Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
I'm convinced if you've been with the White Sox before and had experienced any resemblance of success, you'll be rumored to return at some point before retiring.

Maybe Ncorg will come out of the shadows and serenade us with "Tub of Goo" comments.

heck, I wish we could fast forward to his first start so the chat can get started on it ;)

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
When he is not hurt... Colon is still effective. I really think he joins the rotation at some point... and makes atleast 12 starts.

your sig is going to look a lot different soon

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
When he is not hurt... Colon is still effective. I really think he joins the rotation at some point... and makes atleast 12 starts.

Who knows how long he will last, maybe he won't make it through spring training, but it certainly won't hurt having him around, and I'm sure he costs next to nothing. I hope they get Garcia too, and make Richard a reliever. Maybe they both could shock the world and make it through the entire season, most likely they won't, but its better than signing Mike Meyers or Jeff Nelson.

Interesting. Colon was #3 on my depth chart of Ex-Sox pitchers most likely to return, but it makes sense. He gets to come back to a place he had success, and he knows the organization. He gets a chance to prove he is still effective, while the Sox get to give him one year on the cheap and try to protect themselves against having too many question marks on the staff. I like it.

-I am sitting here chuckling just at the possibility of Herb's fatass helping a hobbled Fatolo off the field.

- Anyone with good seats between the bases better learn to keep an eye on their churros.

- Special Announcement: Bartolo's Soxfest signing will be held at the end of of the Palmer House buffet. For an additional $5 Colon will sign your memorabilia with a barbecue rib.

- Maybe Kenny was thinking he could fill both holes in the rotation by signing just Bartolo's fatass?

- Whitesox.com press release: With the prospect of newly aquired Bartolo Colon seeing some action as a long reliever, renovations to widen the gate to the bullpen will begin immediately. Also, Bartolo will be forced to sit Indian style on the bullpen mound as the bench will not support both him and Jenks.

- Nancy Foust is furiously working on an organ rendition of Sir Mixalot's classic: Bartolo Got Back.

- When the city of Chicago asked the White Sox to "Beef Up Security" around the ballpark due to terrorist threats, this signing wasn't what they had in mind.

- During contract negotiations Bartolo was able to gain a great deal of leverage against KW by threatening to forgo the '09 season to appear on "The Biggest Loser". This strategy worked because Rick Hahn was convinced Colon meant he had an offer from the Cubs.

- Brooks Boyer is already planning: Bartolo Colon BobbleBelly Day!

- Bartolo likes the idea of wearing all black to support the Sox fan's "Blackout", as he thinks black gives his hips a "slimming effect".

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
thats fine. I just cant say that a former cy young is not proven

I know what you're saying but this is why awards voting bothers me. For the rest of his life Bartolo Colon will be referred to as a "former cy young award winner" but he in no way deserved to win that award in 2005. It's like Joe Crede being referred to as an all star or silver slugger award winner, it's just not fair to the players who actually earned the title with their play on the field.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
I know what you're saying but this is why awards voting bothers me. For the rest of his life Bartolo Colon will be referred to as a "former cy young award winner" but he in no way deserved to win that award in 2005. It's like Joe Crede being referred to as an all star or silver slugger award winner, it's just not fair to the players who actually earned the title with their play on the field.

Yeah, but Colon had some pretty great years in Cleveland as well. He may not have been the best pitcher in the game in 2005, but he was still pretty damn good

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)

yeah but the year colon went 10-4 in both leagues he had a legit shot at the cy young had he spent the entire year in either league, so it bothers me less with colon than it does with others, but you are right awards mean jack

FWIW, and its probably worth very little, Colon was 3-1 with a 2.27 ERA in 9 starts at AAA pawtucket last year in addition to his 7 starts in the bigs

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
Looks like our pitching staff is complete.

Starters (5)

Buerhle

Danks

Floyd

Colon

Marquez

Bullpen(7)

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

(kids from the yankmees)

Thornton

Richard

Poreda

wouldnt shock me to see the sox keep Poreda as a starter in AAA if Richard takes over in the pen...also i think carassco will probably get a spot as well in place of the kids from the yankees...also Russell may be in the mix

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Yeah, but Colon had some pretty great years in Cleveland as well. He may not have been the best pitcher in the game in 2005, but he was still pretty damn good

Yeah but he's also never been the best pitcher in his league for a given year. His ERA has dipped below 3.40 one time in his 12 year career.