Marlins/Blue Jays interested in O Cab

bighurt4life

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1240

Not really any ground breaking info here, but its been a pretty boring offseason and we still have a month to kill before spring training starts. It would be great if either of those teams signed Cabrera, the marlins have the 18th pick and the Jays have the 20th. The guy is going to end up playing somewhere

I can see why the Marlins would want OCab. They only have Hanley on offense and they still won 84 games. Putting OCab at 2b and to hit #2 would help improve their offense. They also have a lot of young talent in the minors through their trades, so losing out on their draft pick would hurt them less than a team like Toronto.

If you're the Blue Jays and Ricciardi, why would you want Orlando Cabrera? For respectability?

Unfortunately, their only hope is to deal Halladay, Rios and Vernon Wells and start over from scratch and try the Rays' approach. There's simply no realistic way for them to compete in that division...they have Snider to build around, but there's few teams that would be better off with a total rebuild. Baltimore is already sort of in the process as well, although the Blue Jays have better pitching and the much higher likelihood of being a .500 ballclub, but they're really just jockeying for draft position in 2010. Losing Burnett was the finally tipping point to limit any realistic chance of competing this season.

Putting OCab at 2b and to hit #2 would help improve their offense

The question is finding a suitable trading partner for Uggla AND whether a team like the Marlins is willing to pay an Orlando Hudson or Orlando Cabrera $6-9 million per season with their budgetary constraints.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)

The question is finding a suitable trading partner for Uggla AND whether a team like the Marlins is willing to pay an Orlando Hudson or Orlando Cabrera $6-9 million per season with their budgetary constraints.

The Marlins had only one starter hit over .277 last year-Hanley. If they added Cabrera's bat, he would be an improvement. I'm going by published reports that say the Marlins might be interested. Whether there's truth to it, who knows. But their offense needs help. With the Braves, Phillies and Mets making improvements, the Marlins need to add as well.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
The Marlins had only one starter hit over .277 last year-Hanley. If they added Cabrera's bat, he would be an improvement. I'm going by published reports that say the Marlins might be interested. Whether there's truth to it, who knows. But their offense needs help. With the Braves, Phillies and Mets making improvements, the Marlins need to add as well.

Where would they play Uggla? 32 homers ,.360 OBP, a fraction of the cost of Cabrera and Cabrera now has the reputation of being a "me" guy and the Marlins probably don't want to surrender their first round pick. I don't see any way this happens.

Hanley Ramirez BTW is a brutal SS defensively. Brutal. It would really be something if OC was moved to 2B because of him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Where would they play Uggla? 32 homers ,.360 OBP, a fraction of the cost of Cabrera and Cabrera now has the reputation of being a "me" guy and the Marlins probably don't want to surrender their first round pick. I don't see any way this happens.

Hanley Ramirez BTW is a brutal SS defensively. Brutal. It would really be something if OC was moved to 2B because of him.

The Marlins would like to trade Uggla but havent been getting the interest they expected. Also, there has been some talk of moving Hanley to 3B b/c his defense at SS hasnt progressed as they'd like it to.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)

I'm not trying to get into the minds of the Marlins. But they do need to add hitters-esp. a #2 hitter like Cabrera. They are capable of winning the division with their 83 wins last year, without much offensively.

Uggla, though, has been mentioned to be on the block, and possibly moved from 2b. Who knows if Hanley would be agreeable to move to 3b.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 06:54 AM)
If you're the Blue Jays and Ricciardi, why would you want Orlando Cabrera? For respectability?

Unfortunately, their only hope is to deal Halladay, Rios and Vernon Wells and start over from scratch and try the Rays' approach. There's simply no realistic way for them to compete in that division...they have Snider to build around, but there's few teams that would be better off with a total rebuild. Baltimore is already sort of in the process as well, although the Blue Jays have better pitching and the much higher likelihood of being a .500 ballclub, but they're really just jockeying for draft position in 2010. Losing Burnett was the finally tipping point to limit any realistic chance of competing this season.

Didn't Toronto have the best rotation in baesball ERA wise last year? Did they lose anyone to injury?

Never saw a year like this with every team waiting so long. Cabrera is probably going to get half what he turned down from the White Sox. We still get 2 top draft picks from whomever is the ;ucky team. That also is a question that I have....since any team that signs a "Type A" free agent, owes the team that lost them 2 first round draft picks. What happens when the Yankees signed 3 type A's. They don't have enough draft picks to meet the rules? Anybody have a clue how this one works?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:21 AM)
Never saw a year like this with every team waiting so long. Cabrera is probably going to get half what he turned down from the White Sox. We still get 2 top draft picks from whomever is the ;ucky team. That also is a question that I have....since any team that signs a "Type A" free agent, owes the team that lost them 2 first round draft picks. What happens when the Yankees signed 3 type A's. They don't have enough draft picks to meet the rules? Anybody have a clue how this one works?

If a team signs a type A free agent they have to relinquish only their first round pick (the team who lost the type A player also receives a compensatory sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds) unless their 1st rounder falls within the top 15 picks, then they have to give up their second rounder. Since the Yankees have signed 3 Type A free agents their 1st round pick will go to the former team of the newly signed player who ranked the highest in the Elias player rankings, the next highest gets their 2nd round pick and the lowest ranked gets their 3rd. So since Teixeira was the highest ranked type A free agent signed by the Yankees the Angels will receive their 1st round pick, Sabathia finished a few hundredths of a point lower so the Brewers get their 2nd rounder and the Blue Jays get their 3rd round pick as compensation for the loss of Burnett.

There's actually a limit as to the number of type A & B free agents a team can sign in a given offseason, that number is determined by the amount of Type A & B free agents that are on the market.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
If a team signs a type A free agent they have to relinquish only their first round pick (the team who lost the type A player also receives a compensatory sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds) unless their 1st rounder falls within the top 15 picks, then they have to give up their second rounder. Since the Yankees have signed 3 Type A free agents their 1st round pick will go to the former team of the newly signed player who ranked the highest in the Elias player rankings, the next highest gets their 2nd round pick and the lowest ranked gets their 3rd. So since Teixeira was the highest ranked type A free agent signed by the Yankees the Angels will receive their 1st round pick, Sabathia finished a few hundredths of a point lower so the Brewers get their 2nd rounder and the Blue Jays get their 3rd round pick as compensation for the loss of Burnett.

There's actually a limit to the number of type A & B free agents a team can sign in a given offseason, that number is determined by the amount of Type A & B free agents that are on the market.

Thanx, That should be the next issue at the owners meetings...

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 01:12 AM)
Thanx, That should be the next issue at the owners meetings...

I edited my post so make sure you re-read it, I was thinking of something else entirely so I went back and corrected the statement accordingly with the proper information.

• 4 weeks later...

San Francisco Chronicle:

Cabrera update: According to a source, the A's are expected to start discussions with Orlando Cabrera's agent, Dan Lozano, when general manager Billy Beane returns from a speaking engagement in New Zealand this week.

The A's are not interested in Cabrera if he's still looking to make in the $9 million range he earned last year with the Chicago White Sox, but the team would not lose a first-round draft pick to sign him, even though the shortstop is a Type-A free agent. Because the A's have one of the top 15 picks in the draft, they would instead surrender their second-round pick.

Getting Cabrera at a bargain rate might not be a given. A source said that he has considered sitting out until after the season starts if offers aren't to his liking.