Official: White Sox sign Colon

Steve9347

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Any specific reason or just a feeling?

With his injury, he may not even be back to throw off of a mound until July, let alone pitch competitively.

Also:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Contreras rolled on the ground in obvious pain, pounding his fist on the ground, before eventually leaving the field and the game. For Contreras, 36, the season is over. He won't pitch again, if he pitches again, until the second half of the 2009 season.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
Uh, did I stutter there somewhere? lol.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
Get used to it? How long have you been a fan? I have BEEN used to it for years. It just sucks. If we start this season out with this rotation and still no leadoff hitter I'm officially writing off KW. There's just no excuse.

And don't throw that "rebuilding" crap around. This team has a ridiculously high payroll with few good things to show for it. Hell, our BEST players are making pittance right now. It's mind-boggling.

Someone needs to point out a team that's maintained worse than ours now so I can feel a little better.

You are writing off a GM that has brought two division championships, two 90 win seasons, a constantly competing team, and a World Championship to the White Sox an offseason after he brought a division title out of nowhere while also helping to replenish the minor league system. He did much of the same this year while potentially setting the team up for a big run during free agency following the season, as Contreras, Thome, and Dotel will all come off of the books, Dye could easily be traded at the break if the team really is struggling (which I do not foresee happening), and Swisher and Vazquez - who very well could have been penciled into the 2010 budget - are now off the books because of trades that have happened, and in the meantime, the Sox have probably moved up around middle of the pack as far as farm systems go within a year and a half. What's the problem with that, honestly? If the team wins 90+ games in 3 of the next 5 years and 2 division titles, what is one 82 win season? That's one "wat".

Secondly, the team's payroll is really not that much lower than it was last season, and I would imagine that there are 8-10 teams and possibly more with higher payrolls than the Sox right now. It's not "ridiculously high", especially considering how ridiculous the market was over the previous 2-3 seasons. The fact that the "best players" are not making much money is much more of a good thing than it is a bad thing, because when the big contracts come off the books - notably Konerko, Thome, Dye, Contreras, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Dotel, Linebrink, and Jenks - the Sox will then be able to afford extensions for Quentin, Alexei, Danks, Floyd, and whomever else. I would also strongly consider rethinking stating that the "best players" are not making much money. The offense is nothing without all of the money that went into it, and they don't make the playoffs without the performances of Thome, Pierzynski, and Dye specifically, and Konerko, Uribe, Cabrera, and Griffey all had their moments as well. That's two "wats".

Finally, I'd argue over half the league is maintained more poorly than the White Sox. If you want just one team, I'll name the Pirates and be done. If you want more, a few others and myself could probably rattle off a few more and give you some pretty damn good reasons behind all of them. The White Sox are not maintained poorly. That's the third "wat".

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
With his injury, he may not even be back to throw off of a mound until July, let alone pitch competitively.

Also:

I recall the theatrics and the drama of the MLB reporting. I, in my opinion, don't see him taking nearly a year coming back especially given that baseball is all he has left.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)

Also:

I'm gonna agree there. The guy is 70 years old, it'll be a miracle if he comes back.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
I agree. The sox should look to sign baseball players who actually get younger going into the next season.

As long as they don't have bum hips and s***ty attitudes I'd be all for it.

Jean Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren (think the Ivan Drago look) would look pretty intimidating coming out of the pen. I've heard they're available.

Conditioning and work ethic have never been questions/concerns with Jose. I think he might actually make it back, and have a lot of life (93-96 MPH) left in that arm with a full year to rest it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
You are writing off a GM that has brought two division championships, two 90 win seasons, a constantly competing team, and a World Championship to the White Sox an offseason after he brought a division title out of nowhere while also helping to replenish the minor league system. He did much of the same this year while potentially setting the team up for a big run during free agency following the season, as Contreras, Thome, and Dotel will all come off of the books, Dye could easily be traded at the break if the team really is struggling (which I do not foresee happening), and Swisher and Vazquez - who very well could have been penciled into the 2010 budget - are now off the books because of trades that have happened, and in the meantime, the Sox have probably moved up around middle of the pack as far as farm systems go within a year and a half. What's the problem with that, honestly? If the team wins 90+ games in 3 of the next 5 years and 2 division titles, what is one 82 win season? That's one "wat".

