poreda/broadway and that b.) Colon will be the 4, we still could use another guy

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
i have to believe its a one year contract, andi think the sox know they cant have both Richard and Marquez in the rotation at the same time...I'd feel quite a bit better about this team if we also signed freddy too....given the fact that a.) the fifth spot will be Richard/Marquez/poreda/broadway and that b.) Colon will be the 4, we still could use another guy

Thats what the Rosenthal article states, only 1 year

I'm not going to feel remotely comfortable with our rotation until we bring in a proven starter, and right now, neither Garcia or Colon are proven starters. That Vazquez trade is really hurting us right now. However, that trade does help us with the future, as I am a big fan of Flowers and that 3B prospect (I forget his name).

I find it funny how some people were making fun of the Indians and some other teams going with the strategy of throwing as much crap against the wall and see what sticks, but that's EXACTLY what we're doing right now. Colon, Garcia(?), Broadway, Marquez, Richard, and Poreda. Poreda being the only one who might not be crap.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)

I'd rather go with a young arm then Colon, it worked out with Danks and Floyd.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)

Well, we dont have another arm like that in our system, so its either go with a former Cy Young type guy coming off an injury or CR/AP.

We NEED another Vet to eat up some quality innings and I like Fatolo of Freddy to fill that role.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)

"A" young arm, I have no problem with.

My worry is that right now we're requiring 2 young arms. We have 3 potential candidates (Marquez, Richard, Poreda) but frankly, at the end of last year it looked like all 3 could use some time either in the bullpen (Richard) or in AAA to start the next year. We might get lucky and have someone like JVB or Broadway suddenly step up in ST also, but this was insurance we needed to do. Even if all Colon gives us is a couple poor months, that's a couple poor months while the kids get extra work in.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
I'm not going to feel remotely comfortable with our rotation until we bring in a proven starter, and right now, neither Garcia or Colon are proven starters. That Vazquez trade is really hurting us right now. However, that trade does help us with the future, as I am a big fan of Flowers and that 3B prospect (I forget his name).

I find it funny how some people were making fun of the Indians and some other teams going with the strategy of throwing as much crap against the wall and see what sticks, but that's EXACTLY what we're doing right now. Colon, Garcia(?), Broadway, Marquez, Richard, and Poreda. Poreda being the only one who might not be crap.

"Proven" isnt the word I would use. I understand what you are saying, I just dont think proven is the right word

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
"A" young arm, I have no problem with.

My worry is that right now we're requiring 2 young arms. We have 3 potential candidates (Marquez, Richard, Poreda) but frankly, at the end of last year it looked like all 3 could use some time either in the bullpen (Richard) or in AAA to start the next year. We might get lucky and have someone like JVB or Broadway suddenly step up in ST also, but this was insurance we needed to do. Even if all Colon gives us is a couple poor months, that's a couple poor months while the kids get extra work in.

agreed...on all accounts

the difference between Danks and Floyd last year and Marquez and Richard this year is frankly, Danks and Floyd were considered way better prospects, and were much closer to being major league ready. Add in the fact that having young pitchers blossom like Danks and Floyd did is the exception rather than the rule, and we need as much help at the back end of the rotation as we can get...

what is the best we can hope for with colon? best situation IMO is 20-25 starts and a 4.25 ERA

What happened in 2007 with those two when they were first given an opportunity? We are the defending AL Central champs. We need to be a little competitive and not try to completely rebuild just to see what some kid might have.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
what is the best we can hope for with colon? best situation IMO is 20-25 starts and a 4.25 ERA

Hell, if we get that out of him or anything close to that, assuming he's on a ridiculously cheap contract, we might wind up with an extra pick next year if he winds up type b while walking.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
"Proven" isnt the word I would use. I understand what you are saying, I just dont think proven is the right word

Okay, how about someone who isn't over the hill, doesn't have major durability concerns, and can be counted on the be at least an average starter? Kind of long, but gets the point across, IMO.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
What happened in 2007 with those two when they were first given an opportunity? We are the defending AL Central champs. We need to be a little competitive and not try to completely rebuild just to see what some kid might have.

Not to mention Marquez is the #14 prospect in the White Sox system. Why would anyone be eager to see him pitch every 5th game?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Nothing like bringing back familiar names to the team. Get Garland for cheap too.

I'm convinced if you've been with the White Sox before and had experienced any resemblance of success, you'll be rumored to return at some point before retiring.

Maybe Ncorg will come out of the shadows and serenade us with "Tub of Goo" comments.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Okay, how about someone who isn't over the hill, doesn't have major durability concerns, and can be counted on the be at least an average starter? Kind of long, but gets the point across, IMO.

thats fine. I just cant say that a former cy young is not proven

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:53 AM)
Sign Colon on a heavily incentive based deal, sign Garland, trade Dye, sign Abreu. Get it done KW?

sounds good to me... sign garland or sheets and garcia too.

bring it on.

go nuts for doughnuts.