Secondly, the team's payroll is really not that much lower than it was last season, and I would imagine that there are 8-10 teams and possibly more with higher payrolls than the Sox right now. It's not "ridiculously high", especially considering how ridiculous the market was over the previous 2-3 seasons. The fact that the "best players" are not making much money is much more of a good thing than it is a bad thing, because when the big contracts come off the books - notably Konerko, Thome, Dye, Contreras, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Dotel, Linebrink, and Jenks - the Sox will then be able to afford extensions for Quentin, Alexei, Danks, Floyd, and whomever else. I would also strongly consider rethinking stating that the "best players" are not making much money. The offense is nothing without all of the money that went into it, and they don't make the playoffs without the performances of Thome, Pierzynski, and Dye specifically, and Konerko, Uribe, Cabrera, and Griffey all had their moments as well. That's two "wats".

Finally, I'd argue over half the league is maintained more poorly than the White Sox. If you want just one team, I'll name the Pirates and be done. If you want more, a few others and myself could probably rattle off a few more and give you some pretty damn good reasons behind all of them. The White Sox are not maintained poorly. That's the third "wat".

Yes, we overpaid to get Linebrink and Dotel, but that was the market at the time and KW learned his lesson the previous year/s with the bullpen...about throwing darts at the wall in the way of former 1st rounders (Sisco/Aardsma), bringing in "crafty" veterans like Nelson or auditioning about 10 crappy lefthanders for one spot.

Still, without Linebrink and Contreras last season, we're sitting home or playing golf.

MacDougal, you can argue that one a long time, especially if Daniel Cortes ever becomes a stud. Not so much with Lumsden.

More than any two players on the team (maybe Buehrle), Contreras and Konerko were the heart of that 2005 championship and if there was/is any sentimentality in either JR/KW, it went into those two particular signings. I think the Jose deal was made with equal parts heart and brain, because it was Jose who was probably the major difference in us winning it all. I'm never going to complain about that contract, and Jose pitched well for most of the season last year until it became obvious he was trying to pitch through injuries/pain and not telling Ozzie, Cooper and Herm about it. He's that kind of pitcher....he would never complain and he just takes his spot until you have to drag him off the field, which is literally what happened. He loves to be out on that mound when he feels good, and I hope I get to see it again in my lifetime (with the White Sox). He's the kind of player you pull for, not someone like Dunn or JD Drew that just puts up his stats every year but doesn't even seem to particularly enjoy the game.

Edited by caulfield12

For all the reasons I dislike Javy, are the reasons I like Colon. Wish he was a few years younger and healthier. But if we have to take a chance on someone, I'll take a guy that pitches better the closer to October.

Another thing about Colon, I never saw a pitcher with the White Sox who was able to elevate his fastball from 90-94 in the early innings to 95-98 (with nasty movement) in the late innings of a game. If his arm/shoulder/elbow are structurally sound, I much prefer the gamble of getting him into shape/motivated (cue more Ozzie jokes about Colon and Viciedo in ST) than the far riskier gamble/s on the likes of Smoltz, Penny, Benson, Pedro, Garcia, Pavano, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
To celebrate the signing of Colon I will be watching Fat Albert , Chun Yun Fat movies, 300 (he's gotta weigh that much now ) and listening to Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen).

That's gotta be a fantastic paradox, considering everyone in that movie is 225 and ripped. Although Colon would be a great actor in this role...

006300_Leon_Laderach_001.jpg

Chow Yun Fat?

Even funnier name tie-in...the "chow/buffet" line and Colon, they'll have to increase the budget handsomely. At least that will only affect us adversely for 81 games...the other teams can share in the joy of our depreciating asset who's appreciating in weight.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
That's gotta be a fantastic paradox, considering everyone in that movie is 225 and ripped. Although Colon would be a great actor in this role...

006300_Leon_Laderach_001.jpg

But wasn't part of those Joe Six-Pack/washboard abs CGI-affects or digital enhancement?

I mean, I know Gerard Butler is in very good shape, but c'mon.

Far as I'm concerned, we were lucky and the stars aligned in 2005. Last year barely counts because we won a s*** division. The fact remains that the focus on this team has been shaky and the payroll as well as the players have not been maintained properly. How can you deny that when our roster is less impressive than many others and our youngest players aren't raking in the cash yet? The fact we have this high of a payroll is mind-boggling, and we all know how the organization is with things.